How Disney ruined my vacations for life: A cautionary tale

As much as we enjoy WDW, I can't say it's ever occurred to us to compare it directly to other vacations - not even other Orlando Theme Park vacations. WDW was one of the greatest trips we've ever taken - but so was that week at the beach, the road trip to South Dakota, Branson, Northern California, Scotland, etc, etc, etc :)

Not sure why people ONLY vacation at WDW honestly. This country alone has thousands of great places and history and natural beauty to see let alone the rest of the planet. I would be mortified if i could afford yearly vacations and did not expose my children to the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone or the history of DC, Boston or Virginia area, or to miss out on the culture of NYC, Dallas, San Francisco etc. Theme parks are great, but expand your horizons. It is nice to relax on vacation from time to time. Go to WDW every other year or less frequently, keeps it fresh and more exciting.

Disney and Universal definitely offer vastly superior theme park experiences to any place we've been, but the quality and cleanliness of the resort experience (service, facilities, etc.) isn't up to par to some non-Disney hotels we've stayed at.
I agree, and I find some of the comments about how Disney is superior in terms of resorts and food a bit puzzling. For the amount of money that one spends at a nice Disney hotel, that puts you into Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton territory in many locations. If you aren't getting superior service at a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton or a nicer room compared to what you get at Disney, then you must be doing something wrong. The same is true for food. If you are not getting better meals in the world's greatest culinary centers for the price that you are paying for a dinner at the California Grill or Narcoossees, then you aren't going to the right restaurants.

Disney World is by far and away the greatest theme park vacation that anyone can take. But in terms of receiving superior accommodations, superior service, and superior food, it is very easy to outdo Disney World in any corner of the globe. And at little to no extra cost.

I agree, and I find some of the comments about how Disney is superior in terms of resorts and food a bit puzzling. For the amount of money that one spends at a nice Disney hotel, that puts you into Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton territory in many locations. If you aren't getting superior service at a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton or a nicer room compared to what you get at Disney, then you must be doing something wrong. The same is true for food. If you are not getting better meals in the world's greatest culinary centers for the price that you are paying for a dinner at the California Grill or Narcoossees, then you aren't going to the right restaurants.

Disney World is by far and away the greatest theme park vacation that anyone can take. But in terms of receiving superior accommodations, superior service, and superior food, it is very easy to outdo Disney World in any corner of the globe. And at little to no extra cost.

It's different. $330/night to stay at the Poly or $330/night to stay at a Ritz. Same price? Maybe. Same offering? Not even close. I would never want to stay in a Ritz with my kids. Because being ritzy / glamourous / business or having gold trim everywhere doesn't appeal to me. I don't need a concierge to push an elevator button to call that "nicer". If my kids were loud in the lobby they would be shamed. I would think of the Ritz offering us a terrible experience for what we'd be looking for in a vacation. At the Poly, we have total freedom for our kids, cafe's that they like, characters that they want to see, the feeling of being on a Polynesian island for us, tropical fun drinks, and most of all... it's only a few minutes from the Magic Kingdom in a relatively closed environment. Can the Ritz claim that? No way.

So in that regard, I would pay $300 for the Poly. But if staying elsewhere, I would probly top out around $200. Doesn't mean the Poly is 50% nicer... rather, it's 1000x nicer for us, and there are a lot of business travelers that are willing to pay thru the nose for some amenities that I personally consider quite valueless. And just because a fancy hotel has a spendy restaurant does not make it "better".

We vacation at a lot of places. There's no reason Disney (as wonderful as it is!) should take away from the experience at say Washington DC or Colorado or Europe. You don't go there expecting people to be dressed as princesses and gesturing w the over-the-top princess smile. You're going for different experiences.

We've travelled all over Europe and the U.S., but we're on a Disney kick right now. With a 3-year-old, Disney just can't be beat! It's easy, there's tons to do, and it's a pretty good value considering what you get.

We've been to WDW many times but I could never see giving up the rest of the world. Maybe we've been lucky but we've found good service and "magic" in many places. I guess that it depends on what you're looking for.

I think a lot of this is about the stage of life you are in with different ages and budgets. My son is 5 and right now there is nowhere else he would rather be in the world than disney. He loves the characters and riding the rides. Other theme parks, and amusement parks simply don't compare for him right now. He liked the Disney cruise we took him on, our beach trips, the mountains of Tennessee, and Caribbean cruises he has been on but nothing compares to the magic of Walt Disney world for him right now. When that changes for him we will explore other places. Plus for us Disney is within driving distance so cost wise its comparable to other destinations we are interested in visiting right now. We will consider Washington DC, other historical sites and the like when he is a little older and can trily appreciate what they have to offer.

I love Disney. However, I love a lot of other places, too. They aren't Disney, but I don't go in with the expectation that they will be. To some, Washington, D.C is boring. I could honestly go to D.C every year and never be bored. I want to see the world and it's a lot bigger than Disney. Disney is nice because it's easy. I know what I'm getting from a Disney vacation, I know how to plan it, and every time I absolutely love it. No other place has Disney magic, that's true. Ideally as an adult, Disney vacations will be every other year for me. I always want to go back, but at the same point. there are so many other places to go and see. I don't see an issue with going to Disney every year, if that is what works for your family. But a Disney vacation is honestly so different from travelling anywhere else I never bother to compare the two.

I have found that Disney after Disney after Disney vacationing allows me to be a more "lazy" trip planner, which I like. This is not to say that everywhere else forces me to be up, bright eyes bushy tailed, at 5am to guarantee a dinner months in advance. This is saying I like not having to figure out which areas are dangerous for tourists, or how much is the admission to dozens of different attractions, or what are the best restaurants in town...etc...etc..etc. It's just being obsessed on here with thousands of people who share my obsession, go vacation knowing exactly what to expect when, where, why....then come back and share experience with the previous thousands....then I follow the next who takes their turn very passionately. LOL

I think a lot of this is about the stage of life you are in with different ages and budgets. My son is 5 and right now there is nowhere else he would rather be in the world than disney. He loves the characters and riding the rides. Other theme parks, and amusement parks simply don't compare for him right now. He liked the Disney cruise we took him on, our beach trips, the mountains of Tennessee, and Caribbean cruises he has been on but nothing compares to the magic of Walt Disney world for him right now. When that changes for him we will explore other places. Plus for us Disney is within driving distance so cost wise its comparable to other destinations we are interested in visiting right now. We will consider Washington DC, other historical sites and the like when he is a little older and can trily appreciate what they have to offer.

Yep. This. I love travel, and planning trips, and want to explore the whole world, not just WDW. But we recently vacationed with our two-year-old at Disney World, and then a few months later did a road trip through Texas, and while we had fun on both trips, there was no comparison: Disney was hands-down the winner in terms of ease of travel with a toddler. He was entertained the whole time. We did not have to be constantly getting him in and out of his car seat to visit multiple attractions in one day. We could spend the morning on kid-friendly rides, then mommy and daddy could have a drink in "Mexico" while baby napped in stroller. Disney has its flaws and downsides, but it simply does a fantastic job of catering to people with very young kids. So I can definitely understand wanting to vacation at Disney A LOT while my son is so young. Once he gets older, though, it's time to see the actual countries instead of the pavilions at EPCOT ;-)

It's different. $330/night to stay at the Poly or $330/night to stay at a Ritz. Same price? Maybe. Same offering? Not even close. I would never want to stay in a Ritz with my kids. Because being ritzy / glamourous / business or having gold trim everywhere doesn't appeal to me. I don't need a concierge to push an elevator button to call that "nicer". If my kids were loud in the lobby they would be shamed. I would think of the Ritz offering us a terrible experience for what we'd be looking for in a vacation. At the Poly, we have total freedom for our kids, cafe's that they like, characters that they want to see, the feeling of being on a Polynesian island for us, tropical fun drinks, and most of all... it's only a few minutes from the Magic Kingdom in a relatively closed environment. Can the Ritz claim that? No way.

So in that regard, I would pay $300 for the Poly. But if staying elsewhere, I would probly top out around $200. Doesn't mean the Poly is 50% nicer... rather, it's 1000x nicer for us, and there are a lot of business travelers that are willing to pay thru the nose for some amenities that I personally consider quite valueless. And just because a fancy hotel has a spendy restaurant does not make it "better".
I think you missed my point completely. I wasn't comparing a Ritz to the Poly in terms of which would provide the better Disney vacation. So the fact that the Poly is minutes from the Magic Kingdom is irrelevant. A Ritz might be steps from a Hawaiian beach. Or a Florida beach. Or a Sonoran desert. The Poly is none of these. We're not talking location here. Each would win in its own way. The point was, people who think that Disney hotels are unique in their doting service are being too narrow in their scope. There are many, many hotels that equal (or best) Disney in service.

And your stereotyped description of the Ritz chain is way off. Just do a google search for "Ritz Carlton kids club". Ritz has awesome programs for kids. Do they have the MK? No. But I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the posts that say that they can't find Disney's level of service and attention to detail elsewhere. It is out there.

And finally, the Poly for $300?? 2005 called. It wants its rate structure back.

Last edited:
I love to travel. I can't wait until DD is a bit older and DH is out of grad school so we can take huge, 3 week long road trip vacations. I want to drive across the country and visit several stops along the way. I want to see yellowstone and the grand canyon. I want to see white sands. I want to stand in celebrity footprints outside the chinese theater. I want to taste the sea air on both coasts. I want to see lady liberty, the liberty bell, the tomb of the unknown soldier. I want to cruise the carribean. Some day, I would love to take a transatlantic cruise.

But for now, I have a 3 year old. WDW is within a day's drive, and it is easy to keep her entertained at disney. It allows for a fun stop in Atlanta along the way to see the zoo and aquarium, a stop at the beach, a quick trip to see my extended family in central florida. So, in this stage of life, we do disney. I have 4 trips planned in the next 12 months (admittedly too many, but if just sort of happened). DD asks to go to disney every day, she loves it.

At home we also do a lot of fun day trips, and we go to childrens museums and zoos and public gardens and festivals and such. She is exposed to a lot culturally, and those horizons will expand as she gets older and more able to understand. But for now, for our family trips, we go to central florida and do all the things toddlers enjoy.

This is why WDW was our go to vacation as well. The kids are at the right age for it, and let's face it, it's an awesome vacation! After going once, you know what to expect, and what not to.

And finally, the Poly for $300?? 2005 called.

This was my thought exactly. Since when has the poly been $300. or $330 even as mentioned. I still can't believe Disney can garner the prices they do for their deluxe resorts. I'm not bashing Disney, and I don't feel you are either, but getting some perspective.:thumbsup2

Dan

I'm still trying to figure out my newfound obsession with Disney. We took DD on the "one and done" trip when she was eight. Found myself thinking, "what if we came back to spend enough time to do every park justice, and the water parks, and some leisure time at the resort pools? THEN we could say we had the trip of a lifetime." So, that trip was last year, DD was ten. Found myself planning the next trip immediately when we got home. And now we're back from this year's trip, and I cannot, simply cannot afford a trip next year. But ... It doesn't stop me from dreaming about it. And planning 2017!

Here's the thing. I also feel it's my job as a parent to expose DD to other places and experiences. So we have taken road trips through Quebec Province, the East Coast, and along the entire Pacific Coast. As she learns more about Europe at school, I hope to take her there as well. And so on. I love to travel and I have learned a lot myself while showing her the world (and it's not all "boring" history stuff, either--we hit The Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz boardwalk, Prehistoric Gardens, and Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree, went horseback riding on the beach, made sand angels on the Oregon Dunes--a mix of nature, fun, kitch, as well as walking where historical figures walked).

However, I just don't get that same satisfaction on an emotional level. I hear you all, and I agree with you all, when you talk about cost analysis, loving to plan, theming, quality, being in the Disney bubble--it's absolutely all of that, but I also think it's also a little bit more. I guess I carry Disney in my heart, in a way no other place has reached me. And it's taken me by surprise--this is a case of full-onset Disney-itis well into my adulthood!

I feel really spoiled too and we've only been 3.5 times. But on the years we don't go to Disney we take these insane road trips all over the US. DH and I also go to a huge music festival every year too usually Bonnaroo (which has SO many similarities to Disney believe it or not! haha). We love to travel so between being spoiled at Disney and taking these huge 2,3,4 wk trips and these festivals doing something simple just doesn't compute with me. Every year we are like "we should refinish the attic" but know we would have to exchange that for our big trip and we just can't do it. Just going to the beach like most people do just doesn't fly with our family and it really all started with Disney in 2008. Every year since then we've either done an amazing trip or Disney. It's hard to go back to the before after you've been Disney spoiled and seen all the amazing things the country has to offer.

I think you missed my point completely. I wasn't comparing a Ritz to the Poly in terms of which would provide the better Disney vacation. So the fact that the Poly is minutes from the Magic Kingdom is irrelevant. A Ritz might be steps from a Hawaiian beach. Or a Florida beach. Or a Sonoran desert. The Poly is none of these. We're not talking location here. Each would win in its own way. The point was, people who think that Disney hotels are unique in their doting service are being too narrow in their scope. There are many, many hotels that equal (or best) Disney in service.

And you missed my point. That simply being expensive does not make it better. When staying at Disney, I can stay for $300, or much less. But the $300 is worth it because of the amenities. So I go for that, over the $110 value. But when staying in a random city and I can stay for $300, $200 or $75, I'll go for the $200 or $75. Why am I willing to pay more at Disney World for their top of the line hotels, but not elsewhere in the US? Because of the amenities. If I want to stay in Saint Louis, I'm probably going to stay for $150'ish / night, or free even on Sheraton points. I would not pay $300+ to stay in a ritzy hotel there.

And finally, the Poly for $300?? 2005 called. It wants its rate structure back.

Our after-tax rate is $333. :) (room discount, no free dining). After various payment discounts I'm under $300/nt out of pocket.

Last edited:
That 300 rate requires many things, you must stay last week of august to first few of September, must stay during week only, and must get 30% room discount.

I think you can count yourself as one of those "Special People" who really LOVE the Disney adventure. I have friends who have been to Disney and they return and say how much fun they had and maybe they will return in five years. I, like you, return from my annual trip and start planning our next trip. Yes, I go to other spots in this country for vacation experiences but I never get the same feeling that I get when I walk into the Magic Kingdom on the first day of the trip and see the castle. We have to accept the fact that we, the "Special People" have found our happiest place on earth and when that happens, nothing in the world can compare. A co-worker of mine, another one of those special people, went to Paris for two weeks this spring, a lifelong dream of hers. When she returned she had tons of pictures and tales but she admitted one thing, it wasn't as good as Disney World. Again, we are those "Special People" who you cannot dissuade from their passion for Disney. I don't know if we should be pitied for our deep feelings and lack of interest in other adventures but I really don't care. 180 more days and I will be there and that is all that matters. I am fortunate enough to have married a most wonderful woman some 41 years ago, who is a "Special Person" herself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter