"How did they do that?" - Attraction Special Effects REVEALED!

Sonno

Disneyologist
Have you ever experienced an attraction and seen something really cool and found yourself wondering: "How did they do that???".

Well wonder no more!

If you have a "How did they do that?" question, feel free to post it here!
If you know the answer to a question and want to jump in with an answer, please by all means feel free!

Most importantly, have fun! :teeth:

(I started a similar thread over on the WDW Park boards and it's been a lot of fun. I thought I'd do the same over here because there is a lot about DL I'd still like to learn!)

Hmn okay.....

How did they do Star Tour ride effects? I want to know lol are you just sitting still or are you actually moving?

I don't know the answer to that :confused3 lol sorry

I got a question though. How did the imagineers make that one part in Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin where Roger pulls out a hole for your car to go through? When you see the hole from the side at first you can also clearly see a wall behind it. Disney magic? :tigger:

Hmnzles. I have not been on Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin for years so I am not sure. I will check that out when I go in August

flipturngirl said:
Hmn okay.....

How did they do Star Tour ride effects? I want to know lol are you just sitting still or are you actually moving?

Well, for one the cabin you sit in moves up/down, tilts forward/back and side/side. If you combine this movement in synch with realistic looking video, you can trick the brain into thinking you're really moving.

For example, I've rode on a drag racing simulator before (think it was at a race or something) very similar to BW and ST. When the top fuel drag car took off down the track, the entire cabin rotated upwards 90 degrees to "push us back in our seats" and simulate the g-forces that you might feel. Of course it was no where near the same amount of g's sitting there with our legs in the air, but it did create the illusion quite nicely.

T i DuBL GuH eRR said:
I got a question though. How did the imagineers make that one part in Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin where Roger pulls out a hole for your car to go through? When you see the hole from the side at first you can also clearly see a wall behind it. Disney magic? :tigger:

I think it is Roger that pulls back and makes it look he is pushing forward. :dogdance:

T i DuBL GuH eRR said:
I don't know the answer to that :confused3 lol sorry

Okay, this one is hard to describe, but if you look closely you can see how it works. You can see the pole that connects His arm to the hole, as his arm moves back a Fake whole structure moves forward.

Years and Years ago they used to have Annual Passholder parties, where they let you walk through the different rides. This was one of them so we got to check out how it works. Since I know how it works, it's easy to see when I ride. Also in the red room where he gets electricuted, look around there are about 2 or 3 different sets of electrical outlets in the room. It always makes me laugh. They are clearly visible from the ride, but not something you would see if you didn't know they were there.

Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter