• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do I get through security at the airport with son's diabetic supplies?

So you think the radiation from the X-ray may be dangerous with the insulin?

My doctor and pharmacist assure me it isn't (I use Novolog) - but best bet is to discuss it with your child's doctor and pharmacist - they really are the only ones that will know best.

So you think the radiation from the X-ray may be dangerous with the insulin?

Well I really do not know, and quite honestly wouldn't have thought of it if my SIL had not made a comment about it. My niece is diabetic and SIL told me the first time I flew after starting my meds to let TSA hand inspect, not to send it through x-ray, as that is what they always do with my neices insulin. With her being an RN I took that info to heart.
No TSA has ever given me too hard of a time about it, so I figured that they were use to it and I wasn't too far out of line with my paranioa.;)

Seems like you have some great, experienced advice here. :goodvibes

... and be ready to argue with idiots if necessary. Sorry, but when you putfoolsin charge of useless security theater, this is what you have to deal with.

WOW! A bit harsh on people who are doing their job and in charge of a seemingly impossible task, no? So much for respecting people who are doing what they can to try to keep us safe.

- Dreams

My DH has been a type 1 diabetic for almost 30 years and on an insulin pump for the last 6 years. When we travel he carries a note from his Endocrinologist listing what his diabetic supplies are including pump supplies (when we were traveling internationally through Germany once he was stopped and questioned for about 10 minutes, but the note worked perfectly). He also works at Orlando International airport and has to go through security with his pump on multiple times per day, he just holds the pump in his hand and they look it over and he goes through.

My son is now 11 and was diagnosed when he was 1. We've been flying with him for years and I can honestly say we have NEVER, EVER been stopped by security any where. The last time we flew was this past Jan, we were on the Magic. I carry on juice boxes, water, insulin, needles for way more days than needed but better safe than sorry ;)
They are all very nice. Right when I put it on the belt I say my son is diabetic and this is his supply bag with juice and water in it and that is it.
I think they see hundreds of diabetics a day and with so many type 2 now I dont think they even take a second look at it. My son wears a pump (we bring the needles in case something happens to it) and that never causes a problem either. Have a great time!

Thank you all for your great advice:thumbsup2. I never thought of the possibility of the X-ray machines potentially being dangerous on the insulin that we inject. Although there is probably a minuscule chance of it. It's a chance I'm not willing to take with my son so I will be having TSA inspect our case by hand rather than through the machine:)

I want to add to the great advice listed above...
You have the right to ask any TSA agent to don a clean pair of gloves before they inspect your medical equipment.

Remember, half the people will be going with clean laundry and half will be coming back with dirty laundry!!!:rotfl:

I'm a veteran insulin pumper (22 years), and I have traveled over a half million airline miles in the last decade.

First, congratulations on taking an active interest in managing your kid's diabetes. It is only through parents like you that kids can take charge of this manageable disease and enjoy life. I'm proud of you.

Second, here are a few tips that I can pass on from my experience.

1. Airport security is nothing to worry about. It can be a bit frustrating, but just grin and bear it. I have never traveled with a doctor's note (including to Asia and Europe) and never had an issue. I recommend telling the screeners before you have your carryons scanned that you have diabetes supplies, and if your child wears an insulin pump or continuous glucose monitor, I definitely recommend telling the screeners before your child goes through one of the new full body x-ray scanners. Just be helpful, and the process goes more smoothly.

2. According to the FDA-approved product inserts found in every package of insulin, you can keep insulin out of the fridge for 28 days without concern. I never worry about keeping insulin cool during travel (even in the hotel room or stateroom!), but I certainly don't leave it in a parked car in July. I think the insulin cooling packs are unnecessary during the vast majority of travel, particularly in light of FDA guidance.

3. I have to address the person who came to the defense of the TSA in dealing with diabetics. While I have found the majority of TSA agents to be pleasant, well intentioned people, I have found their training to be lacking, with as many different procedures for dealing with diabetic supplies as there are airports. I'm not going to go into specific detail, but some of their procedures are indeed purely theatrical and utterly devoid of substance. Unfortunately, I have experienced some TSA agents who seem to be several sandwiches short of a picnic, and explaining insulin pumps is a lost cause. If you ever get one of these agents, smile and respectfully ask for a supervisor.

4. Insulin is just fine going through the xray scanner.

Good luck, smile, and best of luck! Enjoy your trip!

Thank you all for your great advice:thumbsup2. I never thought of the possibility of the X-ray machines potentially being dangerous on the insulin that we inject. Although there is probably a minuscule chance of it. It's a chance I'm not willing to take with my son so I will be having TSA inspect our case by hand rather than through the machine:)

I assure you, there is no chance of the XR machine harming your insulin. Don't waste your time. Enjoy your trip!

Just thought I would mention here that Disney has Sharps boxes onboard their ships so if you need one just let them know. We mailed a medical form in advance of our recent cruise but were later told that if you just call guest services once you board and a cast member will deliver it to your stateroom. They also take care of it after your cruise as well. It was so easy. Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

Just thought I would mention here that Disney has Sharps boxes onboard their ships so if you need one just let them know. They also take care of it after your cruise as well. It was so easy. Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

That's great to know! I was going to order an extra one to take with me - but if they have one I can use - so much the better! One less thing to pack... more room to bring home fun "stuff"!! :thanks:

Michelle

I know many of you have mentioned the xray and insulin being safe. However I know my son's pump company will void your warranty if you tell them you put in through x-ray screening and that the xray can harm the pump itself.

We just got off the wonder last week and my son is 7 1/2 on a pump. We did not have to fly but did not have any issues at the port at all. We actaully choose DCL because of the wavephone and kids clubs :)

Relax and have fun!

How do I get my pump through airport security?
A:
While going through airport security, please keep these important things in mind. Your pump should not go through the X-ray screening that is used for carry-on or checked luggage. The new airport screening, Whole Body Imaging Technology, is also a form of X-ray. If you are chosen to go through this form of screening, you will need to disconnect from the pump at your skin site prior to the scan and request alternate methods of screening the pump other than using X-ray. Your infusion set may remain in place. For more information on traveling with pumps, in the United States, visit the American Diabetes Association website, You can also call your local airport or airline for security guidelines that may apply.

I know many of you have mentioned the xray and insulin being safe. However I know my son's pump company will void your warranty if you tell them you put in through x-ray screening and that the xray can harm the pump itself.

We just got off the wonder last week and my son is 7 1/2 on a pump. We did not have to fly but did not have any issues at the port at all. We actaully choose DCL because of the wavephone and kids clubs :)

Relax and have fun!

A:
While going through airport security, please keep these important things in mind. Your pump should not go through the X-ray screening that is used for carry-on or checked luggage. The new airport screening, Whole Body Imaging Technology, is also a form of X-ray. If you are chosen to go through this form of screening, you will need to disconnect from the pump at your skin site prior to the scan and request alternate methods of screening the pump other than using X-ray. Your infusion set may remain in place. For more information on traveling with pumps, in the United States, visit the American Diabetes Association website, You can also call your local airport or airline for security guidelines that may apply.

:thumbsup2 Good point!

Relax and have fun!

A:

This is good information :)

I'm a veteran insulin pumper (22 years), and I have traveled over a half million airline miles in the last decade.

First, congratulations on taking an active interest in managing your kid's diabetes. It is only through parents like you that kids can take charge of this manageable disease and enjoy life. I'm proud of you.

Second, here are a few tips that I can pass on from my experience.

1. Airport security is nothing to worry about. It can be a bit frustrating, but just grin and bear it. I have never traveled with a doctor's note (including to Asia and Europe) and never had an issue. I recommend telling the screeners before you have your carryons scanned that you have diabetes supplies, and if your child wears an insulin pump or continuous glucose monitor, I definitely recommend telling the screeners before your child goes through one of the new full body x-ray scanners. Just be helpful, and the process goes more smoothly.

2. According to the FDA-approved product inserts found in every package of insulin, you can keep insulin out of the fridge for 28 days without concern. I never worry about keeping insulin cool during travel (even in the hotel room or stateroom!), but I certainly don't leave it in a parked car in July. I think the insulin cooling packs are unnecessary during the vast majority of travel, particularly in light of FDA guidance.

3. I have to address the person who came to the defense of the TSA in dealing with diabetics. While I have found the majority of TSA agents to be pleasant, well intentioned people, I have found their training to be lacking, with as many different procedures for dealing with diabetic supplies as there are airports. I'm not going to go into specific detail, but some of their procedures are indeed purely theatrical and utterly devoid of substance. Unfortunately, I have experienced some TSA agents who seem to be several sandwiches short of a picnic, and explaining insulin pumps is a lost cause. If you ever get one of these agents, smile and respectfully ask for a supervisor.

4. Insulin is just fine going through the xray scanner.

Good luck, smile, and best of luck! Enjoy your trip!

Thank you. Our son was diagnosed at 2 years old. He is the most important thing to me and it's been really hard but we are always praying and hopeful for a cure soon

My doctor and pharmacist assure me it isn't (I use Novolog) - but best bet is to discuss it with your child's doctor and pharmacist - they really are the only ones that will know best.

Thanks guys! This thread has been great information! My daughter was just diagnosed this week with Type 1, and we just got out of the hospital. But I want to say, that this may depend on the brand of insulin, perhaps? Because the instructions that came with one of the two of her types of insulin said not to put it through x-ray machines at the airport. The other one didn't carry that warning.

Thanks guys! This thread has been great information! My daughter was just diagnosed this week with Type 1, and we just got out of the hospital. But I want to say, that this may depend on the brand of insulin, perhaps? Because the instructions that came with one of the two of her types of insulin said not to put it through x-ray machines at the airport. The other one didn't carry that warning.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your DD's diagnosis. I have been there. My DD was diagnosed at 9 years of age. We have had our new normal now for 2 1/2 years. BTW, I have never had an issue with her Novolog going through the x-ray at the airport.

Have you found this site: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

They are very helpful. We have all been through it.

Good luck. :grouphug:

My kit does contain a ice pack as well and again there will not be any issues. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I have had "issues" with ice packs for medical reasons before. I was carrying breastmilk and had a half-frozen icepack that wasn't solid. They weren't going to let me take it through but I got a supervisor's supervisor to look up the requirements :rolleyes: I had been at a customer site all day and the ice pack had been doing its job since 9am and I had a 5pm flight. So just be aware that they might give you grief, but know your rights and don't be afraid to stand up for them.

As far as "declaring" objects to TSA, I always pull it out and put it in the bin container where they can see what it is, but I generally don't directly point it out to them unless they ask.

Thank you for that link:thumbsup2 they didn't mention if I need a note from the doctor or the actual printouts from the pharmacy. Do you guys think I should get one?

I am diabetic and I always get a travel letter from my doctor. I have never had a problem with TSA carrying my supplies.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your DD's diagnosis. I have been there. My DD was diagnosed at 9 years of age. We have had our new normal now for 2 1/2 years. BTW, I have never had an issue with her Novolog going through the x-ray at the airport.

Have you found this site:

They are very helpful. We have all been through it.

Good luck. :grouphug:

Thanks so much! I just registered for that forum - it looks like it will be a great resource! My daughter just turned 4 (diagnosed 2 days after her birthday - Happy Birthday!), and I can't believe how well she is taking it. If she can be positive, so can we! I was looking at this forum b/c I'm thinking ahead to our Disney Cruise in October. I'm glad to see that Disney is so accommodating. We even got a Disney Mickey Mouse Playhouse book about Diabetes at the hospital - she's had me read her the book repeatedly.

Back to the topic at hand - I think that just to be safe, I will carry her insulin in a separate pack and ask them to hand-inspect it, while I send the other supplies through the x-ray. When I looked back at the materials that I read in the hospital, it said to make sure that no insulin was packed in your checked luggage b/c the powerful x-rays they use can damage it. It may be that the x-rays used for the carry-on bags are okay, but I'd rather not take the risk. At my daughter's age and small body, even a very slight change in efficacy could have quite an effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter