How cold is December?

How accurate is, say, the 5 day forecast? I really don't care what the weather is, as long as I'm prepared. We're going 10-16 Dec....I'm hoping I can pack everything we need in out carry-ons!! I swore to DH I was bring only two pair of shoes. :rotfl: winter clothes take up so much more room though!

It's tough to pack in just carry-ons this time of year since I call it the "everything but the kitchen sink" season.

Start watching a week out and fine-tune as the week progresses. The forecast before our last trip was really quite spot on. I kept telling myself it would change, but no such luck. 2 days before leaving I caved and went out in search of long underwear and chemical handwarmers. I was REALLY glad I had.

I have only been once in December in 2005. The week we went was freezing and it rained alot which just added dampness to the cold. We were miserable and it really impacted our touring and vacation overall. A few days after we left they had a warm front come in and it was in the 70s! So, you just never know....

December weather in WDW..pretty much why, we prefer visiting in the spring or fall.;)

Last XMAS week a few nights got a little nippy. A few days later itwas in the 70's again though.

WDWXMAS2010221.jpg

WDWXMAS2010212.jpg

About 6 or 7 years ago, I spent the week of Christmas and New Years in Disney. Everyone in our group wore winter coats and hats just about everyday, even in the daytime and we are from Michigan.

I've been in December twice- 2002 and 2009. I found that most of the time jeans, a t-shirt, and a light jacket was good enough for me. However there were some days in 2009 especially where I needed long sleeves or a hoodie, and there were a few times in the evenings where I actually used a heavier jacket. It really all depends on on personal preference though because some of my family members were wearing shorts while I was all bundled up!

You have to sign up for the flag raising family when you check in. It's a first come first pick base. We were staying for 10 days on our last trip. When we sign up, it took 8 days to get to do it. We meet Ranger Joe at about 8am at the lobby and he brought us to the club level area. There is a secret entrance at 7 1/2 floor (Yes. You read it right. It's 7 1/2 floor) and two flight of stairs in order to get us to the roof.

DIS_6072.jpg

Once we get up there, we get to raise 5 flags and take pictures or video. Ranger Joe even took picture of us with my camera. The day when we did it. It was so cold and windy. I thought our ears were going to fall off by the time we were done. :rotfl: None the less, it was still a magical experience.

Thanks for the info.

I have a really nice fleece hoodie I'll wear on the plane, to save packing. Hopefully, between that and Under Armor, we'll stay warm. That's actually all I wear here in Colorado in the winter......unless it gets REALLY cold, like below 0, then I will add my down vest. Now that I think of it....my vest gets REALLY warm, and it weighs next to nothing, and won't take much space packing. I like the idea of hand warmers too. Could always wear all my clothes on the plane in layers :rotfl:Start with a few tanks, then a few t's, then a turtleneck and a few sweaters. Lol. Might look like the mitchlin man, but if it saves packing another suitcas...:laughing:

My mom and I also went last year in December during the extreme cold snap. We had watched the weather and had packed accordingly. We are from Virginia and I am a naturally cold person. I start wearing a winter jacket when it is high 60's, so I packed enough to wear 3 or 4 layers per day along with gloves, scarf, and ear muffs. For me, it was FREEZING! When traveling in winter, you should keep in mind if you are normally a cold person. I almost never go outside in the winter because of the cold, so spending hours outside at Disney was extremely difficult for me. We unfortunately only stayed 3 days of our trip due to a family emergency, but I read on the Dis that it got even colder after we left. I cannot imagine what that would have been like since it was already freezing enough while we were there. We are going again this December during the same time so I am expecting to pack the same as last year. Sweatshirts, long underwear, sweatpants, hats, gloves, scarves, and my heavy winter coat.

Can't believe it gets so cold! Get enough of that in England so will stick to going in the hot time of year thank you very much!! ;)

I'm just glad this question is being asked! :thumbsup2

We've been down in December and January and February, and inevitably, there are those people who come and think "It's FL! The Sunshine State! Break out the summer clothes!" And they never fathom the cold they might come across... especially in the mornings and evenings (but sometimes mid-day too!)

I've seen teenage girls in flip-flops, mini-skirts, and spaghetti straps... their goosebumps were getting goosebumps!!!

And then there are those young kids who are freezing in their shorts and tank tops, and their parents aren't doing anything about it - yet the kids are too young to be responsible for their own clothes... why can't parents be more prepared, or at least go buy a sweatshirt or a blanket?! Sheesh!!! One of my Disney pet-peeves...

We went the week before Christmas in 2006 and the weather was perfect- light sweatshirts in the am/pm but short sleeves during the day.

We went in Christmas 2010 and even the coats, scarves, and gloves didn't keep up warm enough.

Most likely you'll have beautiful weather, but you just never know!

Ahh! I live in Houston so I know what kinda weather that is. I really don't know what I'll pack now. Too bad I can't just pack up my whole closet. LOL!

And then there are those young kids who are freezing in their shorts and tank tops, and their parents aren't doing anything about it - yet the kids are too young to be responsible for their own clothes... why can't parents be more prepared, or at least go buy a sweatshirt or a blanket?! Sheesh!!! One of my Disney pet-peeves...

That's what I say -- I told my husband if we are cold/hot that's our problem and we could etiher buy something or deal with it but I'm not taking a chance of them not having something for my 2 year old when I need it. I'm just bringing EVERYTHING :goodvibes people are STRANGE

That's what I say -- I told my husband if we are cold/hot that's our problem and we could etiher buy something or deal with it but I'm not taking a chance of them not having something for my 2 year old when I need it. I'm just bringing EVERYTHING :goodvibes people are STRANGE

Not strange, just smart. That's all you can do this time of year. Unless you're independently wealthy and want to pay Disney prices for what you need once you get there...... :scared1:

I've gone the first week of December many times. I remember one trip I wore shorts everyday and just a light jacket at night. I also remember another trip where I wore jeans everyday and had my winter coat and gloves for night and was still cold. You really have to watch the forecast right before you leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter