• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do resalers make their money??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I know you pay closing costs through a resaler. But I thought it was just the taxs/maintenance for that year. Are their other costs I need to weigh? Disney I know you don't have closing costs. And is your use year when you bought in , if I go through Disney? Like if I buy in Oct will that be my use year?

The closing costs do not go to the resale agent at all, they go to the closing agent and then much of the funds are dispersed. DVC gets $100 transfer, then there's recording fees. The rest goes to the closing company for deed prep, mailings, etc. Resale agents make their money from commisions for the seller of in some cases, up front listing charges. As you might guess, the companies with the up front charges aren't the good ones and they usually take the money and run. Most resale agents have a minimum, usually between $995 and $1500 though I've seen as low as $795 and as high as $2000. Most also take a percent if it's above the minimum, usually 12-15%. Since DVC is easy to sell, I don't know why most people would sell through an agent. That's not to say that the ones that specialize in DVC do anything wrong, they don't. They are great companies for the most part.

If you purchase resale, the use year will be whatever use year the original contract has.

If you purchase through Disney, the use year will be whatever use year they are currently selling. It may or may not be (usually not) the actual use year month in which calendar month you make the actual purchase.

Sometimes Disney will have more than one use year month available. In this case ask what months are available for purchase and take your pick.

All a broker does is find a buyer and head you in the right direction, toward a closing agent. DVC as well as some of us on this board can points you to good closing agents. It's really very simple.

1) Selling DVC yourself is easier than you think.
2) You can pay as little as $15 (buyer pays closing)
3) Once sold, send the contract to Closing Agency.
4) The closing company handles everything else, including ROFR

5) Places to advertise
. . . eBay, auction, with the first bid as your minimum
. . . TUG (Timeshare Users Group), $15 to join, then advertise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter