How did you find your nanny?

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
With DH's graduation and a possible out of state move looming over us in the next few months, this is something that has really been giving me anxiety. Currently, my MIL watches DD 2-3 days a week when I work. If we move out of state, I have no idea how to find a good nanny.

So, to those of you who have been there, how did you go about hiring a good nanny from a sea of strangers? DD is 4 and could thankfully tell us if there was any kind of neglect or abuse happening, but I'm still terrified of leaving her with someone I don't know well.

At four, in a new area, I would actually go with a center-based pre-school/daycare rather than a nanny. That way, you're not just leaving her with one stranger who is your only adult contact, but with a group of other children you can observe, in a place with regulations and official checks. It will also help you and your DD meet people.

I agree with the PP, find a daycare, your child will find new friends, and you as well.

I have heard some horror stories about day cares as well.

We will find friends easily, I'm not too worried about that. We will keep DD involved in dance and sports and homeschool co-op, so that will help us meet people.

I vote for a daycare as well. I have heard horror stories about Nanny as well. You will hear bad about everything.

At four, in a new area, I would actually go with a center-based pre-school/daycare rather than a nanny. That way, you're not just leaving her with one stranger who is your only adult contact, but with a group of other children you can observe, in a place with regulations and official checks. It will also help you and your DD meet people.
Totally agree - it just felt safer somehow that the staff had oversight and support. I didn't like leaving my baby AT ALL but I certainly couldn't have done it without at least a reasonable expectation that he was safe and comfortable and a professional childcare setting gave me that peace-of-mind.

Personally, I think anyone who feels that a daycare is by default a "safer" option is fooling themselves. Daycares are by no means necessarily safer. They have plenty of downsides too. A lot of kids to only one person working in the room, sometimes two. So less attention is paid, more accidents happen. Abuse still happens, as supervision is minimal. Germs spread...quickly...in a daycare. I'm not saying they're horror houses either, we had plenty of good experiences. I just think it's wrong to say that by default they're a better idea than a nanny.

I presume you're looking for a live out nanny, not a live in, right? After doing daycare for a while, we did a live in nanny for 5 years. Not a fun experience, at least for us. But to answer your question, there are all kinds of agencies that you can go through to help yourself find a nanny. You'll have to do interviewing, reference checks and such, but obviously it's worth taking the time to do that. Sure, at some point you have to take a leap of faith, but if you've done your due diligence then that's all you can do. Most agencies require the nannies to pass criminal background checks and other screenings. Just like a daycare, not all nannies are wonderful, so chose carefully.

Personally, I think anyone who feels that a daycare is by default a "safer" option is fooling themselves. Daycares are by no means necessarily safer. They have plenty of downsides too. A lot of kids to only one person working in the room, sometimes two. So less attention is paid, more accidents happen. Abuse still happens, as supervision is minimal. Germs spread...quickly...in a daycare. I'm not saying they're horror houses either, we had plenty of good experiences. I just think it's wrong to say that by default they're a better idea than a nanny.

Oh, I definitely don't think they're always better! (In fact, it would be far from my first choice for a baby or even a toddler.) But in hiring a nanny, I would prefer someone I already knew...and since I wouldn't know anyone in a new area, I wouldn't have that option.

I don't know what state the OP lives in, but in my state the law requires that each licensed daycare room has a minimum of two adults present at any time. If one adult needs to leave the room to use the restroom, then another adult is called to step in. The childcares we've used have all had excellent hygiene policies and were inspected for proper infection control policies on a regular basis. I didn't really feel like my kids got any more sick there than my niece and nephew did staying at home with my sister.

In our situation, I felt comfortable having one individual take care of my kids once my oldest was about 8 years old, and could completely and accurately report what happened during the day. We found our summer nannies through the local college where I work; they've all been early childhood education students who have gone on to become elementary school teachers. I find it works best if you pay competitively (you get the best candidates that way), interview thoroughly, and request (and obtain) several references. You might also try a service like College Nannies and Tutors; they vet their employees fairly well.

DD worked as a nanny this past summer. She advertised in care.com.
She also works part time in a day care. I know this particular day care sanitizes EVERYTHING everyday after they close or before they open.
Your best bet is to interview prospective nannies AND visit local day care facilities.
Good luck.

Well, it's been years, but my kids were in a daycare, getting sick over and over when I was lamenting that I might have to quit work to keep them healthy. About a week later one of my 7month olds caregivers said she was unhappy working there and would we be interested in hiring her as a nanny. It was a very scary proposition that we decided to try. Biggest worries were whether she would be prompt and there when we needed her. Obviously we had experience with her care already. She had a daughter the same age, so she brought her, we paid her what we'd been paying my two at the daycare (which wasn't that much) and it worked.

My daughter is in college. A lot of her friends nanny in the afternoons or their off from class days. They found their jobs mostly through Care.com.
However, my DD tried to do that and got several scam replies.

I use Care.com to find my nannies. I've hired 3 and am in the process of hiring my fourth as my current, wonderful, nanny will be leaving us next month for a church mission opportunity. You have to pay to use the service--look online for discount codes. You post a job ads and get responses back. I week out applicants over messaging, do 4-5 phone interviews and do about 3 in person interviews. Then I do a trial day with me at home (well, i work from home, but most people hire childcare for when they are not at home.)

I agree with the others, I would find a preschool with wraparound care (check out churches) for a 4 year old. What about public 4K? Pretty much every school district in my state has it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter