• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do I get cigarette smoke smell out of Princess costumes?

babiesX2

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>There is nothing
This morning at a thrift shop I bought a box of Disney Princesses' dresses for $2. The dresses were all packed in a princesses box, and the box was taped shut. I had to take a chance and buy it "as is." When I got home, I carefully removed the tape and the box was not damaged from it (thank goodness!). My hard work was rewarded with a box full of stinky clothes from a smoker's home. I need a smiley holding it's nose. Anyone have any idea how to get cigarette smoke smell out of something that can not be washed? Maybe Febreeze and hang outside? :laundy: Or maybe hose the dresses down with Febreeze and put them in the dryer on "fluff" using cool air? The smell is so gross and I am an ex-smoker! Now I know why eBay shoppers make such a big deal about stuff coming from a smoke free home.

Febreeze! It works wonders on smoke smells. I take donations of pins and lanyards for the Bert's Big Adventure charity every year. Some of the donated lanyards are just so icky! But, a quick run through the washer with Febreeze Laundry additive, some good detergent, and Downy with Febreeze and they are absolutely perfect! Good luck! Maggie

Thanks, Maggie! I took the box outside (the box looks like a chest) and put each piece on a hanger. The smell was choking me! :sick: :crazy2: The smell is really bad, much worse than I thought! :smokin:

I had purchased a Disney Lilo costume on eBay, wound up washing it on gentle, hung to dry and it was just fine.

How about dry cleaning, if they are the really good ones? Although I would try Febreeze first....it really works well.

I had that happen to DD's costume I bought on ebay. Reeked of smoke so bad! I aired it out a ton & put in the dryer on low w/some dryer sheets a few times. It still has a slightly off smell a year later but not really noticeable unless you put your nose to it.

Fabreez and hanging outside will help - it will take time, patience will be rewarded!!

Also, there is a product near the dryer sheet aisle, it is a home dry cleaner kit - you can put your clothes in there, then run them thru the dryer - it really helps!!

I have put all of my daughters' various dress up stuff in the washer and dryer at one point or another- even stuff with sequins or those plastic cameos. Believe it or not they emerge just fine. I'm sure it would be even better if you use the gentle cycle and gave them a whirl and then hang them to dry. I think they are all made of mostly polyester so the clothes actually washed fairly well. Even last year's Tinkerbell costume came out nicely! Good luck!

I found this on a website. It is to get the musty smell out of book but I bet it would work on the dresses too.

You take two garbage cans one small and another that is bigger and has a lid. Make sure that the small can fits into the larger can. You sprinkle baking soda (I have used an entire box) on the bottom of the larger can. Then you put the smaller can inside the larger can, put the items that need to be descented in the smaller can and then put the lid on the large can to close it in with the baking soda. The soda will absorb the odor. I liked this because it was all natural and fairly easy. However it does take some time.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I think I'm going to have to trash these. I washed them on my handwash cycle and they still stink. :smokin: I feel sorry for the kid that had to live in the house that caused this reeking! :crazy2: This is seriously bad. Yesterday when I was hanging the clothes outside to air them out, the smell was choking me. I've never bought anything even close to this. The costumes aren't even the nice, regal ones, but cheap ones that go on over regular clothes. If they were the "real" costumes, I'd probably work at it, but I'm not going to waste anymore energy, detergent, or water on the problem. You win some, you loose some.

If you haven't thrown them away yet, try this...it worked on my beanie babies years ago:

Put the clothes in a rubbermaid container along with a dryer sheet. After a few days, the smell should be gone.

Sorry that happened to you! I bought some clothes on Ebay once that just reaked (?) of smoke. One wash in the machine just didn't work. The smoke especially was worked into the waste band and other gathered areas like that. I had to stretch out the waste, spray Shout on it so it soaked in, and then let it sit about 20 miunutes. I think I still washed it 2 more times before the smell was out. As long as you're going to toss them anyway, you may want to try it. For $2 though, it might be more trouble than it's worth!

Spray Febreeze on it and then put it back in the box with a couple of sheets of Bounce. That helped with some of my mom's stuff.

Maybe you could try charcoal. It is supposed to absorb the smoke smell out. My aunt had bought a house and one of the rooms smelled really bad of smoke and someone told her to sit some charcoal out in the room and it would absorb the smell. It must have worked because I never notice a smoke smell there. You could put the dresses in a smaller open container and then sit it down inside a bigger container that could be sealed with a lid and place the charcoal around the smaller container. It is worth a try. I would have to throw the dresses out. You could also put the charcoal in the trunk to see if it could take the smoke smell out of it.

HTH
Jenn :goodvibes

Try washing again, but this time throw some plain white VINEGAR in your downy ball and (optional) throw a box of baking soda in with your detergent. Vinegar, baking soda, charcoal -- all great at absorbing odors whereas most of your commercial products only mask the odor.

Try putting them in your dryer with one of those home Dry Cleaning bags. They work great!!! If you are going to throw them out it is worth a try even if the color runs....its worth a try!

charcoal is a great odor absorber. I would put the charcoal in a plastic deli containor and punch holes in the lid then place charcoal and your items in a rubbermaid container and let is sit for 4 days. You may have to repeat the set one more time but this should get rid of the odor.

Hang outside in a well circulated area. :laundy: I've worked retail for years and this what we do anytime something is returned with any type of odor. And yes you would be surprised how things smell when people return them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter