• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How difficult is snorkeling?

AuroraRora

Princess
I'm booked to do Discovery Cove at the end of October and I'm so nervous about the snorkeling. I have a fear of not being able to breathe under water (I'm just not good with being in the water in general) and I'm worried that with the snorkeling gear I'm going to panic and not be able to enjoy it. I really want to be able to do it and see all the fish and rays though! Does anyone have any experiences they could share about how it went for them?

Discovery Cove will be a great place to learn to snorkel because you know it's safe from sharks and other "scary" sea creatures, which is one less thing to worry about. I would suggest starting out in an area where you can stand and get use to the snorkel and mask that way if you panic you just stand up/ bring your head up. My son who is three just snorkeled for the first time this past summer in the middle of the ocean in Hawaii with somewhat choppy water and did totally fine. Like I said DC will be a perfect place to learn. I hope you have a great trip and this helps a bit.

We went to Discovery Cove the past April and I am also not comfortable with snorkeling. I tried holding my breath and just using the mask for short periods of time and it worked for me. There is alot of action going on under the water and I'm glad I saw it all!

We move this past year to an area that has lots of snorkeling opportunities. The choppiness of the ocean made me really nervous at first, to the extent I got entirely out of the water. My husband suggested we go to the pool and swim laps with the snorkel and mask on to build my confidence and swim strength. I thought it looked silly, but we did it. And, it worked. The next time we went snorkeling, I was so much more confident and I could really enjoy everything I was seeing.

If you have the time, I'd get used to the gear now so the vacation experience is that much better.

It does take a little getting used to. I never snorkeled before going to Discovery Cove. I did take in some water a few times - yuck. But start in the shallow areas, that way if you panic, you just have to stand up out of the water. Just remember to keep the snorkel above water. And have fun. This was probably my favorite part of Discovery Cove, swimming with all the different types of fish.

I agree with going to the pool and practicing. I'm a scuba diver but believe it or not hate snorkling, I'm so used to being able to breath under water the thought of having that open snorkel bothers me. I own my own snorkel and it's the kind that doesn't allow water it so that helps.

There's an episode to Two and a Half Men where Jake practices snorkel breathing in the sink. Cracks me up because that's what I did before I went the first time!

I have a horrible time snorkeling because I have a horrible gag reflex and I can't keep the snorkel in my mouth for a long time. Sometimes I end up just use the mask and hold my breath and looking around.

I also have the gag reflex issue. I just use the mask and hold my breath. It works just fine

I'm booked to do Discovery Cove at the end of October and I'm so nervous about the snorkeling. I have a fear of not being able to breathe under water (I'm just not good with being in the water in general) and I'm worried that with the snorkeling gear I'm going to panic and not be able to enjoy it. I really want to be able to do it and see all the fish and rays though! Does anyone have any experiences they could share about how it went for them?

Its not hard to snorkel at all. Ive done it any number of times in the ocean and different parks etc. Ive taught my wife who is claustrophobic how not to panic while doing a mask clearing for scuba. Im also a DM for a dive shop and teach snorkeling 101. In the end its all in your mind. The more you think about what could happen, the more likely you are to work yourself up. Most snorkels today come with purge valves on the bottom so that if water gets into them, its expelled when you exhale. If you get the feeling of not being able to breathe, simply take your head out of the water. Its as simple as that. The best advice I can give you is this. Buy a decent mask and snorkel set. Not 1 from Walmart or any of the big box stores. Have it fitted to your face by someone that knows what they are looking for. Then practice in a pool. If you can sit on a step in the pool or a chair great. Just breathe through the snorkel to get used to the feel with a mask on. Then practice in the pool. Simply place your face in the water until the snorkel and lower portion of the mask is in the water and just breathe. After a few minutes, put your face in a little deeper. Move at your own pace. Any questions, let me know and Ill see what I can do to help.

There's an episode to Two and a Half Men where Jake practices snorkel breathing in the sink. Cracks me up because that's what I did before I went the first time!

I have a horrible time snorkeling because I have a horrible gag reflex and I can't keep the snorkel in my mouth for a long time. Sometimes I end up just use the mask and hold my breath and looking around.

Most likely the mouth piece is too big for your mouth. Simply getting a smaller mouthpiece sometimes works. Theres a trick to telling if the mouthpiece is too big. The top issues are jaw fatigue, feeling like you have to really bite down on the mouthpiece to hold it into your mouth and a leaking mask.

I have tried to snorkel a couple of times with the traditional equipment but had trouble with it. For our last cruise, we invested in full face snorkel masks (purchased through Amazon). They were awesome! You just breath normally. We had very little leakage problems but if any water does get in, it drains out the bottom of the mask.

You don't have much time to practice, you might even be on your way. So you might have to learn on the spot. Best to remember is that with snorkel you do not have to go underwater, stay on top and just put your face in. Slowly breath in and out and it won't take long before you aren't even thinking about it.

I highly suggest you grab one of the life jackets they have hanging. DS is good swimmer and snorkeler but he tires and it affects everything when you are trying to snorkel. The vest totally takes the work away from the body and all focus can be on just floating and snorkeling and enjoying. You'll last all day in and out if you aren't working hard to swim too.

Disney%20Sept%2021%202013%20Discovery%20Cove%20EPCOT%20068.jpg

Maybe buy a cheap snorkel set and just practice using it in the air.

If you feel anxious about this, is there a nearby diving school that you could ask for a quick lesson?

I grew up snorkeling, it's not tough to do at all. One time at camp we boated to a place far away and all snorkeled together, that was fun. Apart from that mostly at the beach

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter