How do families afford these smartphones?

I haven't read all of the replies so this may be a repeat but we have virgin mobile. My son and I have the LG optimus and my husband the rumour 2 (not a smart phone) and we have $25/mo plans. I do believe the plans are $35/mo now but even that is a big savings. We are ridiculously happy with our service and they were helpful porting my husbands number over from AT&T who were a total pain in the butt about releasing his number.

We have two iphones in our house. One for both of the parents. Mom never uses hers and dad wears his out. It's ice to "be connected", but it does prove to be pretty costly If it's worth it to you, just have to cut in other areas.

Three of our 4 phones are smartphones, however they are older Androids. We also use Page Plus Cellular. You can use most any Verizon branded phone. I purchase the phones either on Ebay, from Cowboom, or anyone that might be selling one. Page Plus offers a bunch of different options to fit your needs. The have an unlimited text/talk plan as well as others.

My phone is an original Samsung Galaxy, my plan gives me 1200 talk/3000 text/ and 100mb data a month for $29.95. That's generally plenty for me.

My DH has an LG Ally and is on a 250 talk/250 text/10mb data for $12.00 a month. Sometimes he'll go over on talk minutes and we just add $10 to get him buy until the next month.

My DS has a regular slider phone and is on the same plan as DH.

My DD has an LG Ally and I buy a $25 standard minute card and out of that we pay for the unlimited Power Texting plan ($15) so that leaves her $10/mo to use for calling/data use she wishes.

When we purchase our cards through Callingmart each month the $78.95 total actually goes to about $74.25 with the discounts they offer.

The plans work for us a the moment and are very versatile if something needs to be changed.

thanks for all the replies, some good suggestions. I will probably end up calling TMobile to see what kind of deal I can get, however, if it is too expensive, forget it Cannot justify that high of a bill for a luxury, may just add another line for my daughter and keep our "dumb phones". My wife and I have had a cell phone for over 20 years and the only time I used it extensively was when I was selling my home. I just don't understand how everyone has become so attached to these devices these days. Sure, I love technology, have a great hd theater setup, bluray, love the internet but do not understand everyone's obsession with having to always communicate every minute of your life to someone everyday like I see people doing on a daily basis. Especially while driving! That drives me nuts and should be illegal, we never answer the phone while driving, will pull over somewhere if I have to. Then you have to hear people's conversations when you are out and they are busy texting while at a ballgame or concert and totally are missing out on what is more important in life. Anyway, that is all my ranting for now, I'm sure it'll keep this thread going for awhile!

I do very little communicating. That's another misconception. People can ruin your night with an old flip phone not just an iPhone. I read 3+ books a week on my kindle app. My kids play games-mostly educational ;) I can transfer $$ immediately if I'm sitting at the repair shop and have to dip into savings for a new engine. I can be at home sick and stay horizontal in bed trying to keep up with work emails. I can reserve redbox movies from the gym to pick up on my way home. I can record an HD video of my son talking abt his lost tooth and email it to grandparents. I can price check target v amazon in 3 seconds. Etc etc. it's more than paying for a square phone to text with.

Maybe it's because things are not always as they appear! :)

We are fairly 'low-income' (we qualify but DO NOT GET foodstamps, etc...don't want to, so we don't) but we have a 'smart phone'. My mom usually spends abt $200 on my birthday each year (yes, I'm spoiled...lol) and this year I asked for $150 so I could buy a phone. We use Straight Talk at $45 a month for unlimited everything. The phone I bought is an Android ($179 - I paid the difference from what mom gave me).

No contracts, no additional fees. A great deal for us (Hubby and I share our cell phone - our few contacts knows this when they call).

There are many reasons that people can "afford" a smartphone...this just outlines one way! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter