How different is Vista?

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
I'm getting my mom a computer for Christmas. She knows absolutely nothing about computers, so I'm going to have to teach her. I have XP and have never seen Vista. Will my knowledge of XP translate to Vista, or is it completely different? I know I can get the XP from Dell for $99 surcharge, but I'd rather not. But I don't want her to be completely lost with no help from me either.

The Biggest differences are in how the control panel works and the fact that it pops up "are you sure?" messages for practically everything (but these can be turned off).

If you're Mom is able to take care of herself in XP she should be okay in Vista. :)

The Biggest differences are in how the control panel works and the fact that it pops up "are you sure?" messages for practically everything (but these can be turned off).

If you're Mom is able to take care of herself in XP she should be okay in Vista. :)

Actually, my mom has never used a computer, believe it or not. She knows nothing. So she will be relying on me to teach her. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be clueless because I've never used Vista.

Actually, my mom has never used a computer, believe it or not. She knows nothing. So she will be relying on me to teach her. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be clueless because I've never used Vista.

In that case don't sweat it. Anything you have problems with can easily be resolved with a trip to Google. :) Hope you Mom loves the gift!

The only issue with Vista is that if you have old printer, scanners, cameras, etc. They may not work with Vista ,cuz there are no Drivers to run them on Vista. So learning wise , Vista is good and easy, just dont try to use old stuff with it. I personally think this is how Microsoft gets every manufacturer to work together to make everyone buy new stuff and spend more $$$

If you go with Vista, be sure to do all the updates & the service pack to work out any of the old bugs. It works fine after that. Just be sure to do that right away.

Just about all my old software worked with Vista. Just some really old things didn't.

You probably won't have any trouble teaching your Mom on Vista. Our last 3 computers had XP and we just bought one last month with Vista. There was really no learning curve. As other posters have mentioned, the security messages are a little annoying at first but as you work through your programs, they stop appearinng.

We also bought a new computer with Vista- it's a lot of hype that it's so different- the bugs were worked out, you should have no problems!

I respectfully disagree. I find Vista to be annoying and awful (after using XP at work and Windows ME at home). I think it's VERY different and the Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) interfaces are totally illogical now. The main similarities are the start menu/desktop/etc are the same in concept. But whenever I want to do anything in Vista, I always have to google it to figure out how to do it. I really regret not ordering my laptop through Dell so I could've gotten XP on it.

just a couple of Vista tips-and if mom has never used a computer she wont know any different and she will be fine. Be SURE you have enough memory-you need two GBS of RAM for 32 bit Vista-and 4 for 64 Bit Vista. If you are buying a laptop dont be sucked into buying one with 3 GB of RAM-laptop memory clocks in pairs and and the way that works is you only get use of two GB even if you have three.
As for the office interfaces-if you think 2007 will be difficult-you can load an older version-the driver issues and most incompatability issues have been resolved-all my old peripherals work just fine with my 64 bit Vista-and my old office installed and runs fine too.
I cant believe anyone would prefer ME-its horrible-XP yes-but ME ackkkkkkk-so unstable!

I respectfully disagree. I find Vista to be annoying and awful (after using XP at work and Windows ME at home). I think it's VERY different and the Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) interfaces are totally illogical now. The main similarities are the start menu/desktop/etc are the same in concept. But whenever I want to do anything in Vista, I always have to google it to figure out how to do it. I really regret not ordering my laptop through Dell so I could've gotten XP on it.

Totally agree. Bought the DD's laplaps with vista premium and the desktop downstairs is XP. Totally different betweeen the two of them. Very hard to work on both of them as I am constantly confusing myself on where things are and they operate.
:surfweb:

I think it's VERY different and the Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) interfaces are totally illogical now.

But that has nothing to do with Vista; those are the interfaces in the latest version of Office, whether you run it on Vista or XP.

I actually like Vista. The only real issue, as JediMaster said, is whether there are drivers for your old hardware. You might want to check Microsoft or the manufacturer's website to see if there are Vista drivers available.

The only issue with Vista is that if you have old printer, scanners, cameras, etc. They may not work with Vista ,cuz there are no Drivers to run them on Vista. So learning wise , Vista is good and easy, just dont try to use old stuff with it. I personally think this is how Microsoft gets every manufacturer to work together to make everyone buy new stuff and spend more $$$

I have an older printer and it works GREAT with Vista. Let's see, the printer is 3 years old, the computer is 1 year old. NO problems at all setting them up and getting them to work together. :) But since your Mom isn't likely to have a printer anyway this is probably not going to matter much to you. :)

I would have to disagree here. I did not want Vista when we got our new computer but I also didn't want to have to order a new system online so we got a new HP with Vista. I thought it was going to be horrible but I love it!!!! We've had NO problems with it whatsoever. It's not annoying or awful, it's very similar to XP and Office (which I have at work). I've never had to google anything to find out how to do it on Vista. I just open the program and figure it out, and I'm not good with computers at all. LOL

I think your Mom will be fine with Vista, so will you. If anything you'll just need to play with it a little bit. :)

I agree, it's pretty much the same and the differences are pretty easy to figure out by just playing with it for a minute. I've never had to google anything either, I just figured it out myself and I'm probably a pretty average computer user. HTH! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter