How crowded is DVC for President's Week?

Ursula's Mom

Mouseketeer
Hi all - our home resort is SSR and we are now thinking of going to the world for President's Week 2006. My husband wants to see if we can get into BCV this time to try something new. I told him that we probably would not get anything there due to the 7 month window if this is a busy time of year. I said we should just go back to SSR, since I can book that now. Or maybe wait and try for OKW since that is a bigger DVC resort (and he wants to try something new). We would be going with my two nephews, so we would need a two bedroom villa.

Any thoughts from those with experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kathy

You might be better off booking SSR since you know that you can get it now, and then see if you can switch at 7 months. We were at VWL this past President's Week and it was 100% full, and a CM at the hotel told us that all the other DVCs and deluxes were also at 100% occupancy that week.

Good luck!

Thanks MinnieFan - I will call and book at SSR today. I like SSR, but my husband wants to try "all" of the DVC properties. However, I guess we will have to make those trips at less popular times.

By the way - how crowded were the parks this past president's Week? We have been to WDW during the months of May, July, August and October. How does it compare?

Thanks for your help! Kathy

President's week is very busy in the parks and hotels. Although for this past President's week 2005 I was able to book a BWV studio (preferred) at the 7 month mark with one phone call, no waitlist needed.

We have been to the parks twice over President's day weekend and this last one in 2005 was without a doubt the busiest day at MK I have ever seen.

I would have tried a different park (since I knew from last year that MK would be especially busy) but with a 3 and 5 year old, MK is the bomb. So, we used fast passes, we took time out to enjoy some things that we had not done before (the boat, Country Bears, etc) and had a marvelous time. However, I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. But, I wouldn't trade that time with just the boys and I for anything. :goodvibes

The parks were very busy but not unmanageable. We made sure to get to the parks early, as the mornings were not too bad, ride the headliners first, and made good use of fastpass. The only thing we ever waited more than 20 minutes for was Space Mountain. We've gone 3 times during President's Week, and even with the crowds, it is a great time to visit. The weather is great, not too hot or too cold. If I'm going to be in a crowded place I'd rather be comfortable than dealing with summer heat and humidity.

I was there President's week in 2004 and 2005. Like llovell, I was in MK on President's Day. It was very crowded! I was unable to get any DVC property on points for Pres. Week 2005 because I got the grand idea to go to WDW that week only a month earlier! So I stayed on cash at the Wilderness Lodge in the hotel part and it was fabulous. I just booked this morning for 2006! We booked at SSR, but may try to switch to VWL at the 7 month window. If not, we are supremely happy at SSR and will be thrilled to be there.
See you at President's Week!

P.S. Always book your home resort ASAP and switch to another one at the 7 month window. If it's available, great, if not, at least you have your home resort, which should be your #1 favorite place to stay anyway! ;)

Thanks to all who wrote!

I was pleasantly surprised to get a 2 bedroom at SSR for the dates we wanted. Actually, we are going to fly in on Presidents Day (2/20/06) because the day before is my nephew's birthday and we are taking him (and his brother) with my family for the rest of the week off!

My plan is to fly to MCO that busy day (and let the kids enjoy the pool if its hot enough or we will go over to DTD if its too cool for the pool) and have dinner at Chef Mickey's. We will then tackle MK in the morning the next day (hoping that if it was crowded on President's Day, it may not be so bad the next day - I can dream can't I!).

I like the convenience of SSR next to DTD and bought there for that reason. However, my husband has this idea that we should try a new property each time we go, since its all new to us.

I did not want to take up someone else's place at SSR for that week if the odds of getting BVC were good at the 7 month mark. But now that I know the DVC properties will be packed - I am glad I have my spot at SSR.

Thanks again to all of you for your expert advice! Hope to see you Divamomof 3 at SSR that week! I am already excited and will have trouble holding this surprise for my nephews for so long!

Kathy

Book SSR but go on the waitlist for the resort of your choice at 7 months.

We booked our home resort, BCV, at 11 months for a 2 bedroom for Pres. week 2005. At 5-6 months I started thinking we should try VWL. I called not thinking they wouldn't really have it available and would have time on the waitlist to figure out if we really wanted to change. Well, low and behold they had a 2 bedroom lock-off available! I couldn't handle the decision! Decision making is not my strong suit. So I went on the waitlist for a ded. 2 bedroom for the whole reservation. What do you know, but that came through as well about a month before! BTW - we stayed with BCV.

We went this past Presidents week and while BWV was near capacity we found the parks more than manageable.

We usually go in Oct. (not crowded) so we were braced for long lines and lots of people. I must admit that the MK was pretty busy so we left the park and returned later in the day. It was and EMH day so we returned about 10pm and stayed until 3am. It was almost dead by mindnight.

The other parks were more than manageable. We have been to most parks 5 or 6 times so we didn't need see everything.

I'd have no problem going back during Presidents wek in the future.

Ursula's Mom said:
Thanks to all who wrote!

I like the convenience of SSR next to DTD and bought there for that reason. However, my husband has this idea that we should try a new property each time we go, since its all new to us.

I did not want to take up someone else's place at SSR for that week if the odds of getting BVC were good at the 7 month mark. But now that I know the DVC properties will be packed - I am glad I have my spot at SSR.

Thanks again to all of you for your expert advice! Hope to see you Divamomof 3 at SSR that week! I am already excited and will have trouble holding this surprise for my nephews for so long!

Kathy

Hope to see you there too! I have 3 boys and will definitely be at the pool. I'm booked Sun-Thurs. that week but may pay cash at another hotel for the Fri and Sat night before..not sure yet. I'm with your husband...I want to try all the resorts too! But just in case...always book at home first!

Went to Epcot 1st this President's Day, at gates when it opened, we were able to ride most of the headliners. Left for MK around 2:00 p.m. - big mistake, near gridlock - couldn't believe how many people were there.

We were at the sold out AS Movies. They are much less enjoyable when booked to capacity. This experience convinced us it was time to look into DVC ownership.

Good Luck.

Book SSR and then switch at the 7 mo window. We were able to book President's Week last year at VWL and we own at BWV.

We went this past year and were pleasantly surprised! The parks were very managable and the weather was beautiful. It was a lot less crowded (and hot) than when we go in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter