How do I get over myself? Picture added in first post

First...your ring is gorgeous. I mean drop-dead gorgeous! I'm not even into jewelry and I would wear it. In fact, I kind of wish DH had given me a sapphire engagement ring but he wanted to give me his grandma's diamond.

Second...nobody will ever ask where you got the ring. Nobody. They just won't.

Third...BUY THAT GORGEOUS RING DANGIT!!

Have a lovely wedding :-)

OP, the ring is unique, so for that reason I think you might get some questions on where it came from. Just be prepared to say it was a gift from DH and you thought it was in poor taste to ask, so you didn't. :p

All that really matters is whether it will bother YOU. It shouldn't, but you need to be honest with yourself.

Basically, only you can decide if having a Wal-mart (or Overstock) ring will bother you long term. The overstock ring is very pretty (the Wal-mart link did not work). As far as where it is from, I have never thought to ask anyone that question, nor heard it being asked.

As others have said, marriage is about the two people in it. The ring is symbolic of the marriage - so up to you to decide.

I borrowed my dress for my wedding! I was the thrid person to wear it. This did not bother me and I did accept the offer of the dress because the dress specifics were not very important to me (well, other than the color - I really wanted an off-white dress) and this borrowed dress was the right color and the right fit...I'm sure I could have found a brand-new dress in my budget, but because this aspect was not so important to me, I've never regretted it.

Good luck to you both and may your luck turn around for the better!

You may get questions about where your ring is from or what the stones are since it isn't a traditional wedding ring but if you love it, get it!

Most people will just comment on the design of the ring and not so much where it came from.

I've been married for 8 years and we had a frugal wedding at a church (50 people, just cake and punch reception, sister did flowers at wholesale cost, and no DJ or professional photographer, dress was a David's Bridal $99 gown). If we could do it over again we would...not a more fancy wedding, but either elope or have immediate family only!

Enjoy your private ceremony with your loved ones. In the future you will look back and realize the intimate wedding was so much more special than an elaborate wedding which is over in a few hours.

I wouldn't even worry about it. If you like the ring, get it. Jewelry store rings are super inflated anyway.

My best friend's husband lost his $500 wedding ring on their honeymoon. He found the exact same ring for $70 online somewhere.

My original wedding band (that I still wear) is a family heirloom from my husband's family. It is a simple white gold band that has about ten diamond chips. There was a diamond engagement ring, but he pawned long before I met him, to pay for his divorce. So, yes it is the band that his ex-wife wore. I also have a diamond engagement, that was bought at a pawn shop.

DH got me a 2 ct moissanite ring last year. Unfortunately we have been asked numerous times where he got the ring.

I just say "an online jeweler." That seems to satisfy their curiosity.

It is a beautiful ring and if it would help you to enjoy it more by being vague, go for it.

I think that ring is gorgeous and THAT is what most people will comment on...most likely they will not ask where you purchased it.

This is my ring:

ring.jpg

It is also a Miadora. I wanted something vintage-looking with black stones, but couldn't find anything at "real" jewelry stores. Also, DH had chosen a silver band with black Celtic knots through it. I fell in love with this one...

...from Overstock.com...

...for $39.

Total strangers compliment it, but not once have I ever been asked where I bought it.

That is very pretty!! I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I have been looking for a ring for myself and that is beautiful.

The ring is beautiful! My DS got married 6 years ago and his band came from ebay for $5. They did upgrade it this year, but I have no idea where they got it, I would assume it came from ebay again. Her ring came from a pawn shop and is lovely!

Buy the ring you love and just be coy and say you aren't sure where it came from. Where you got your ring is such a small thing in the big picture!

About the small wedding, be proud of having the wedding you can afford and aren't paying it off for the next 20 years. I have seen so many weddings this year driving places that I never dreamed would the the site of a wedding. An old barn along the side of the road was the latest, but it looked lovely! DD went to a wedding this weekend at 9am on a beach because thats what the bride and groom could afford! 9am was the cheapest time to get married!

That ring is beautiful!

When I gained a bunch of weight my wedding band didn't fit. It is just a plain gold band and I found one just like it in a bigger size at Walmart for about $40. I wore that for quite a while until I lost the weight. You wouldn't have known the difference between that and my original band. If you love it, buy it!

I would have chosen that ring myself, it is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love sapphire rings. :)

Don't lie about where it is from. If you already have the good sense to realize that your relationship and financial stability as a new family are far more important than jewelry (and it sounds like you do), then be proud to have a good head on your shoulders!!!! You may encourage someone else to think the same way. Some will turn up their nose, it's true. But should that change your mind? I don't think it should.

At the end of the day, the ring came from your husband/fiancée. End of story. Don't buy crap just to make other people happy - ten years down the road, you'll be able to enjoy a healthier credit score and a marriage grounded on being committed to each other, not to other people's opinions. That Is infinitely more valuable than any piece of jewelry. Best of luck to you!

If you like the ring, where it comes from doesn't matter.

My engagement ring (though very nice) came from the USAA (as in insurance company/bank) catalogue and my wedding ring was from Service Merchandise.

I don't think anyone ever asked me where we purchased the rings. And it never occurred to me to ask others. The only time I ask where any jewelry is purchases is when I would consider it for myself. That is extremely rare since I don't own a lot of jewelry.

No need to lie and I certainly wouldn't.

Thank you everybody for your kind words of encouragement. You have helped convince me to buy the ring :). It only comes in whole sizes and I need a half size but I did some research and I should be able to get it stretched.

That is beautiful! My birthstone is a sapphire, I might need to have this...

My wedding band cost $50 with the understanding we would upgrade on our 10 yr anniversary. That's a year away now, and my husband just got a big bonus at work so we went to pick it out. Turns out what I liked best, and what suited my engagement ring, was half our expected budget. But I love it and can't wait to wear it!

Like others, if you love it, get it, be happy with it, and if anyone asks be vague if it bothers you.

That ring is beautiful. Whatever the details of your wedding, enjoy it. It will be a very special day and I think the memory of all of those expensive details fades away quickly.

Very pretty ring. Reminds me of a ring a friend wore that had been her great grandmother's e engagement ring. She never took it off because of the sentimental value and I admired it because it was different.

That is beautiful! My birthstone is a sapphire, I might need to have this...

My wedding band cost $50 with the understanding we would upgrade on our 10 yr anniversary. That's a year away now, and my husband just got a big bonus at work so we went to pick it out. Turns out what I liked best, and what suited my engagement ring, was half our expected budget. But I love it and can't wait to wear it!

Like others, if you love it, get it, be happy with it, and if anyone asks be vague if it bothers you.

We nearly upgraded DW's engagement ring after we found more room in the budget, but the ring I originally picked out looked better on her than a larger one. We pocketed the cash & ran :thumbsup2

Thank you everybody for your kind words of encouragement. You have helped convince me to buy the ring :). It only comes in whole sizes and I need a half size but I did some research and I should be able to get it stretched.

I am in training to be a goldsmith. My advice is you can easily get the ring resized. It's only going to take a few minutes. Most reputable jewelers can do it and a lot of watch repair type places can also. It's a lot easier to make it bigger than smaller! :cool1:

As you wear it and it becomes more and more sentimental I would highly advise having the prongs checked once a year. I would advise that to anyone. It takes just a few minutes and I doubt there would even be a cost associated with it.

Have a great wedding! I think your ring is quite pretty!

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter