How did traveling with your children change your trips?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
This is our first trip traveling with our children. DH and I have been to WDW many times before them.

I'm wondering what new things others did when they started traveling with their kids. I'd love to start a new tradition!

Some of the new things we did with bringing our DD:
* Disney themed small surprise gifts (flip-flops, sunglasses, stickers, figurines..)
* After 3 trips we now have a tradition of going to MK on the arrival day and having her pick the first ride of the trip
* Disney fruit snacks

We always take a photo each visit on the same thing for comparrison purposes. We use the rocking horse in the main street at Hollywood studios.

Found out it takes A LOT longer to get ready and leave the room in the morning and there is ton more laundry when you get home.

Other than that nothing really changed.

We found that our pace in the parks slowed down quite a bit. Instead of darting from one ride to the other it becaame a leisurely walk. Also, you need to take a little break in the afternoon and give the kids time to recharge even if it is on a park bench in the sade someplace. You will find that does wonders for Mom and Dad too :thumbsup2

The only thing that really changed for us was our concession that we won't see and do everything. We had a little frustration on our second trip with kids (first with two) with trying to do too much and the babies just wanting to re-do the things they loved. We finally threw our hands up and said, "Whatever makes them happy, makes us happy." and have never looked back! Our little ones tend to be afraid of startling things and really loud or dark things, even if the show/ride isn't scary. That would drive me nuts. Since we started just dumping those things altogether, we also got happier. LOL

The biggest change for me was the pace.

When it was just DH and I we went from sun up to sun down and never stopped to rest - maybe grab a quick bite to eat but that was about it.

With a baby it was much slower. We had at least one sit down meal a day. We were still there for rope drop (we were up anyway) but rarely stayed past dinner. And like a pp said, we didn't see everything like we used to (but that's why I'm glad we went so many times before kids).

As for traditions, we've only been once so don't have any yet. :)

One word...SLOWER!

You can NOT go cammando with a young child while at the parks...not mine anyway!!!! With all the stuff you have to get ready to take with you each day it takes way longer to get to the parks in general, plus you have to stop to give them a break or naptime, go on the rides they want to do, play in the fountains, remember where you parked the stroller, change diapers, change clothes, feed them at THEIR meal times, opps forgot the sunscreen!, where is his other shoe!!! (DS lost his shoe in DHS somewhere last trip), Ethan tries to attempt to swim in the fountains!, one wants to ride Dumbo while the other wines about having to ride Pirates of the Carribean, where did we put those fishy crackers!!?, change diapers, go on water rides, change clothes, Morgan is thirsty!!!, wait in line for an apple juice that they are out of, cranky and THIRSTY kid doesnt want to ride any rides, eat dinner, take screaming toddler out of restaurant until dinner is prepared, eat dinner in shifts, go on some more rides, Morgan is tired of walking...CARRY MEEEEEEE!!! Ethan is ready to pass out in stroller, leave parks BEFORE fireworks start, Morgan is hungry again!, get back to hotel, carry BOTH kids to room asleep, change diapers, put on PJs, unload stroller and bags, wash sippy cups and bottles in sink (bring own dishsoap!), get ready to do it ALL again the next day, mom passes out while attemting to watch TV, dad goes to the pool for a beer......next morning.....repeat!

It is draining to say the least, but fun at the same time....just SLOWER!!!

HAve a great time making memories:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

For us, our trips tend to be pretty kid focused. So when they were little, we didn't ride rides they couldn't ride. (We did manage to both get on Mission:Space when they were little, but that was it). Days are shorter. There is ALWAYS pool time. No late nights. When they were really little, no fireworks (frightened them until they were four or so). Different dining - when we are "grown ups" we eat signature meals - skipped them until the kids were elementary school age. But did more character meals than I would have scheduled on my own.

They are now almost ten and eleven. Life is easy - they signature dine - ride anything Mom will (and stuff Dad won't - not a thrill ride guy), can stay up late. They don't bar hop the monorail hotels, though. We are thinking about getting them fake ids in a year or two though......

I totally agree with the SLOWER pace everyone mentioned. We still manage to get through a lot because we make a schedule, but there are plenty of unplanned stops along the way. Until I had kids I never noticed the Mickey "confettti" that they spray at MK opening. DD noticed it right away on her first trip (she was 2 at the time). Ever since then we've had to do some Mickey confetti collecting (of course, you need at least 2 Mickey heads of every color :)) At least now we've convinced her to do it on the way out so we can dash to dumbo:goodvibes

I second the got more expensive one!! Especially now because with DS #1 it was only a small extra, however 3 years later...surprise twins...which threw off the family of less than 4 balance at Disney :)
However every smile you get makes every change so worth it!

We slowed down and actually enjoyed the sights around us instead of running from point A to B

Let's see...

We don't ride the E ticket rides nor do we care to since it is for them now. OK disclaimer, last August we were able to do Space Mountain (I did with my 7yo while my dh kept the almost 5 & 2 yo) & the older 2 did Test Track.

The kids napped where as I was used to hanging out at the pool during my mid-day break (I will do that in 3 years with at least one kid, if not 2 but most likely all 3).

My park bag has changed. We used to go with a big fanny pack that held 2 bottles of water & had a large compartment that I could fit a ton of stuff in (OK not a ton but enough for dh & I). The last 3 trips we had a stroller (or 2), I had 2 bags-one with diapers, wipes & a change of clothes for the youngest & the other had the camera, video camera, water, snacks, toilet & table toppers, lysol wipes, hand santizer, marker so the characters can sign a hat or whatever we had, etc..

Next trip my bag is going to change yet again since I won't have a stroller (youngest will be 6 & she won't want to ride if her siblings aren't but I will bring an umbrella one just in case). Anyways I am already looking at possible park bags & keep showing them to dh to get his input.

I need to pack more as well as do laundry more. I did laundry for the 5 of us every day last year. That was one load a day.

But I wouldn't change it for the world & I look forward to the next set of adventures my family will take on each trip.

My park bag has changed. We used to go with a big fanny pack that held 2 bottles of water & had a large compartment that I could fit a ton of stuff in (OK not a ton but enough for dh & I). The last 3 trips we had a stroller (or 2), I had 2 bags-one with diapers, wipes & a change of clothes for the youngest & the other had the camera, video camera, water, snacks, toilet & table toppers, lysol wipes, hand santizer, marker so the characters can sign a hat or whatever we had, etc..

This one is big. We were "credit card, ID, and park pass in pocket" people - sometimes we'd drag in a camera. With YOUNG kids it became an amazing amount of stuff. Now that the kids are older, we are back down to pretty much pockets again - although we are much more likely to bring in the camera.

The change for travelling for us is that DH downright refuses to stay in a "regular" hotel room. (We have 3 kids though too) He insists on a villa/condo for the extra living space and kitchen. So we are now DVC. ;)

But it has ruined us for vacationing anywhere else!!! We want Disney properties and amenities everywhere!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter