How do I create a waitlist online?

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I don't see the "create waitlist" button anywhere when I search for the dates I need. I thought it used to come up with the search.

You go in and choose the dates and do an actual search.

If any of the nights are available, it will default to that. You have to then select all your dates again to get the waitlist option

If any of the nights are available, it will default to that. You have to then select all your dates again to get the waitlist option
I've done that and the calendar is up with the dates that are available. This comment is at the top "The rooms below are available for partial stay. You may also choose to Waitlist" but I don't see a link to do it. The only option I have is to book the partial dates.

What am I missing?

are there any downsides to waitlists?
For example, if they can fulfill a waitlist, is there still that slim tiny chance of the losing out on both reservations, like if they need to cancel current reservation before booking the new one warning you get for modifying a reservation.

Have a welcome home stay scheduled that works great, but if I can score a waitlist somehow at home resort, then that would be even greater!

are there any downsides to waitlists?
For example, if they can fulfill a waitlist, is there still that slim tiny chance of the losing out on both reservations, like if they need to cancel current reservation before booking the new one warning you get for modifying a reservation.

Have a welcome home stay scheduled that works great, but if I can score a waitlist somehow at home resort, then that would be even greater!

There is no risk to losing whaT you have booked with a waitlist.

Thank you for this. For the first time ever we had 1 day mid stay that was unavailable. I even called MS and was told we would have to wait for the single missing day to fall into the 7 month window, then book the second half of the stay the next day when it was within the window, and then request the reservations be merged. Clearly that’s not the case as I just submitted a waitlist for a 9 day block that hinges on that single day in the missing day in the middle getting filled.

Thank you for this. For the first time ever we had 1 day mid stay that was unavailable. I even called MS and was told we would have to wait for the single missing day to fall into the 7 month window, then book the second half of the stay the next day when it was within the window, and then request the reservations be merged. Clearly that’s not the case as I just submitted a waitlist for a 9 day block that hinges on that single day in the missing day in the middle getting filled.

The CM was correct in the sense that you could not start a waitlist for that single night until you were at the 7 month window for it, if the plan was to book the first part of the trip.

Sounds like you didn’t book what was there and did all the nights. Just remember, that in order for it to fill, all 9 nights have to be open,…they won’t hold the nights you see right now until the missing night comes through.

If you did book some nights, then you will want to adjust the waitlist to cover only nights you still need.

Is it better to list each night separately?

We're tying to plan a "last minute" trip in Jan and none of the nights are available. Should we list each night separately so we can get at least one night at DVC? Instead of hoping for all the nights to become available which they probably won't?

We're tying to plan a "last minute" trip in Jan and none of the nights are available. Should we list each night separately so we can get at least one night at DVC? Instead of hoping for all the nights to become available which they probably won't?

Waitlists are all or nothing so the shorter they are the better chance you have.

We have had very good luck with one or two night waitlists…better with one nighters.

But we always have other rooms booked or we stalk constantly until we get something.

You can have a max of two wait lists active any anyone time during a UY. So, if looking for 3 or more nights, you would not be able to create a wait list entry for each night separately.

We’ve always had much better success with single nights, even when trying to string together multiple nights. We had been down for our stay in early May when GOTG was set to open, but came back for the previews and was able to scrape 3 nights together, albeit at a different resort each night. And just recently was able to add a single night on Dec 13th to the end of our stay to hopefully make the MM at DAK. Thankfully that was the same resort and room category so we were able to merge the reservations. I’ve yet to have a multiple night waitlist payoff, but admittedly I have only tried a few times.

As someone said, only two waitlists at a time, once you get a night, make another, and then another until you get to the number of nights you need. That is if you elect to go the single night waitlist strategy. Also, go for rooms that have the highest number of rooms available helps increase your odds of it being filled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter