how do I cook a beef round bottom round roast???

tripletots

DIS Veteran
My DH picked one up from Kroger yesterday and I've never cooked one before. Do I put it in the crock pot or oven? If it's the oven, what temp and how long? Do I put anything in with it, like potatoes and carrots? I'm clueless.

I was planning on cooking it for dinner tonight, it's just under 4 lbs............Help!

I think you can do both - I brown it, but can't remember if I add liquid to the pot. Just google pot roast recipe.

I just throw it into a 350 oven and bake it. Use a meat thermometer. I take mine out when it hits medium rare and let it sit for 10 minutes so by the time we cut it is medium.

Not much fat and no marbling in a bottom round. Best to use moist heat if you want a tender result. Crockpot works well. Look for a pot roast recipe if you want potatoes and carrots with it.

Just quickly braise/brown it first before you put it in the crockpot--looks a bit better when it's done.
About 8 hours on LOW should make it nice and tender.

I brown mine before putting it into the crock pot. Then I add some onion, hunks of carrots and potatos plus an envelope of soup mix for extra flavor. Finally I pour in a cup or two of water. Sometimes I throw in a can of cream of something soup, too. Ummmm, now I'm hungry:thumbsup2

I cook bottom round in a crock pot. Add a packet of dry gravy or seasoning mix to a cup or so of water. Add potatoes & vegies or not. Let it cook all day and by dinner the roast will be so tender it will break apart with a fork.

I always make mine in the crock pot so it does not become dry. Add some salt, pepper, worcestshire sauce and dried onion pieces. Add potatoes and carrots if that's what we're having as side dishes. Otherwise we have mashed potatoes and corn.

I just made one last week. I have a recipe where you just place it in the crock pot with 1 jar of picante sauce, a 15oz. can of tomato sauce, and a packet of taco seasoning, let it cook for 8hrs. It says to remove the roast and thicken the sauce to make a gravy we just use the sauce as is. Everyone loves this recipe when I make it.

I just cooked one last week and it came out amazing. This is what I did:

One can of cream of mushroom
One can of cream of celery
One packet of onion soup mix

Put meat in crock. Slather the meat with the above mixture. cook on low for 6-8 hrs. You really can't over cook it if it goes another hr.

Remove from crock, and if the gravy isn't thick enough transfer to a sauce pan and thicken with a little cornstarch and wate.

I served it over noodles. It was so good they ate it as leftovers, and my family hates leftovers.

I crockpot any roast with a large can of Cream or Chicken soup + 1/2 soup can of water and a Lipton *or store brand* onion soup envelope - it's super yummy ~ we use the "sauce" as a gravy for mashed potatos. It is smelly ~ good smell to eat but it gets in everything ~ hair/clothes/skin - I set the crockpot outside or in the garage! You can also do it in the oven ~ low and slow.

I crockpot any roast with a large can of Cream or Chicken soup + 1/2 soup can of water and a Lipton *or store brand* onion soup envelope - it's super yummy ~ we use the "sauce" as a gravy for mashed potatos. It is smelly ~ good smell to eat but it gets in everything ~ hair/clothes/skin - I set the crockpot outside or in the garage! You can also do it in the oven ~ low and slow.

We do the same. Usually I do 2 cans Cream of Mushroom and a pack of dry onion soup mix. Delicious! And it works well with any meats - chicken, beef, pork - just toss in crockpot with sauce!

You can cook the roast in the crockpot on high for 4-5 hours too.

I sear mine in a frying pan with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then toss it in the crock pot with a packet of onion suop mix and just enough water to cover the meat. When the kids get home from school I add potatoes and carrots, and by dinner time it is something in between fork-tender roast beef and beef stew.

Put it in the crock pot along with a jar of pepperoncini peppers (everything in the jar - stems, juice seeds etc...) and cook it on low all day. Shred up and serve on toasted hoagie rolls. Or serve with potatoes and veggies. Mmmmmmm!!!!

I bake mine in an oven bag, adding onion soup mix, potatoes and carrots @ 325 degrees.

I just put my in the crock pot with one packet of dry onion soup mix and pour a can of diet coke over it. I know it sounds weird, but it's so good and super easy.

Put it in the crock pot along with a jar of pepperoncini peppers (everything in the jar - stems, juice seeds etc...) and cook it on low all day. Shred up and serve on toasted hoagie rolls. Or serve with potatoes and veggies. Mmmmmmm!!!!

I love this one. I do brown the meat before sticking it in the crock.

I just put my in the crock pot with one packet of dry onion soup mix and pour a can of diet coke over it. I know it sounds weird, but it's so good and super easy.

This one is great too. I have also done it with the can of diet coke and a package of spaghetti seasoning mix and a can of crushed tomatoes. I call that one Italian pot roast and serve it over noodles. This version is actually my family's favorite--I prefer the one with onion soup mix or the one with the peppercini.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter