• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How could it be that DL is smaller than MK but has more attractions?

But seriously, DL isn't that much smaller - about 85 acres vs 107 acres - and DL hasn't had any place else to park new rides until just 5 years ago so has been very conscientious about clever use of space. E.g. the the Haunted Mansion ride building is outside the berm.

I'm certainly nowhere near the expert that many are on this board, but I believe that the walkways are narrower at DL as well. That's got to add up to some extra space somewhere! :confused3

jlmarr is right,but some of MKs rides are in different parks. i.e. Star Tours.Of course ToT and a Bugs LIfe are in a different park out west. :confused3

The rides are closer together. The walk ways are not as wide. And other clever ways of making things work.

disneychrista said:
The rides are closer together. The walk ways are not as wide. And other clever ways of making things work.

Yep, everything is packed in nice and cozy! :teeth:

Walk through the Indy/Tarzan Treehouse lane on a weekend afternoon and you'll feel why it's smaller. It's pertty cramped together any time there's any kind of crowd.

DL has less green space, fewer trees and the lines criss cross. For example, the que for Indy goes through the Jungle Book Cruise ride.

It may be a little smaller, but to me, it's the best! I love it just the way it is!
:goodvibes
Everytime I go to a foreign Disney, and even WDW, I always fall in love with Disneyland even more! :teeth:

As a DL first-timer, I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences between DL and WDW...DH thinks I'm going to be really disappointed based upon his childhood memories...it's so much smaller he says. Well, I don't care! I wanna go to where it all began and see for myself! Who knows? I may just decide that I like it better! I can't wait for June 3...first day there...hoping to be able to do the tour, Imagination to Celebration in honor of the 50th. I think it'll be a great way to start the trip...we're arriving at SNA around 1:30 so since I'm not sure how long it takes to get from there to GC by taxi, check-in process, and getting settled in...should be about time to hit the tour...will make our ressies at the 30 day mark.

momsgoofy said:
As a DL first-timer, I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences between DL and WDW...DH thinks I'm going to be really disappointed based upon his childhood memories...it's so much smaller he says. Well, I don't care! I wanna go to where it all began and see for myself! Who knows? I may just decide that I like it better! I can't wait for June 3...first day there...hoping to be able to do the tour, Imagination to Celebration in honor of the 50th. I think it'll be a great way to start the trip...we're arriving at SNA around 1:30 so since I'm not sure how long it takes to get from there to GC by taxi, check-in process, and getting settled in...should be about time to hit the tour...will make our ressies at the 30 day mark.

You have gotta go, if you never have been! But I have to agree with your DH, you may be a little disappointed. (Well, I shouldn't say that!) I grew up going to DL and have always loved it, but it only took once for me to fall in love with WDW! There is just so much to do there and we love Florida!
IMO that DL does have two of my favorite rides that WDW doesn't have. I love the Indiana Jones ride and the Matterhorn.
We were in WDW in August of last year and then went to DL over Christmas and I couldn't believe how small DL seemed when we walked through the gates! (The million people that were there couldn't have anything to do with it! :lmao: )
You will have a great time! After all, it's Disney! :love:
Stephanie

Michelle2 said:
It may be a little smaller, but to me, it's the best! I love it just the way it is!
:goodvibes
Everytime I go to a foreign Disney, and even WDW, I always fall in love with Disneyland even more! :teeth:

I agree, the original is the best! Not to mention the best weather, the humidity in WDW just about does me in.

As a frequent WDW and DL goer lately, I do not think in anyway DL will disappoint! Because it is so jam packed, you walk a lot less, and theus get thorough everything faster, but there are a ton of rides there!

And right now, the place looks brand new. They redid everything for the 50th and are keeping it very nice.

Tomorrowland would be the only big disappointment - with the closed PeopleMover track, identical Honey I Shrunk the Audience and rotating (but kind of boring) Innoventions. Although you do have a perfect Space Mountain and a much cuter Autopia. When the subs come back, it'll be getting there for sure.

The biggest shock is how small the castle is. But if you camp out in front of it on a night with their amazing fireworks, you'll think it fits right in.

They did learn a lot about crowds after Disneyland, so there are bottlenecks in the park. I also find the queque for Storybookland ridicluously narrow - obviously thought it would be all kids with their 1950's thin mommies!

The weather is great most of the time, and never as oppressive as Florida can get. No mistake, after 2-3 days, you would run out of new things to do (even at a busy time of year), but I can't see how it would disappoint.

There are so many nice little details to soak in that I think go beyond the level of attention at WDW.

WDW gives you scale and grandeur, DL gives you intimacy and delight.

Besides, worth it to my mind just to see the real Pirates!

MrShiny said:
As a frequent WDW and DL goer lately, I do not think in anyway DL will disappoint! Because it is so jam packed, you walk a lot less, and theus get thorough everything faster, but there are a ton of rides there!

And right now, the place looks brand new. They redid everything for the 50th and are keeping it very nice.

Tomorrowland would be the only big disappointment - with the closed PeopleMover track, identical Honey I Shrunk the Audience and rotating (but kind of boring) Innoventions. Although you do have a perfect Space Mountain and a much cuter Autopia. When the subs come back, it'll be getting there for sure.

The biggest shock is how small the castle is. But if you camp out in front of it on a night with their amazing fireworks, you'll think it fits right in.

They did learn a lot about crowds after Disneyland, so there are bottlenecks in the park. I also find the queque for Storybookland ridicluously narrow - obviously thought it would be all kids with their 1950's thin mommies!

The weather is great most of the time, and never as oppressive as Florida can get. No mistake, after 2-3 days, you would run out of new things to do (even at a busy time of year), but I can't see how it would disappoint.

There are so many nice little details to soak in that I think go beyond the level of attention at WDW.

WDW gives you scale and grandeur, DL gives you intimacy and delight.

Besides, worth it to my mind just to see the real Pirates!

Thanks! I am sure we will have a great time! I just hope they have some soft openings for POTC...it's not suppose to be back up till June 24...almost 3 weeks after our trip. You did bring up an interesting thought...weather...how is the first week of June? I've read about the "June Gloom" but not sure if I get that. Any thoughts about the weather you'd care to share?

I remember after many trips to WDW, making my first trip to DL. I was amazed that I entered the park, started walking up Main Street and suddenly, "You mean I'm at the end already?" It was amazing to me how quickly I could walk from one land to the next. Yes, everything is so much closer together. And be prepared for how much shorter the Castle is. DS walked past it without realizing it, because he was used to the impressively tall structure at WDW.

I love how close everything is, especially when I volunteer to run over to Splash Mountain for fastpasses while everyone else is doing something in TL or FL. It seems like a lot less walking to me than MK. The only problem is when there is a parade or right after the fireworks or Fantasmic, everything jams up and you can't necessarily get to where you want to go. If I am not watching one of these, I get to the land I want to be in and plan to stay there until well after the event, and I do all of my activities on Main Street during the afternoon (not around parade time).

There most likely won't be soft openings for POTC. The only reason Space Mountain got them was because it had been so long since it had been open that they really needed the 2 week test and tweak period, just as if it were a brand new attraction. That won't be an issue with POTC, unless some of the rumors are true about using the storage area for a night time version of the ride.

And to add to what Jen said. Most likely the first to ride the "new" Pirates will be the "stars" of the show at the premiere of Pirates 2.

As for 'June Gloom' . . . statistically speaking, June is the month with the LEAST amount of sunshine here in So Cal. It's foggy and overcast in the morning, burning off around 2, and then it gets cloudy again around 3 . . . ;) I grew up here, and it's perfect weather for jeans & a t-shirt with a sweatshirt around your waist for when you need it (unless, of course, you're used to a colder climate).
Don't be fooled by the overcast skies, however . . . sunscreen is VITAL when it's overcast. :sunny: I've had my worst sunburns when I couldn't see the sun! :smooth: And I know better!

June is also one of the dryest months we have, so I can't imagine rain being an issue. We don't believe in humidity here (seriously - maybe a handful of days per year), so that's not a problem, either. Just check for the Grad Night schedules to make sure you plan around the shortened park hours.

As for Park size . . . if you look at the WDW Magic Kingdom parking lot, both DL and DCA will fit in it!! Walt did not have the luxury of real estate in the 50's so he couldn't spread out like he wanted to, but he certainly cleared up that issue in Florida. We usually describe MK as Disneyland on Silly Putty and all stretched out. :lmao: The main place I notice it is Main Street - at DL, the Castle is at the end of Main Street just on the other side of the hub. In WDW, it's as far from the hub as the main gate is. I prefer DL, but maybe because I'm just lazy and would rather not walk for days to get to the other side of the park . . . :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll find things you like better about each park over the other. Looking forward to a trip report to see what you thought!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter