How do I pack my backless booster for the plane?

Mommytwotwins

Mouseketeer
I am bringing 2 backless booster seats(I hate these) for both my girls to use in our rent a car. I will check them with our luggage but I can't seem to find anything to put them in. I have seen bags made for regular seats or boosters with a back but not small ones for these. Anyone have advise?? I am not a fan of these seats but the ones we normally use are just so big to lug to the airport. My girls are 6 so they should be fine in them it's just me who will be uneasy about them.

I am bringing 2 backless booster seats(I hate these) for both my girls to use in our rent a car. I will check them with our luggage but I can't seem to find anything to put them in. I have seen bags made for regular seats or boosters with a back but not small ones for these. Anyone have advise?? I am not a fan of these seats but the ones we normally use are just so big to lug to the airport. My girls are 6 so they should be fine in them it's just me who will be uneasy about them.

I went to the Army/Navy surplus store and got a duffle bag for under $15. I put his backless booster in, then all his clothes, and some of mine as well! The one I had would hold 2 boosters, and all the clothing for 2 6 year olds.

We carried it on as a carryone for one trip. last year we didn't bring one since the Florida state requirements are lower than the PA ones. I wished we did though because my son couldn't see out of the windows of the rental car! We upgraded our car and the larger seats were also lower.
My son is 9 this year and won't need one.

I used a duffel bag too, but I used one with wheels. My DD's booster fit in one half of it, so both boosters should fit fine. The other advantage of a duffel bag is that you can stuff all kinds of things in it. For instance, we brought our pool noodles in it :).

i bought a special carseat bag (I had it when we used to need the big carseat) and it now fits the 2 boosters with lots of room to spare. Whats nice is, theres extra room, so i stuff in beach towels, if needed, or other stuff like shoes, etc that take up space in the suitcase. check target or babies r us.

Thanks! I totaly forgot I need to bring their floatation things for the pool! I think a duffle will work great!

We flew Midwest in 2006 and gate-checked ours with our stroller.

why dont you just use them on the plane?!

i believe that car seats do not count as luggage at all! :)

i believe that car seats do not count as luggage at all!

I don't believe you are allowed to do this, as only FAA-approved car seats are allowed to be used on board, which backless boosters definitely are not.

Of course, you can always carry them on the plane as/in a carry-on, but you would not be allowed to use them.

We actually pack our backless booster in the same bag as our stroller--the stroller bag is too big for the little MacLaren stroller we bring, so we tuck the backless booster in there with some sweatshirts, etc., for cushioning. Not sure if you're also bringing strollers, but thought I'd share in case it was helpful...

When we flew 2 years ago, the airline provided clear plastic bags for our backless seats. Our seats actually had backs that folded/slid into the seat cushion and also had a carrying strap---if that makes any difference.

We just flew this past week to Disney. We brought a backless booster with us. We were flying with Delta that now charges per bag. They do not charge for a booster seat, it is considered a special item. We did not put it in anything. They just stuck a luggage tag on it. Had we had it in a duffle bag or something else (other then a clear bag), we would have been charged for it.

When we flew 2 years ago, the airline provided clear plastic bags for our backless seats. Our seats actually had backs that folded/slid into the seat cushion and also had a carrying strap---if that makes any difference.
I wouldn't count on the airlines offering a free plastic bag. We flew Airtran a few years ago and they offered a plastic bag on the way to MCO. We ripped the bag open when we arrived instead of saving the bag for later use. There were no plastic bags available on the way home and I had to send my booster into the cargo hold naked. My booster's seat was damaged and one of the cushions on the arms was missing (we didn't think to remove them). Our flight was the LAST Airtran flight into Madison as they were discontinuing service to our city and I was never able to get Airtran to pay for the damage. They ignored all attempts to contact them.

Very carefully. I have flown with full car seats across the Atlantic on many occasions without a problem - most of the time, they put them in a clear plastic bag to keep them clean and safe. We flew again over Christmas, and ds was big enough for a backless booster - so that's what we used, and checked it at the counter as normal. It never made it on the plane - so needless to say I was up a creek without a paddle when I arrived in London with no booster !! It did eventually show up 5 days later, it was delivered to my parents house, where we were staying, at 10pm the day after Christmas !!

We always check ours without a problem. They put it in a big clear plastic bag at checkin. The duffle bag sounds like a good idea though.

If you do plan to check the seat at the gate, please make sure to bring your own clear plastic bag. I have watched many times as luggage handlers have placed car seats on the runway in the pouring rain & felt very sorry for the child that would have to sit in it on the ride to Disney!

:goodvibesFigment is right they cannot be used on the airplane as they do not have shoulder harness seat belts. The same goes for a car they should only be used with a shoulder belt and not just a lap belt.

i believe that car seats do not count as luggage at all! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter