How difficult to buy BLT or VGF direct?

Well i chatted with our DVC guide today. He can put us on a waitlist for BLT. The cost is $170/pp. Ouch! A resale is looking more and more attractive.

Well i chatted with our DVC guide today. He can put us on a waitlist for BLT. The cost is $170/pp. Ouch! A resale is looking more and more attractive.

Buying BLT direct really is just tossing away a bunch of $$$'s. It's really crazy pricing! I remember when it was in the 90's with incentives when buying direct. :crazy:

Last edited:

IMO the only reason to buy direct is if you want a fixed week, want to finance and can't get another loan, or you want a new resort not available yet via resale.

Of the resorts that we own, we wish that we had spent more time at the resort before writing the check for BLT and AKV. Both are nice resorts just not our favorites.

:earsboy: Bill

Don't let Bill talk you out of BLT. Lots of people like it - can't beat the walk to MK (unless epcot is your park - then you can't beat the walk from BCV). And I personally like the "high-rise" feel. There's enough disney splashes in the contemporary design for it to still feel disney (and is a different feel than the other resorts). Plus,I think there are at least 20 GVs at BLT - so better chances to get them than VGF. By the way, we own at BLT, VGF, BCV, and VGC (DL) - so I'm not a VGF hater (just stayed there a month ago).

I'd buy BLT resale. It shouldn't be too hard to get the points in the same use year, even if you have to buy 2 or 3 contacts.

Don't let Bill talk you out of BLT. Lots of people like it - can't beat the walk to MK (unless epcot is your park - then you can't beat the walk from BCV). And I personally like the "high-rise" feel. There's enough disney splashes in the contemporary design for it to still feel disney (and is a different feel than the other resorts). Plus,I think there are at least 20 GVs at BLT - so better chances to get them than VGF. By the way, we own at BLT, VGF, BCV, and VGC (DL) - so I'm not a VGF hater (just stayed there a month ago).

I'd buy BLT resale. It shouldn't be too hard to get the points in the same use year, even if you have to buy 2 or 3 contacts.

Not trying to talk her out of buying BLT, I just wish that she would try all of the resorts before spending money on another contract that doesn't make her heart sing. She already bought AKV but wishes that they were closer to the MK.

Not trying to talk her out of buying BLT, I just wish that she would try all of the resorts before spending money on another contract that doesn't make her heart sing. She already bought AKV but wishes that they were closer to the MK.

I know. And there's nothing closer to MK than BLT. I love the GF - stayed there many times before buying dvc and a few times since. But i,and I've read many others, being frustrated with the transportation from time to time. Going to MK around dinner time or just after - the monorails are packed and you might have to wait. Coming back after the night parade or fireworks - long wait for a train and a long ride on the monorail, or long wait and cold ride back on the boat. Compared to walking back and forth at your own pace with BLT.

I think OP mentioned an autistic child in the family that had challenges with transportation. BLT satisfies that challenge much better than VGF.

Owning at VGF will not guarantee GV availability, there are only 6. Do you need a GV each time?

We own both and VGF wins hands down, BLT has turned out to be our least favorite resort due to several reasons.

I agree completely. We owned VGF and just recently owned (and sold) BLT. Not even close---VGF by a landslide. On our trip a couple weeks ago to BLT, we found ourselves wishing we were staying back at VGF every time we rode the monorail past the resort.

I have stayed at both BLT and VGF and I really did not like VGF! We stayed in a 2 bedroom at both resorts and the kitchen/living room seemed small for 8 people - I like the open feeling of BLT - just like AKV 2 bedroom. I did not like the balcony at VGF we were lower down and I felt like there was no privacy with people walking by. The monorail was down when we were there too and we had to walk 10 minutes to get to the boat then wait 20 minutes for the boat on the way back we waited almost 40 minutes for the boat there were so many people waiting. We have stayed in a GV at BLT twice for NYE and it was spectacular! We booked lake view both times and the 1st time we actually had lake/MK view and got to ring in the NYE from our balconies perfect view of fireworks and piped in the music through the TV's. We booked part of our stay in the GV at 10 months out but added 4 nights at the 7 month window. I would keep your eye out to see if you can book GV at 7 months out. I do agree with all that posted to check out the resorts before making the change. We own at BLT, SSR and BWV and I have to say BLT is my favorite resort and I regret not buying all my points there! Good luck

When BLT opened I was put off by the contemporary design. I read the mixed reviews about the resort so decided not to buy. We bought VGF when it went on sale. Then we stayed at BLT three times over the past year, and we loved it. I really, really wish we had bought. I don't love it more than VGF, or BCV, or SSR, which we also own, but I do love that it is different and central. I love the sense of space. I loved sitting in our room watching the fireworks, and going to TOTW. I didn't notice the "cheap" furniture or decor as our rooms were pristine each time. So I thought that the resort has figured out how to maintain it to avert the issues members raised earlier. In any case, I agree that staying somewhere before you buy is a great idea. I also think BLT is a fabulous resort, and an equal of VGF in its own way. You can't go wrong with either resort!

I think there's a way of thinking about the contemporary design which allows for it to seem more "Disney" than anything else. It's more like what Walt seems to have imagined the resort would look like, it's sort of an extension of Tomorrowland, it makes you feel as if you're perpetually at the MK (between the music, fireworks etc), and you catch a glimpse of the monorail every few minutes. I also consider it the perfect counter-resort for someone who already owns a quiet and highly-themed one such as AKV or VWL (obviously just detailing my own preferences and choices here)

Clearly there are resorts for every taste. I recommend that buyers try to stay at the different resorts prior to deciding if a resort is their favorite. Our mistake is that we bought BLT during the pre-opening period and got caught up in the pixie dust.

Buying a resort isn't a final act that you are locked into for 50 years yet this vacation we have talked to a couple who own AKV because that is what Disney sold them but love BWV and have trouble booking a standard view. When asked why they don't buy BWV, they thought that it was sold out.

I sometimes forget that the DIS only represents a small percentage of online DVC owners and that only 50% of owners book online.

We have over 1400 points with four differnt use years, four member Ids and seven resorts. All the points we bought direct are one year and then we have three resorts we bought resale which are all differnt years. I have never had a problem keeping track of them. The online DVC is very simple to use. And if I want to combine points from differnt use years for a reservation like I did last year for Aulani, I just worked through the phone representative who sorted it all out quite simply. Our cheapest resale points were 52 for Vero beach several years ago and the most expensive were 95 for animal kingdom about three years ago. The last direct points we bought were Aulani which we got right when they went on sale for Maybe 130? We don't care about using points for a cruise or anything else. We manage to use them up during the year with some carryover.

My son has autism and BLT works best for us out of all the monorail resorts. Walk or monorail to MK. Boat access to Ft Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge. Another big one is that BLT has a community hall that is a must for us. Also, we can watch fireworks from multiple locations at BLT or Contemporary without having to deal with the crowds.

My son has autism and BLT works best for us out of all the monorail resorts. Walk or monorail to MK. Boat access to Ft Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge. Another big one is that BLT has a community hall that is a must for us. Also, we can watch fireworks from multiple locations at BLT or Contemporary without having to deal with the crowds.
Thanks for the response! Yes the location of BLT is a major draw for us! The less we need to rely on the buses the better!

The biggest draw to BLT for us is that we rent a car when we come and all parks are easily accessible when driving and we can be on our "own time" except MK. Even with a car we still need to take the monorail or a boat to get back to our car to leave the park. We often get to the parks in the morning then leave mid day and like to go back in the evening. MK is the worse park to do that unless you are staying on the monorail or better yet at BLT walking distance! Love taking the boat to the Ft and VWL just an added plus
!

The Reasons i love BLT is there is the ease of transportation, walking to MK, monorail, boats. Also its one of the few newer DVC'S that give us a community hall, DVC pool, Extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedrooms and the pull-out chair instead of that flip down bed under the TV. I always get a standard or lake view room and request MK side. So far I have always been lucky and got my request's. I love seeing the monorail and the fireworks! I do also enjoy the other DVC'S especially Grand Floridian and Beach Club (If they ever refurbish). I do agree you should try before you buy. Everyone has different tastes. I first bought in at SS, and did not care for it and had to sell and buy elsewhere.

we just returned from our holiday trip in a BLT std studio. We liked being close to MK but it seemed more hustle & bustle. We both agreed that we like BWV much more. I think a grand villa with a BW view would be amazing. Might be worth checking out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter