How did you buy--location, price, or year?

We bought based upon location first, price second, and use year was not important.

When we bought there was only 1 resort then known as Disney Vsacation Club now known as OKW. I won't divulge the price we paid (early in 1992) but it was much lower than today's prices.
I have absolutely gotten my money's worth over the past 18 years.
And getting free park passes was definitely a deciding factor!;) And I still love OKW!!!!:woohoo:

The only time we bought for other than location was our first purchase, BWV. We bought there because the "standard view" point costs were such a bargain. We bought in '03 at a time when BCV was selling out and they had opened up some new points at BWV because they were moving the offices. We had gotten a deal, Magical Beginnings for the BWV, and with the point structure we felt that was the winner.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Location, we stayed at WL when they were building WLV and knew the time was right since we love the theming and location.

I bought in this year on a resale at HHI , it had a great price and bank points which was the kicker . The mat fees are highist their but still not a bad deal in the long run . I may never stay their just because all of my family likes going to the parks better than the beach . But all in all you can't go wrong on any resale just because of the savings.

As in real estate the location is the most important thing. We purchased BCV in 2002 and purchased BLT as soon as it was available. We have found it great to be able to use the 11 month window to allow us to stay were we wanted.

If you are not using the home resort window, don't worry about that. Just focus on what you need - number of points available, use year (though I only imagine that matters if you already have a use year or if there are points left from the current use year).

Good luck.

We bought for location - BWV, and because we had seen and loved the resort. We never did a tour because we hadn't really considered buying. We had mostly stayed at moderates but did prefer the resorts. Prices were creeping up so we finally stayed off-site. Yeesch!

The vacation didn't have that Disney feel! I called DVC and purchased a contract. When BVW split the points chart to break out Boardwalk view, that was a bonus.

Since you don't plan vacations until 7 months out, it may not make as much difference which resort you buy. But, if you even have a thought of a vacation at 11 months out - if you own the resort you love, you could book the reservation "just in case" and cancel if you change your mind. DVC is more flexible than many other timeshare in that you can book reservations with no charge and easily cancel them as long as you're more than a month out.

Good luck in your decision!

We are interested in purchasing a resale and are torn between buying at the resort we love, picking a resale that is cheapest, or choosing one with the longest "expiration date".

We don't book our vacations 11 months out--typically within the 7 month timeframe or less. We do have a particular dvc location that we alway stay at when we rent. It would be nice to have it longer to pass on to my daughter....decisions, decisions, decisions.

Don't know which way to go, but starting to lean towards cheapest since we don't need the long booking window. What did you do???

None of the above. When we purchased it was just OKW and BWV. OKW was sold out and we knew nothing about the resale market, so we bought what we thought was available. If I had known about a resale market, I would have tried to get OKW. Instead, we own BWV.

Since we almost always stay at OKW, those of you who :lovestruc BWV can count on us to not be snagging rooms at any time of the year at the 11 month mark. :laughing: We have NEVER stayed at our home resort.

Ok, location, price, or year?

Location -- We absolutely fell in love with BWV! Its close to 2 parks, and has great views.

Price -- BWV points were a good bit less than BCV, and had the option to use standard points, making it much less than BCV.

Year -- BWV expires when we are in our early 70s. That sounds about right for us. I don't want to burden anybody with my timeshare. I am concerned that in about 10 years...our points will be worth much less though.

For our needs it was price. DVC held no interest till disney announced Aulani. Then it made it worthwhile to buy into DVC. We were scared to lose the points if we didn't goto VGC every other year at least. Also we have not been back to Orlando since 2002 and don't plan to for at least another 3 years. DVC would not sell to us because we live in Hawaii. So the only option was resale points and since there were no Aulani and VGC contracts. Came down to price per point with low yearly maintenance fee decision. SSR made the most sense so that is what we bought. Used those points to book into VGC for a week and realized we wanted to come back in a few months. So bought another contract with OKW as this was a great deal with banked points. Since buying both contracts we have gone to DVC 3 times in a 16 months (even bought annual passes and we live an ocean away). We went from going to Disney once every 2 or 3 years to visiting every few months because of DVC. Never imagined a year ago that we would be Disney junkies. Now we are deciding to buy an Aulani contract since it is only $91.80 a point and we will need more if we plan to stay here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter