• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do I get my non-Dis fam to go??

weezyree

Mouseketeer
Yes, you read that right!! How do I get my NON-Disney family to go to anything Disney??? Some Dis'ers on her write about their family reunions and taking gobs of people on the cruises, but how in the dickens do they do it???

We have asked over and over repeatedly for our families to go. The only takers were my in-laws and my aunt. They are the only ones that are fun. I just know my parents would love it IF THEY JUST DID IT!! I know my sister would too, if she just did it. Money always seems to be the number one issue.

We tell them of our plans at least a year out if not longer so they have time to save and to leave the planning up to me if they like. I have talked to them until I'm blue in the face about ways to save money to help and money while there.

I think most of them would enjoy the cruise more to warm up to Disney in general instead of all the walking at WDW, but nada!! nothing!! They are fun-suckers and short of paying for it and MAKING them go...I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions??

If you can afford it, you could you offer to pay for part of their trip. My husband and I did this for my brother in law a couple of years ago. We offered to pay for the airfare and he would have to cover the rest. Then I booked everythisng for a tip that worked best for them too, not just us. He caught the Disney bug while we were at Disney World and talks about going back. This is huge for him because before he went he always would say to me " Why do you want to go there? If is only for kids!"

My side of the family is booked on A Disney cruise to Alaksa next summer and inorder to get mys sister to agree to me my parents payed for her familys deposit.

So if you acn swing paying for any part of their trip it has worked for me to get to Non Disney people to go on Disney vacations.

Another thought, if any of the individuals have kids have you tried selling on hoe much fun the kids/ grand kids will have?

Well, if money is really the issue (rather than the excuse), there's little you can do other than offer to pay some of it. There are ways to make DCL cruises more affordable--off season, inside cabins, etc.

What DO they like? Having meals cooked for them? Sun in the winter? Lounging by the pool? Spa services? Kids being taken care of and having fun? Play up those aspects.

Unfortunatly the reality is you may NEVER convince them to take a cruise. Some people just are not "vacation types." My family thinks anything but camping is a waste of money, and why would I fly to another part of the country just to get on a "boat" blah blah blah. Sometimes you have to just accept it and move on with your own plans.

Well, thank you fellow Dis'ers!! It's both money and excuses. I swear my mother keeps a list of 'excuses' next to her phone. That's the long-running family joke!!

My sister and her husband think vacationing in the Black Hills is all they need and are saving to drive to Alaska....I suggested the DCL Alaskan cruise. Nada!!!

As for my parents, I think they would be the complainers that would say why go on a ship that's filled with kid's stuff....but I know they would actually relax and enjoy it.

Again, thanks for the advice and we have often talked about offering to pay for a portion of the trip but not sure they would still go!!!

Weezyree:worship:

My question is: Why would you want a non-Disney loving group to join you?

We've gone with non-Disney family twice (one trip to WDW and one DCL cruise). I can say that they were my least favorite of all our Disney vacations. We will not be trying it a third time!!!! On the flip side, would you really want to go to the Black Hills with your sister?

Now, if you have family who can take-or-leave Disney, but really wants to be with you no matter if it's WDW or Branson, MO; then strongly encourage them to join you. In our experience, those are the best trips with extended family as everyone wants to be with each other no matter where you are. We would happily go to the Black Hills or Branson with those family members too!

Some folks simply won't go. Offered to pay for FIL/MIL. Didn't want to go. Would just meet us when we landed. Wouldn't even go to Epcot for a day, tho we offered to pay. [they winter in Tampa-and rented a hotel near WDW for one night] Mom, on the otherhand, will go anywhere if I offer to pay, and usually ends up buying all the 'extras' and does the tips.

I agree with KSDisneyDad - Why would you want a non-Disney loving group to join you? I'd rather go to WDW solo and meet my friends there than go with family members who don't want to be there. I feel the same way about cruises, whether on DCL or another cruise line.

We have had similar issues. We pulled out the low shot - the grandkids. LOL! It only worked with my MIL, but she has actually not only agreed to cruise (she's never cruised before) but she also requested the kids stay in her room so she can fully enjoy them. WOO HOO! However, my mom, my sister's family and my husband's brother all said it wasnt' for them.

The truth is that you've tried and short of paying for their cruise you can't do more than that. Heck, even if you offer to pay that may not work either. I've found a lot of people just don't want to cruise. They dont' like boats, don't want to be in the middle of the ocean, get sea sick or any variety of reasons that make it not the right vacation choice for them. The same way I don't understand people who want to go skiing in the freezing cold snow, or go camping on their vacations? They seem to enjoy it - but it's just not my style.

Go and enjoy yourself. Make friends here on the Dis and plan vacations with them!

I think most of them would enjoy the cruise more to warm up to Disney in general instead of all the walking at WDW, but nada!! nothing!! They are fun-suckers and short of paying for it and MAKING them go...I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions??

I think you answered it, we did just that, we prepaid the airline tickets/cruise..all they had to bring was spending money (I had on board credit that even gave them $200) I paid for their tips as well...yes, it was tight, but we did a kids sail free..so it really worked out better than I thought. I took my parents on the Med cruise b/c if they hated the ship at least they could say they saw Rome/Naples/French Riviera! We ended up making wonderful memories and it was definitely worth the penny pinching..

Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter