How come more people don't rent dvc points?

I've rented points before, and will again, however there seems to be an uptick in fraudulent rentals happening on another board. That shouldn't be an issue if you use a broker.

I don't want to be tied into the room, with a far out cancellation date.

With room only reservations I have a much better return rate if I get weather cancellations as I fly in from the middle of the country. Plus I'm heavily involved with my family and often need to be able to travel with my nephews for Tournements, or be able to adjust my plans if my parents decide to go on vacation with me.

Room Only tends to work for my style of vacation (lots of flexibility, no dining plans, don't do ME as I rent a car, etc)

DVC just wouldn't give me any leeway.

I was wondering this same thing! Reading all the replies, it makes sense that this just isn't for some families. This trip my sister and I are renting points and got SSR for $600 less than we would have had we booked with Disney (moderate rate for deluxe hotel in our favorite location). We love being near DTD and we could care less about a free dining plan (which wouldn't have been so "free" if we paid rack rate vs. the points) or mousekeeping. Just like the different resort styles, everyone will have reasons which booking system works best for them :thumbsup2

I think renting points makes sense after you've gone at least once. It seems so much more complicated to do that, plus all the other details that you have to learn and do on a first trip.

Plus, for us, Fort Wilderness has become our favorite resort so that's a moderate. The only thing we're missing between a cabin and a 1BR DVC villa is the washer and dryer. And the Fort is awesome!

We love OKW and BWV too, so if we go there again, we'll probably use David's and rent points. Cash reservations at DVC have gone way up the past 3 years.

Unless something has changed since last year, this is not true. We rented points last Nov and I had no trouble making all my ADRs online.

Well it has changed then. No one lately has been able to book 180+10, now if you are at 180 yes, but not plus 10.

When you try to verify your reservation it won't work.

I was just wondering why more people aren't renting dvc points (esp. safe thru a broker)? You can basically stay in a deluxe for moderate pricing. Am I missing something? I know it is nonrefundable, but you can get trip insurance. Just want to make sure there isn't something I am missing before I rent point!

We would love to, but I had a major bout of bronchitis from Jan into late feb and used up all of my sick leave and then some for the year which means if I get sick again the trip is probably off.

With rented DVC we can't cancel very easily. With a POFQ ressie we can and get all of our money back.

The DVC properties just don't appeal to me. I prefer the regular resorts for a variety of reasons. Once the GF DVC resort is finished I'll have to take another look and might consider it.

I have considered it in the past despite this and tried running numbers to compare a DVC rental to a stay at value, moderate and deluxe resorts that we enjoy and with the discounts that I've gotten, DVC rentals are not cheaper and would mean moving to a resort we're not as happy with. I should mention that we have to have 3 beds in our room even though there are only 4 of us so to rent DVC we have to get a 1br at some resorts while we have to get a 2 bedroom at others. That costs more than 2 rooms at a value or moderate or 1 room at a deluxe (with the discounts available when we've travelled).

Like others, I like the cancellation policy of booking with Disney and I don't need the kitchen.

I like to be able to switch room location at check-in if the room assignment isn't to my liking. I realize that even with a room-only reservation it might not work out, but at least one can ask. It's my impression that when renting DVC points, you get X room, period. Is that correct?

The other reason I usually book room-only is that I love the cancellation policy. Is there any cancellation policy with a DVC point rental?

Thanks for any answers you may have. This thread made me curious.

I like to be able to switch room location at check-in if the room assignment isn't to my liking. I realize that even with a room-only reservation it might not work out, but at least one can ask. It's my impression that when renting DVC points, you get X room, period. Is that correct?

The other reason I usually book room-only is that I love the cancellation policy. Is there any cancellation policy with a DVC point rental?

Thanks for any answers you may have. This thread made me curious.

With DVC you can ask when you check in but if you accept the room you can't change it after that, or if you do there will be a room change fee.

There is No cancellation with renting, a member might be willing to work with you and rebook, if possible but that is highly unlikely.

Everyone need to think of renting points as the same as Priceline, great price but no cancellations.

With DVC you can ask when you check in but if you accept the room you can't change it after that, or if you do there will be a room change fee.

There is No cancellation with renting, a member might be willing to work with you and rebook, if possible but that is highly unlikely.

Everyone need to think of renting points as the same as Priceline, great price but no cancellations.

Sammie -- Thanks for the info. It's pretty much what I thought, and these are the reasons I never book this way.

Many people want total control of their trip, you don't get that with renting. Also no cancellation is a big thing and even with trip insurance there are limitations to what it will cover if you cancel.

A broker makes it more convenient and yes some hold a percentage of the money until you check in, but ultimately the reservation belongs to the member until you do check in.

Also many people can not book 11 months or 7 months out that is required with DVC to get exactly what you want, location and dates.

This. Exactly.

I also looked at how much I would save if I went through a broker ($13/point). Renting a 2-BR through broker vs. 2 rooms w/ pin discount would have saved me $85/night. To me, that is not big savings, especially in the scope of the whole trip and the additional insurance I would need to purchase. And with the two rooms I actually get more beds/daybeds. It helps that my mom is coming, so the rooms do not need to be connecting. If I needed connecting, then I would consider DVC further. But, I would have happily considered it further if I wasn't scrambling to finalize plans 6 months out and if I didn't have the uncertainty of whether my mom would come with us for sure or not. Disney allows me to cancel for free up to 45 days prior and for a $200 fee pretty close to the trip date. Also, my deposit is only $400 for the two rooms and I can see my reservation every day online (which helps my OCD tendencies!). I would have liked to book directly through a member and then the savings would probably be worth it, but it seems to me there's a lot of work involved in first locating a member. There's booking windows, etc., to take into consideration. Much easier to call Disney and be done in 5-10 minutes.

We have never done the points rental, but for us a family of 5 we really needed the extra space to be comfortable for 8 days. I don't care about room service everyday and the thought of a washer and dryer is Heaven for a Mom of 3 kids. Plus I figure apart from the convenience of it I won't have to pay for so many baggage fees if I fly something other than southwest. My husband and I will be able to get a few minutes to ourselves in a 2 bedroom villa that will cost us hundreds less than the cost of 2 rooms. Do we rented through David's vacation club which we learned about on this site and after we made our request over 11 months out it was just a week and half before we had our confirmation. I can see the confirmation online and I can see where the member added the DDP we asked and paid for. Honestly I am so excited to be trying this because I just didn't see another way we could ever afford so much space and to have the benefits of staying onsite. We booked our travel insurance for 5 people (the kids were free) through USAA and it was only like 130.00 I still can't believe that because if we have to cancel for almost any reason it's covered. I did this to mitigate the unexpected because it's still a huge investment. BCV, can't wait!

So, if I attach DDP to the stay, does that mean I won't have control to make my own ADRs?
Absolutely.

As stated you will make your own ADRs, but the DDP must be added by the member you rent from and you will have to set up payment to them, as they will have to pay for it since the reservation is theirs.

Also DVC reservations are not recognized due to a problem with the online booking system for dining.

So if you want to take advantage of booking 180+10 you will have to call Disney Dining, which opens an hour later than online. This can make getting the really hard ADRs difficult.

I agree with graceesmom, we love our DVC but only for 2 bedroom villas. We don't want uncomfortable sofa beds either. I would much rather have a room with two queens over one bed and one sofa bed.

Also some are not pleased that DVC does not rehab the rooms as often as Disney resorts or the difference in decor.

If you should have problem with your rental, know that Disney will not get involved. This is a private transaction between two individuals.
I have yet to have an issue booking my ADRs for my DVC stays. And I have been able to book at the 180+10 point as well. But I may have just lucked out. Unless you are going at a very popular time of year, you don't really need to book all that early.

Renting DVC points is not going to work for every family. Personally, I like knowing that no one is going to be in my room during the day. I don't need fresh towels every day..however, I have a friend who has to have them fresh every morning. We don't mind the sofa bed...have yet to get one that wasn't pefectly comfortable.
But, I can imagine that there are those who want to have control of their reservation. I have rented my points, via a broker, just recently. The broker holds 50% of the money until checkin day..just in case there is some issue. I haven't heard from my 'renters' whether or not they need DME or ddp. But, if they do, then I have to book it for them.
Like I said, it isn't for everyone. But for those who don't mind not having control over their reservation, it's a great way to stay at a deluxe resort for a lot less money.

I have tried pricing it several times for my family of 6 and it just is not that much of a savings if any and its way more complicated to book. Plus I am only interested in staying at Beach Club or possibly Animal Kingdom. We booked 2 connecting rooms at AKL last Dec and that was so awesome, the 2 bathrooms made our lives so easy! I will for sure look into it again at GF but am pretty sure that will not be an easy reservation to get.....

I would guess that the fact of renting DVC points is largely unknown by most would be the biggest factor. People who frequent these boards know but that is a very small percentage of WDW visitors. I am about a week away from selling my DVC contract due to my DW's health, but when we do decide to travel to WDW in the future DVC rental will be a consideration. Bonnet Creek will be another consideration as well. The only thing Bonnet Creek lacks from any Disney Resort is the Disney buses.

Absolutely.

I have yet to have an issue booking my ADRs for my DVC stays. And I have been able to book at the 180+10 point as well. But I may have just lucked out. Unless you are going at a very popular time of year, you don't really need to book all that early.

Renting DVC points is not going to work for every family. Personally, I like knowing that no one is going to be in my room during the day. I don't need fresh towels every day..however, I have a friend who has to have them fresh every morning. We don't mind the sofa bed...have yet to get one that wasn't pefectly comfortable.
But, I can imagine that there are those who want to have control of their reservation. I have rented my points, via a broker, just recently. The broker holds 50% of the money until checkin day..just in case there is some issue. I haven't heard from my 'renters' whether or not they need DME or ddp. But, if they do, then I have to book it for them.
Like I said, it isn't for everyone. But for those who don't mind not having control over their reservation, it's a great way to stay at a deluxe resort for a lot less money.

I have to comment on this.

We stayed at BWV and the sofa sleeper was extremely comfortable, very soft.

Stayed at AKV, slept on the sofa sleeper, and I hated it. It was as hard as a rock, and I don't like a hard bed. If you like a hard bed, it would be fine, but I don't, and it was not comfortable for me personally.

It all depends on the type of bed/mattress you like.

I can't give up control of my reservation and I simply don't prefer the decor of the villas vs. the hotel part of the resorts.

I have to comment on this.

We stayed at BWV and the sofa sleeper was extremely comfortable, very soft.

Stayed at AKV, slept on the sofa sleeper, and I hated it. It was as hard as a rock, and I don't like a hard bed. If you like a hard bed, it would be fine, but I don't, and it was not comfortable for me personally.

It all depends on the type of bed/mattress you like.

Good to hear that they are not all like AKV's sofa beds, as I am toying w/ the idea of buying a resale @ BCV.
@ AKV, it wasn't the mattress, so much, as the bar in the middle of the bed. I've since learned that you can request an eggcrate cover to help. I switched over to the single chair/bed midway through my 10 day stay and viola, backache gone.
I'm a huge number cruncher, and you really have to cost out points v. discount for what you want to see what makes the best economic sense, an AKL value 1 br might be a great deal to rent, whereas the more expensive savannah view w/ a discount might be the same as a broker offers. No weekend days on a rental would be lots cheaper than a rental w/ weekend days. Just saying, you have to run the numbers and include taxes in your cash ressie v. number of points you'll need to see how much the savings are when there are discounts out there.

Good to hear that they are not all like AKV's sofa beds, as I am toying w/ the idea of buying a resale @ BCV.
@ AKV, it wasn't the mattress, so much, as the bar in the middle of the bed. I've since learned that you can request an eggcrate cover to help. I switched over to the single chair/bed midway through my 10 day stay and viola, backache gone.
I'm a huge number cruncher, and you really have to cost out points v. discount for what you want to see what makes the best economic sense, an AKL value 1 br might be a great deal to rent, whereas the more expensive savannah view w/ a discount might be the same as a broker offers. No weekend days on a rental would be lots cheaper than a rental w/ weekend days. Just saying, you have to run the numbers and include taxes in your cash ressie v. number of points you'll need to see how much the savings are when there are discounts out there.

I have run the numbers multiple times and for us, renting points will be great. Better rate than Military, Fl Res or AP discounts. Mon - Fri rental for just my teen son and I . We drive over from the Tampa Bay area so i dont need to worry about flights or other delays. Pixie Dust that we dont have some kind of emergency and have to cancel.

I would prefer to rent points and stay DVC but with my husband's job his vacation can be bumped for a meeting or out of town business at a moments notice so I need the flexibilty of changing dates or resorts or cancelling altogether without a penalty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter