• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do they get away with having construction on show?

DaMalfishentQuen

Earning My Ears
I know it's kind of inevitable but i always wondered why it is SO on show
does it not ruin the "illusion"
I swear disney are getting looser and looser with there magic and only care about money these days.

Are you referring to something specific, or generally? Usually they have big construction walls and/or scrims to minimize the impact of construction or refurbs.

But there are large projects (like the current 7DMT) that are just too big to hide. I mean- how do you hide a mountain? As far as new attractions go- I don't think they're ruining the magic- we all know that the Fairy Godmother isn't going to come by in the dead of night and make something magically appear. I love seeing photos of new attractions as they grow over time.

Yes the walls can only go up so high, I remember being fascinated watching the progression of EE going up and with each piece higher and higher I told myself " No Way !!" Its one of my favorites now I also have no problem with the crane near the castle at certain times of year getting it "show ready" Sometimes things have to be out in the open, for me its great photo OPs One of my all time favorite picture series is when I got up super early at POP and found a worker "cleaning" Tramps teeth and giving him a bath LOVED it !

It appears to me too that more and more construction is visible nowadays. I don't think that they attempt to hide it as much but I agree that they can't easily hide a large project.

I love seeing photos of new attractions as they grow over time.

I agree. Josh at easywdw has been posting pictures of the 7DMT construction and I think it's been interesting to watch the progress. And I was at AK when EE was under construction and I definitely took pictures.

They actually are getting looser with the "magic." A friend who's been a CM for almost 30 years told me that they used to get the lights on Cinderella's Castle up and down in one night - there were never any cranes around the castle. There isn't even any attempt any more to hide things. And I find it very disappointing.

They actually are getting looser with the "magic." A friend who's been a CM for almost 30 years told me that they used to get the lights on Cinderella's Castle up and down in one night - there were never any cranes around the castle. There isn't even any attempt any more to hide things. And I find it very disappointing.

I find that interesting. It takes a very long time to put up the lights. The current lights have only been on the castle for the last 5 years or so, so yes I would assume the easier old lights went up faster........

A friend who's been a CM for almost 30 years told me that they used to get the lights on Cinderella's Castle up and down in one night .

But in the "old days" the lighting was much simpler. So I can understand that. They weren't doing curtain lights over the whole castle.

I find that interesting. It takes a very long time to put up the lights. The current lights have only been on the castle for the last 5 years or so, so yes I would assume the easier old lights went up faster........

I went to WDW in December in both 2006 and 2007, so I know that the current lights have been done since 2007. However, in looking at my pictures from 2006, I can't see any lights on the castle. And it definitely takes a long time to put the current castle lights up because there's something like 200,000 of them.

No offense, but I find this a bit picky. You can't have your cake an eat it, too. When it comes to large projects, there's only so much they can do. I would much rather have to see some construction temporarily that might throw some reality into WDW and have EE and New Fantasyland than not.

I'm a division supervisor at a large restoration/construction company, and quite frankly, I find what they do at Disney as far as construction to be nothing short of incredible. It's unbelievable what they get done overnight, and I just don't see how you can ask that they do more. I just don't think that is understanding the trade and what all they have to get done. Even the flower and garden festival preparations are incredible.

I swear disney are getting looser and looser with there magic and only care about money these days.

How many think the # 1 priority at the top of Disney's list is money vs pleasing their guests?
I for 1 think its all about the almighty dollar.

That's true. Of course, it was only a third of the lights that are on the castle now, and when the crew took them down at the end, they literally ripped them down and trashed them instead of trying to save them for the following year. So it was a slightly different type of install and strike. Plus, the parks probably closed at 6 or 7pm on install nights instead of 10 or 11pm, which means that "one night" had at least four or five more hours in it than it does now.

Guests are demanding longer hours (Close at 7? Horrors!), which means that parks don't have the turn-around time they had back when the parks could put the lights up in one night. But people forget that kind of thing when they're being nostalgic about "the good old days".

:earsboy:

If my menory serves me, I do not think that they used to put lights on the castle for Christmas time, other than flood lights.

And this display certainly does take some time and expertise to accomplish, as do the Osborne lights....

https://www.google.com/search?q=cin...08,d.aWc&fp=1616e0af8c94ef68&biw=1536&bih=789

As much as I dislike construction walls and scrims, I'd rather see them up then have them a) close early or b) close period.

We went to MK the first day of our trip and then again in the last day, 6 days later. It was neat I see the progress that had been made on the 7DMT in that short time. There are also little windows for kids, and adults, to look at the construction. Since they can't hide something that big, I like that they let us see it. Got us more excited!

OP, between this thread and other posts, it sounds like maybe Disney has lost some of the magic for you. It can happen to anyone who goes often and sometimes you need a trip somewhere else before you can start to feel that Disney magic again.

I went in February of this year and was greatly disappointed by the New Fantasyland. I realize that they can't disguise something as large as the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. There was just so much construction. There was too much walking around everything. I don't understand why four separate stories had to be built all at once (Little Mermaid, Belle, Snow White, Circus) Two new castles (Beast, Prince Eric)? They seem to diminish how special Cinderella's castle is.

Everything is so packed in together none seems "magical" to me. Just my opinion. I probably won't be visiting this area too often. I find that the story of Dumbo just so sad, circus animals were so badly treated which is why we don't see too many circuses today.

It's just me, I'm sure that many people will love it and I hope they do.
I'm going back to Disney for a second time this year. Usually go every five years! I agree with OP though, I think Disney has lost touch with Disney magic.

It sort of makes me chuckle... people want expansion, new rides, new lands, new parks and then complain because of the work that has to be done. Disney does an amazing job at doing everything they can to minimize the impact to the guest but you can not block everything. It is impossible. You have to give to get.

It sort of makes me chuckle... people want expansion, new rides, new lands, new parks and then complain because of the work that has to be done. Disney does an amazing job at doing everything they can to minimize the impact to the guest but you can not block everything. It is impossible. You have to give to get.

I don't know about this. They are taking an extremely long time to finish the Dwarf Mine Train, and they didn't have to open the other parts of New Fantasyland early. It could have all been opened up at one time those shielding some of the work.

It is odd walking all around the Mine Train. It does take away from the whole experience. I think this is an example of bad planning, and it does detract from the Magic.

It could have been handled better.

Now for something like Avatar Land IF it goes in Camp Minnie Mickey - that will be out of the way, and easily hidden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter