How crazy is it really at the end of December?

I don't understand when people say to go to experience it. Experience what? Mobs of people everywhere, long lines for rides, restaurants, transportation etc. Is disney that much different between Christmas and NYE? If people want to see the decorations, they can go in Nov. or early Dec. Just don't understand when people say the "experience" is something to see. The "experience" sounds miserable to me.

Every person/family is completely different in what they enjoy. For you, if the experience seems miserable, then that's your opinion and you don't have to go that week.

My opinion is probably similar to that of many who choose to go the week between Christmas and NYE and that is that the idea of being in WDW on Christmas or NYE is simply magical. What separates me from those who go this week is, I know I have a low crowd tolerance. Therefore I choose to go in January and enjoy pictures from those who enjoy braving the crowds and celebrating Christmas in the world.

While I think we can all offer our opinions of the crowds and the experience, each of us will inevitably have our own feelings on the matter and it's just too much of a blanket statement to declare the experience miserable for everyone.

lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?

shalom said:
Experience the energy, is my guess. One person's "so much noise and crowds it gives me a headache" is another person's version of "exciting and fun." ;) It's a ton of stimulation, combined with the energy of a crowd, and some people are really into that. :confused3

Others may not enjoy the experience as much, but still like to be able to say they've done it -- saying you've done WDW in Christmas season when the park was closed is the theme park version of saying you've survived Everest. ;)

First paragraph just described me to a T. Love that atmosphere. Then my family is "headaches and noise."

lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?

My wife works for one of the school divisions here, so we're pretty limited to when we can go. However, that's not really a problem this time, as we've always wanted to be at WDW during NYE. We're trying to experience all the key times at WDW, such as Halloween, Star Wars Weekend, Food and Wine, etc. We've crossed most of these off our list so far and here goes another one, so I'm pretty excited about that, and I'm sure DW will be too once she finds out she's going to WDW in a few weeks! :rotfl: Actually, she'll probably more likely find out she's going to WDW a day before we leave, as we're leaving on the 26th. :goodvibes

The craziest day I've every been there was Dec 21st. The parks didn't close and I was able to park hop from DS to MK. But by mid afternoon lines were crazy. The Mountains all showed 2+ hour waits but the one that got me was the 20 min. wait for TTA. You want to talk about a ride that almost always a walk on. It was the first day the Christmas parade was showing during the day and people were lined up 8-10+ people deep in Fronteirland. That being said, it was very much a very weird. At the last minute, Disney decided to extend park hours till 1:00 a.m. After the fireworks, everyone went home, they had had enough. It felt like I almost had the park to myself. The second light parade played to a half empty Fronteirland. I walked on to PP, SM, BTMRR etc. I'm going to agree with everyone else. Going into busy season's you need a plan. On that day, I used fast passes during the afternoon as well as went large theater attractions like Tiki Room and Country Bears.

This year I know it's going to be crazier. I arrive Dec 31st at the airport at 4:00 p.m. I'm using DME so I don't need to wait for luggage before going straight to OKW and on to the park. Right now, I'm leaning towards EPCOT but that could change depending on what time I arrive on Disney property and if any parks are closed.

kandb said:

I did read your statement, hence my response. You're saying you don't understand why people pay so much to go that week and I explained why. People know how it's going to be and that's what they want.

The vast majority who say they're going "for the experience" are locals and annual passholders. These are people who on a regular visit might only set foot on 1 or 2 rides, sometimes even none.

There's a level of schadenfreude there too. It's a people watching spectacle.

Also, you get to see what Epcot was like when it had higher attendance or the rides were new. Riding Universe of Energy with a completely full theater is different than the average day when half the seats are empty. Same goes for a full house at the circlevision films.

Plus, if you're at all interested in how the parks operate, you get to see how they plan for and accommodate the swell of humanity. Seeing the line for Gran Fiesta Tour snake its way through the building and then outside the pyramid becomes a "thing to see" in and of itself.

Very crowded and long wait times during the Christmas-New Years time. We went a couple of years but the crowds were to much to take. Shoulder to shoulder walking. Plus, most resorts have peak pricing too.

Ok you guys are seriously scaring me with this thread! Due to school times and arranging for all family to be able to go we had no choice but to go at this time. We will be in Orlando from December 27-January 3. We will be staying off site. Please tell me there is hope for my kids to see Disney for the first time! :(

bugaler said:
Ok you guys are seriously scaring me with this thread! Due to school times and arranging for all family to be able to go we had no choice but to go at this time. We will be in Orlando from December 27-January 3. We will be staying off site. Please tell me there is hope for my kids to see Disney for the first time! :(

There is hope. Do your research, have a general plan, be at the parks early, be patient, and understand FastPass.

But there's no getting around the fact that this is the busiest time of year.

Just be prepared. Get to the parks early..that is my plan and we will be there from Dec 20-30th. Is it going to be crowded? Yes. Can it still be an amazing vacation?? Of course..it's Disney World..:cool1:

There is hope. Do your research, have a general plan, be at the parks early, be patient, and understand FastPass.

But there's no getting around the fact that this is the busiest time of year.

That is why I am on here. Research. ;) I went to Disney 11 years ago with my husband. We were there the week after September 11. I told him never to expect it to be that dead again.

So I sort of know the parks. Not really though. I am trying to figure it all out before we go. At $100 per person we are in it for the long haul though. We did plan on arriving early at every park. We only plan on visiting MK and Epcot. We just haven't picked the days. We also plan on doing Universal one day.

The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?

Same way everyone else does- it is a choice. It may not be for you and your family, but everyone is different. We decided we wanted to be at WDW during the actual holiday- seems more magical to us (and I work in a school so I am limited). We could have gone the week of Jan 1st and saved lots of $$, but to me it honestly seems anti-climactic. To me, when you give kids a Christmas gift of a trip to WDW you should go right away (but hey, that's just me- don't get upset please anyone!!). I also would be unlikely to spend money on BBB, MVMCP, etc....just not how I want to spend my money though I know others would love it.

I know you probably do understand this, just adding my thoughts for what its worth. Hope EVERYONE enjoys their trips, whenever you choose to go :hug:

That is why I am on here. Research. ;) I went to Disney 11 years ago with my husband. We were there the week after September 11. I told him never to expect it to be that dead again.

So I sort of know the parks. Not really though. I am trying to figure it all out before we go. At $100 per person we are in it for the long haul though. We did plan on arriving early at every park. We only plan on visiting MK and Epcot. We just haven't picked the days. We also plan on doing Universal one day.

We are staying off-site too and will hit Universal for a day. Getting to the parks at RD will be very important. If you are not aware- MK will have AM EMH daily, and AK too on many of the days. So we will be an hour behind many already- just keep it in mind but you will be fine. Traffic is supposed to be real bad (not really sure HOW bad) so we plan to get to the parks early then stay there for a long day (probably leave after dinner each day).

Enjoy the trip and don't get scared for what you read.

The absolute most important piece of advice for you is: Arrive at the parks early! People have said that multiple times, but I want to stress it especially. Do not sleep in!

Wow...a lot of negativity...

;)

To OP--we'll see you there--same dates, only starting out for two days at Universal. (*virtual high-five*)

--and we've done it before.

You seem like you're packing correctly. 1) Previous experience at parks, 2) ADRs and, 2) a good attitude.

We're lucky enough to have been at WDW many times, and doubly lucky to have plans to return, so altho my kids have their favorite attractions if we don't hit something, NBD as they say (no big deal).

I feel sorry for people I see at these times with their "My First Visit" buttons, especially when they are starting look at each other and say, "Hey, I'm hungry, where should we go to eat?"

Sometimes the crowds, or more specifically specific individuals in them can strain anyone's attitude. I'm still working on that one. Good luck. I try to focus on the CMs and sending them positive energy because they have to deal with the really challenging people.

My one tip Magic Kingdom on Dec 30 for the "practice" fireworks and Epcot on December 31. If you don't mind the mosh pits. I thought they were great! Laser light shows and a fire breathing dragon disco in China. And where else would a 40-ahem-something mom like myself be dancing to the Black Eyed Peas (recorded, not live, I don't want to oversell) with her teenagers? Best. New Year's Eve. Ever.

We will wish the same for both of us and all the DisBoards this year. Mayans willing, of course. ;)

heart said:
Wow...a lot of negativity...

;)

To OP--we'll see you there--same dates, only starting out for two days at Universal. (*virtual high-five*)

--and we've done it before.

You seem like you're packing correctly. 1) Previous experience at parks, 2) ADRs and, 2) a good attitude.

We're lucky enough to have been at WDW many times, and doubly lucky to have plans to return, so altho my kids have their favorite attractions if we don't hit something, NBD as they say (no big deal).

I feel sorry for people I see at these times with their "My First Visit" buttons, especially when they are starting look at each other and say, "Hey, I'm hungry, where should we go to eat?"

Sometimes the crowds, or more specifically specific individuals in them can strain anyone's attitude. I'm still working on that one. Good luck. I try to focus on the CMs and sending them positive energy because they have to deal with the really challenging people.

My one tip Magic Kingdom on Dec 30 for the "practice" fireworks and Epcot on December 31. If you don't mind the mosh pits. I thought they were great! Laser light shows and a fire breathing dragon disco in China. And where else would a 40-ahem-something mom like myself be dancing to the Black Eyed Peas (recorded, not live, I don't want to oversell) with her teenagers? Best. New Year's Eve. Ever.

We will wish the same for both of us and all the DisBoards this year. Mayans willing, of course. ;)

You rock! Best. Mom. Ever. Your kids are lucky!

From an actual enjoyment standpoint..

Epcot is the park you're most likely to actually enjoy being in for New Years Eve. It has huge walkways and more dining, potties, etc.. than the other parks.

Best way to explain it is that the other parks all operate "near" their capacity year-round. Epcot does not. Epcot was built with the idea that Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom weren't going to exist so it has the infrastructure to support that total number of guests.

But Epcot will have more people in it than any of the other parks. It has a much higher overall capacity. Epcot on a normal day is around 30k guests. For NYE it gets to 80-90k depending on various conditions. That seems like a huge leap, and it is, but you have to remember that Magic Kingdom has normal days around 40-45k but then tops out around 65k.

from one family that has done this very thing....my advice is
to ....go for it! :yay:

why? there is magic in those crowds that can't be duplicated!

second~ don't forget...you can create magic if you believe ?!

we spent 2 weeks over christmas @ "the bay lake tower"
in 2010, boy ole girl.....we did it all! :santa:

in all of our previous trips, & as this was our very first disney's
christmas ~ we had magical moments in each & every park
that were "out of the blue"! never in all our previous trips
have we had such a streak. pixiedust: , to be completely
honest....we were even pixie dusted @ downtown disney. even
in the long lines, we made new disney friends from across
the country. :tinker:

* one frequently over looked source in the making of magic,
are the fellow guests you will be sharing your christmas trip
with.

i believe from having many, many disney magical moments,
there are things one can do to be noticed....is to present a
positive attitude & take time "outs" and use all your
senses to soak up all the atmospheres so you can let the disney
details "hit" you. not only make it worth the prices, but
will simply makes one "feel" the most magical place to be
on christmas morning~ i still feel " warm & fuzzy" allo'ver! :earboy2:

what a response without a few rules to make your dreams come
true?!~ :wizard: ,

...play nice. wear your family colors that best express your disney
feelings but because it is so crowded....make comfort a priority
so you can endure the grind. and be flexible even to a fault...,

( we went shopping @ the outlet mall ..where my wife found these
tees with a mouse trying on mickey's outfit. i thought they were
"goofy" but i was out voted. they were a big hit especially with the
cast members....so what did i do? i took the credit! :rolleyes1

ok? disney is well aware of the large crowds. and they want to meet
everyone expectations for creating special memories. what we
discovered, they do extra, unplanned ...events. from meets &
greets, to free gifts , & traditional christmas cheers. pay attention
and be ready for tink as she will be all over the place.:tink:

really!!!

if i told all the things we were "gifted", would take too many pages.

christmas is the most wonderful time of the year,& disney's
wdw is the happiest place on earth....& put together is the
stuff dreams are made from, :goodvibes ! ones that you will
want to remember.

the only 2 don't....using force like demanding & arguing take away
time that could lead to un- discovery's moments & don't stress
when things go in a direction that original was not desire. secondly,
rushing the day where things are missed or overlooked. be kind,
including toward yourself---there are many ways to take breaks from
the action.

no matter what, i hope you & your family enjoy the season &
the disney's :mickeyjum !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter