• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you get to Dover from London?

jerry557

DIS Veteran
For those that have gone out of Dover before, how did you get from London? I know Disney offers a bus service, but I don't know if that is the best way or not.

There's direct train service to Dover Priory from Victoria, Charing Cross, and Saint Pancras. The fastest trains will be from Saint Pancras.

National express has bus service from Victoria coach station to Dover, this will be less expensive than the train, but will take longer.

For those that have gone out of Dover before, how did you get from London? I know Disney offers a bus service, but I don't know if that is the best way or not.
We took the DCL transfers, but we were headed for the airport. Easiest way for us. Didn't have to worry about "what road" "watch that car" "they're driving on the wrong side!" and being tired from getting up super early that day.

EDIT: Forgive me. My sick (cold) induced brain read the post as "Dover TO London". We didn't go from London to Dover.

Last edited:
The Disney bus is certainly the easiest way to go. You check in at the hotel DCL desk (we stayed at the Terminal 5 LHR Sofitel), give them your luggage and get on the bus. It stops for 30 min at a rest stop so you can grab a quick lunch.

For the three of us, it was the most economical option outside of the train, but we didn’t want to drag our luggage from hotel to train to cab to ship. We also considered that two years ago, the port was frequently backed up, including for trains, and DCL will wait for you if you are on their bus.

We took the train from St Pancras to Dover Priory. There are some routes where you stop for awhile or have to change trains so just make sure you pick one that is fairly direct and short. It was just my 9 year old and I and we had no issues. Got a cab outside the station in Dover and the cab ride was 5 pounds to the hotel (less I think but that’s what I had).

We were in London for a few days and headed to Dover the night before. I don’t know abt I would risk it morning of.

We are taking a car service from Gatwick to Dover, Southern Airport Travel. For us the cost is better than Disney however since we are traveling the day before the cruise, Disney was not an option. Did not want the hassle of getting from airport to a train station with luggage and train station to hotel in Dover so cost is about $ 10 more pp however likely would have spent that getting to train station. Add to that we are on an overnight flight getting to UK so having to figure out how to get around and which trains to take was not something we would have looked forward to.

We took the train from St Pancras to Dover. We bought our tickets ahead of time so the price was much better. We stayed in London a few blocks from the train station the night before and got up the next morning and took a train around 9am, it was less than 2 hours. Don't make our mistake, "the ship is just right there, we can walk" get a cab!! We took a cab from the ship to the train station when we got off for a 4pm flight out of heathrow. We got to the station early and there was an earlier train. The price would have been over triple what we paid so we waited the hour and took the train we prebooked.

We took DCL transfers. I didn't want to worry about what time to get there, etc. Although I did look into transfers on the Viator website which were pretty much the same price as DCL transfers but since DCL knew exactly where they were going and we were staying at a hotel arranged by Disney, I figured best to go with them.

we took the train from Victoria Station. Then from Dover Priory after the cruse to St. Pancras (to catch the Eurostar)

Ticket pricing - less expensive were trains leaving after 9am (i think), both directions. Was easy, plenty of room for us and our luggage. Check the times: look at both departure and arrival times. We waited 15 minutes for a later train that arrived about 45 minutes before the other one.

Eurostar from London to Paris - that was a different story about the luggage. Not a lot of room, you want to be early getting to your carriage to get your luggage into the small space available. But the seats were way more comfortable :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter