• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do I keep kitten away from X-mas tree?

hkhexom

Earning My Ears
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how to keep my 5 month old kitten away from my x-mas tree. He's usually fine when we are awake but when we try to go to sleep he attacks the tree. I have tried squirting him with a water bottle but I just don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Would it be possible to move the tree to another room that the kitten can't get to? (Or perhaps put the kitten in his own room during the night or when you're not going to be home?). We have a "chewer," so our tree is now in our dining room (the cats can't get in). Whatever you do, my advice would be to watch out for the tinsel & icicles since they could be fatal to your furbaby.

My cat used to be that way. Then one day I took her and threw her at the tree as hard as I could. I only had to throw her at the tree twice but now she leaves it alone. I broke a few bulbs, but it was worth it. ;) :teeth:

When we had a car we used to have to put eye hooks in the wall to tie the tree to, she would try to climb it and knock it over all the time and if we didn't have it anchored it would topple!

Tiziminchac said:
My cat used to be that way. Then one day I took her and threw her at the tree as hard as I could. I only had to throw her at the tree twice but now she leaves it alone. I broke a few bulbs, but it was worth it. ;) :teeth:

Wow, that sounds pretty cruel. :sad2: I would never "throw" my cat at anything!!

I would shut the kitten in a room away from the tree for overnights.

Try not to have too many ornaments dangling from the bottom, and if it's a really big problem you could try that plug in thing that's supposed to mellow them out (sorry don't remember what it's called but I could find out). My vet swears by it.

Tiziminchac said:

Holy cow, I hope your joking because if not...I feel very sorry for any animals in your house.

We did the spray with anti-cat stuff, and have the noisy can to shake whenever they got near the tree. We only had cats flying out of the tree a couple times. It does seem to get better as they get older, though.

hkhexom said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how to keep my 5 month old kitten away from my x-mas tree. He's usually fine when we are awake but when we try to go to sleep he attacks the tree. I have tried squirting him with a water bottle but I just don't know what else to do. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

When we had kittens (before they grew up), they would climb the tree. Then the older ones would drink the water from the base of the tree.
We gave up and got a fake tree, which doesn't seem to have the same appeal to them.

There is no way I know to keep kittens away from a tree. OTOH, the best photos I have of that Christmas tree (when they were little) is of little furry bodies with big sweet eyes looking out amongst the bulbs. We did keep them in thier room at night, though.

Tiz...good chuckle!

I would cage or room the kitty separate from the tree when unsupervised.

I would also baby proof the tree. That means hanging ornaments above temptation level..the level at which kitty would play without climbing the tree. That will help for daytime.

Kitties are fascinated with their first Christmas tree.

Mine are well accustomed to finding their cozy spot on the tree skirt and enjoying the atmosphere now that they are older. :)

We've never had to lock kitty up though as we have been very fortunate. The most we've ever had is an ornament or two on the floor that were at lower levels (but not breakable). We have had 6 cats in the course of living in our home the past 7 years...we presently have 4.

Tiziminchac said:

I hope that's a joke. :sad2:

We're fortunate in that our cats aren't terribly interested in doing much of anything with our tree except for hide underneath it (which they both love to do).

Sebastian will occasionally gnaw on a branch (though he did this more when we had an artificial tree). Chloe will knock ornaments down off the lower branches in the middle of the night and bat them around, but we put some nonbreakable ornaments down there in anticipation of that. ;)

We use a spray bottle with water to keep them away from stuff, usually a little squirt and they are off and stay off for awhile. I also agree with keeping the ornaments away from the bottom of the tree so it's not as tempting! :)

mommyintn said:
We use a spray bottle with water to keep them away from stuff, usually a little squirt and they are off and stay off for awhile. I also agree with keeping the ornaments away from the bottom of the tree so it's not as tempting! :)

But don't spray on electrified tree!!!! :scared1:

I don't have a cat but I remember hearing that if you want cats not to go on furniture you can put strips of double sided tape on it. They hate the sticky feeling. You can maybe put it around the tree? Try it. I don't think it would hurt. Just a thought.

Ummm...wait for the kitten to outgrow it. ;)

I have lost many a tree to cats in my house. One Xmas eve, we came home to find our tree hanging down like an upside down check mark. Our cat had been up in the tree and when she jumped out, she snapped it in two. Only the lights were holding it together. We had to duct tape the tree together.

I wish I knew some advice for you!! I have 8 cats, and never could stop them from "re-decorating" my Christmas tree. We used to photograph it when we put it up, and then in our Christmas pictures our tree looked TOTALLY different!! :rotfl2:

You might try locking the kitten up at night. We just thought it was "part of being a kitten". However, it doesn't last forever. They get fat and lazy soon enough.

Last year my kitten was obsessed with the tree this year he still baits at the ornaments but doesn't attack it like he did last year. However the current kitten really could care less about the tree.

Spray that cat spray they have that keeps cats away from things. Cats are really sensative to the smell. We spray it and the cats run away so fast! Also don't hang anything attractive on the bottom to draw interest from the kitten. When you start seeing the kitten go for the tree bring out a toy or something else to play with.

Good luck our tree took a beating last year!

aprilgail2 said:
When we had a cat we used to have to put eye hooks in the wall to tie the tree to, she would try to climb it and knock it over all the time and if we didn't have it anchored it would topple!

This is what we do...we also bend all the ornaments hooks around the branches so they don’t come off with a good shake...The cat is just obsessed with the tree so we gave up on trying keeping him off it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter