How do I "gate check" a stroller

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I'm sure that its easy but I just want to know what to do when we get to the airport. Its been so long since I've flown with a young child.
We are flying Southwest and we want to keep my grand-daughter in her stroller while in the airport. I know that we take the stroller to the end of the ramp when we board and leave it and then its put under the plane (at least I assume it goes under the plane) Do we need a tag to put on the stroller? Do we ask about this when we check in curb side or do we need to go to someone at the counter at the gate?

You will get your tag at the counter by the gate. You will have to take her out of the stroller to get thru security but then just put her right back in it and stroll down to your gate and get your tags. If you have A boarding pass then board with them--if not, you can board beginning of B--stroll down to end of ramp and get her out. We have done this numberous times and it has been a great convenience!! Have fun:)

Thanks for your quick reply. I feel like I am asking such dumb questions but my youngest is 22 so its been awhile since I've gone with such a young child. Even back then we just rented strollers in WDW.
I just feel the need to be prepared before getting to the airport so we are not racing around chasings our tails..so to speak.

Just don't watch them thrown it onto the plane! I watched last eyar as they threw mine into the cargohold, and when it came off in MCO shocking the handles were busted. Nothing I cold do either since you sign a hold harmless release when you gate check the thing. This time I am putting it into a bag at thr gate to maybe give it a bit more cushion for when it goes flying into the cargohold.

Not only does the child have to come out of the stroller for security, the stroller has to go in -- to the x-ray scanner, unless it is so large that it will be unable to fit through when folded. (In which case it will be hand-inspected while empty.) You'll need to fold it up and put it through with the hand baggage.

Children's shoes DO have to come off for security. For a baby, I take them off and put them in a carryon before entering the line, as it is one less thing to have to deal with keeping track of

Send one adult through first and then wait until that person is cleared before sending the child (if she can walk alone) and the hand baggage. If she is too little to walk, have the first person going through take her. (You cannot pass a child forward from a person undergoing secondary screening to one who is already cleared. If you are holding a child when you trigger a secondary, you can only pass the child back to a person who has not yet been screened. This is due to the possibility that the contraband might be on the child rather than the adult holding her.)

Fold your stroller yourself when you leave it on the jetway, and preferably bungee it shut. Before you go to that airport, you should remove all of the extra plastic parts such as trays, cupholders, and the hood, and pack them in your checked baggage. This makes for a more compact fold AND greatly lowers the likelihood of damage occurring en route.

Not only does the child have to come out of the stroller for security, the stroller has to go in -- to the x-ray scanner, unless it is so large that it will be unable to fit through when folded. (In which case it will be hand-inspected while empty.) You'll need to fold it up and put it through with the hand baggage.

Children's shoes DO have to come off for security. For a baby, I take them off and put them in a carryon before entering the line, as it is one less thing to have to deal with keeping track of

Send one adult through first and then wait until that person is cleared before sending the child (if she can walk alone) and the hand baggage. If she is too little to walk, have the first person going through take her. (You cannot pass a child forward from a person undergoing secondary screening to one who is already cleared. If you are holding a child when you trigger a secondary, you can only pass the child back to a person who has not yet been screened. This is due to the possibility that the contraband might be on the child rather than the adult holding her.)

Fold your stroller yourself when you leave it on the jetway, and preferably bungee it shut. Before you go to that airport, you should remove all of the extra plastic parts such as trays, cupholders, and the hood, and pack them in your checked baggage. This makes for a more compact fold AND greatly lowers the likelihood of damage occurring en route.

First thank you about the tip for taking off the extra items off the stroller, it will leave less things to break off.
Now of course I have more questions about going through security. No problems with the shoes as she does not like wearing them most of the time anyway.
My grand-daughter is 14 months and just started walking about a month ago. I can not imagine getting her to walk through the screening on her own. Just so I understand correctly, one person can hold her and then they both go through the screening?
Gosh its so much easier going on these trips solo :)

Yes, at 14 months they will let an adult carry her through in-arms. (They usually will NOT allow that person to be wearing her in a sling or backpack carrier, though occasionally you hear that someone has been able to. I wouldn't count on it.)

As I said, if there are two adults traveling, have the first one through the arch carry her through. That way, if that person dings security and needs to be wanded, she can be passed back to the person who is still on the landside-side of security, and that person can then carry her through once the bags have been put through. If that person dings, then the baby AND the person carrying her will have to be wanded, and they will pat down the baby, because at that size the wand doesn't tell much about where the metal might be.

The snaps on onesies won't set off the detectors, but buckles on overalls will. Minimize any metal on her clothing, and check her pockets for such contraband as small toy cars, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter