How crowded does it get in early May?

Mickeygolf

DIS Veteran
Going down the first week of May in 2005 and was wondering how crowded it gets this time of year. We usually travel the week prior to Memorioal Weekend which usually works out pretty well. It can be hot, but the parks are all very manageable.

Thanks!

It wasn't too bad the last couple of years. The flower and garden festival is then so Epcot can get a little busy. I would say it is a little busier than September or January. A lot better than June, July or August. Also it is a little warm then also.
A nice time to be there, we'll be there the 8th of May.

Agree with Poorman. We've been at least 3 times, and crowds are moderate. September is less crowded, but early May is great because it's usually not too hot and crowds are reasonable.

I'd be interested in this too, since we arrive May 7th and coincidently, also usually go around Memorial Day.

We usually go in in either the beginning or middle of May. The crowds are very manageable and it is a wonderful time to visit.

We were there the 1st week of May 2001 and had the parks to ourselves. Haven't been able to go again at that time because we now have school aged children and exams are just around the corner!
Have a fantastic trip, I think the time slot will probably convince you to return at that time again.

Oh and P.S. the golf is really great - its warm but you don't have all that summer humidity to slow you down!

We're going to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary the first week of May also. I'm glad to hear the crowds won't be too big, but when it's just my DW and I we actually like it better when there are at least moderate crowds. How else can you infect others with your huge Disney grin the whole time you are there?

Uh Oh! We normally go the week before memorial day but are trying the first week of May this year too! Whats up? That is 3 of us right here on the DIS!

We just went this past may 2-may 11

The waits were not that bad at all (got to go on every single ride we wanted to, when we wanted to... Some twice or more!)

Temps were in the mid 80's but VERY reasonable. You will have a great time.

Keep in mind there is supposed to be a large media event on 5/5/05 for Disneyland's 50th anniversary. I'm not sure if that will have a big effect on crowds but there will probably be some early closings for private events.

We spent a few days at WDW this past May and found the crowds to be very managable. Longest we waited was about 25 minutes for Astro Orbiter (had never ridden and had nothing better to do). Most rides had a max of 15-20 minutes standby with FP return times rarely more than an hour from issuance.

That said, Epcot did seem to be a bit busier than other parks. Strangely enough it appeared to be more school groups than folks interested in the Flower and Garden fest. Saw the standby at Test Track approaching 60 minutes by mid-morning on one occasion.

Note, though, that the start of the Disneyland 50th celebration may increase crowds a bit next May. I saw a post recently on the Theme Park board from someone who claimed that press events are being planned at WDW over a couple of days in early May. If so, that could lead to some early park closures and an overall increase in foot traffic. It was also suggested the newer rides (Stitch) and resorts (SSR) would draw curious members of the press.

Early May is our favorite time to go. We've gone during that time the last three years.

The crowds are generally on the light side, it is after Spring Break but before the kids get out of school. You can still get long waits on some rides, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The weather is nice, usually it is in the 80s during the day (although a couple years ago it was pushing 100 degrees a few days).

We have to change our timing from February to May from the 20th on. I hate to do this but school is running behind because of hurricanes and we are being kept very busy, Plus we have graduation and it seems impossible that I'm absent because I am on the comittee. So :( we have no choice to postpone this trip. How crowded does it get then? Are the lines big? If this is not a good time when would it be another good time to go? All the information is appreciated.

Gily Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter