• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How cold in December?

Annam26

Mouseketeer
How cold does WDW get in December?

Is it too cold for people in their mid-late 70's who have arthritis(sp)?

December is hit or miss. We get cold fronts that last about 3 days then it gets a bit warmer. Closer to Jan. it gets colder. Sometimes you freeze, sometimes a long sleeve shirt is fine. People from the north find it warmer than me, but once in jan. at illuminations a family from N.Y. said they never felt that cold (maybe they were exagerating, but our cold can be wet, and goes through your clothes). Dec. is a good time to come though, I'd chance the weather.

We were there in 2003 and 2005. The weather was all over the place...some rain, mostly clear. Some shorts weather, mostly jeans and a jacket type weather, but I will say that spending a day in an ECV scooter gave me a new perspective on the definition of "chilly". What would have been a chilly night became a full blown teeth chattering night when you are sitting for hours on a scooter outside. But, a warm blanket and hot cocoa helps! Basically, plan for all types of weather. If you have any thoughts of doing Candlelight Processional, please do your family members a favor and bring a blanket for the bench seats, because they are COLD steel and they will freeze your buns in nothing flat....not just a little cold...painfully cold. Just my experience. Maggie

I have gone 3 out of the last 4 years and it was cold each time. In 2002 and 2003 it got into the 30s at night and was in the 50s during the day. Last year it was in the 40s at night and ranged from the 50s to 70s during the day.

To be honest it is nicer when it is a bit cold puts you more in the holiday spirit as well as making waiting on the lines more bearable.

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds much colder than I thought. I imagine it's beautiful and a great time to go if you are young and/or healthy. But with health issues that can act up in cold weather maybe is not wise to go when it's so chilly :guilty:

Again, thank you!

well we're native (ok at least I am - Dh moved here when he was 7 and considering he's 10 years older will most likely have more "residency") but Dec is one of our main travel months...we usually hit WDW and then the DCL...and WDW around the 2nd or sometime 3rd week....

we ALWAYS end up buying more sweatshirts....the weather is so all over the place....every MVMCP we are so wrapped up, and personally I like my air at 70 degrees so.....

so I guess if you have blood thinned enough comparable to ours....prepare for everything!

Yup, all over the place. I have been to MVMCP in shorts, in jeans, and in a coat with gloves. All different years of coarse.

I live a bit further south than Disney and it is definately cold in the evenings to me. We have to bundle up and sometimes I am cold even with a turtleneck, sweatshirt, and jacket. It is especially cold if you happen to be where the wind blows right towards you. Our favorite months for Disney (I keep my house air at 82degrees- so I like it warm) are October, early November, and February-April.

This was us at MGM on 12/26/04. Notice hats, gloves, winter coats, and we were still FREEZING! I swore that night at Osborne Lights that it REALLY WAS snowing!!! :cold:

kermpig_sm.jpg

Like Jcricket said - it is a damp cold that goes right through you. I live in Ohio so I am more than used to cold weather but my grandparents who have moved to Florida always warn "this is a different kind of cold" and it is TRUE!!!

But also notice the smiles on our faces. It was great fun even freezing our buns off!

Have a great time!!!

One day it was 80 and I was in my shorts the next I was buying gloves and wishing for my winter coat. it's all over the place.

The days usually seem to be pretty nice as long as you have enough warm clothes (sweatshirts, jeans and jackets) for the cooler days. We have noticed that it is the evenings when you are watching Fantasmic or fireworks that it is raw. During those times you really need the hats, gloves, coats and blankets. We love going then because it isn't miserable hot and sweaty during the days, we just know to come prepared for everything. Of course, like others have said, some days you can wear shorts! :confused3

The weather can be anything in December, and when in December makes a difference. Packing for December is very hard...you need to bring everything from shorts to winter coats.

We've been to WDW at the end of December, and late December is colder than the beginning of December. Our one late December trip only saw one swimming day with high temps pushing 70. Mid 50's to Mid 60's were the usual daytime highs, but one day didn't make it out of the 40's. Got as cold as the low 30's a couple of nights.

We also go the first week of December. Usual daytime highs are 70 give or take, and nightime temps dropping to the low to mid 50's. You also see an occational 80 degree day, but we've also found ourselves using winter coats at MVMCP.

Generally, I think early December weather is very nice. Great time of year to go.

In December of 01 we needed shorts and were quite comfortable at the pool and waterpark. The car thermometer was reading in the low 90's. We wore shorts and tee shirts to MVMCP and were comfy the whole time.

In December of 03 we froze. It was downright chilly a lot of days. I ended up buying dd a sweatshirt. We still wore shorts a lot, but they were coupled with a tee shirt and sweatshirt. One day I actually had on jeans and a sweatshirt. We still did the pool, however, just kept everything but our heads under water.

It all depends. We're going again this December and I'll check the weather beforehand and plan accordingly. No matter what it's great!

Like everyone else says, it is all over the place. Here are a couple of pics from our trip last Dec (11-14). It was only a 4 day trip.
This first one is the first day.
75151Disney_2005_005_dis-med.jpg

This one is the last day.
75151Disney_2005_122_dis-med.jpg

It is probably safe to say that you should expect cool, if not cold mornings and evenings, but the middle of the days could be quite comfortable.

We always try and bring a mixture of clothes during December because florida weather (like everywhere else!) can be tricky. We were there in December of 2003 and December 2000 and we had some different weather then. In 2003 it was pretty nice with the occasional rain storm coming through...a little chilly at night...probably in the 60's if you want to call that chilly. :teeth: I remember having to buy a warm jacket because the wind was pretty darn cold! If you can fit it in your luggage, then bring a semi-light weight jacket..jeans or pants etc. for those cool days along with your shorts and short sleeve shirts. HAVE FUN! Helen

We went early December 2004. We arrived to a day of rain (not the normal afternoon thunderstorm) and it was a bit chilly. We had driven straight through from Ohio so it was still warmer than what we had left. The first half of our trip was wonderful – shorts and t-shirts, weather in the high 70’s low 80’s – didn’t even need a sweatshirt in the evenings, swam every evening, spent a day at Typhoon Lagoon and was comfortable. Then the cold front came through. We cancelled out Blizzard Beach day because it was in the low 50’s. The entire second half of our trip was chilly. I think the worst was the day we spent at Islands of Adventure – I had on a hooded sweatshirt and thought I was going to freeze to death (I did have on shorts with it). I talked to someone at home that day and it was just as warm in Ohio as it was in Florida. I suggest you take a wide variety of shorts, t-shirts, jeans, sweatshirts, jackets, gloves and hats – you may just need them all.

When we started to plan for our upcoming trip, the one request from the adults in the group was not to do December again because it was too cold. We are going the beginning of November.

Thanks for all the replies!

Wouldn't it be great to get vouchers for "perfect weather" (whatever that means to each and everyone of us)

Or better yet a "good health" voucher for the week of so and so?

Pretty dumb, I know, but it would be so nice! :goodvibes

We've been there, the first week, twice, and thought the weather was pretty nice, especially coming from NJ!

Last December, I wore shorts, capris and jeans with t-shirts (not all at the same time!). The night we went to MVMCP, we were in jeans and t-shirts the entire evening...didn't need our jackets! We had some days in the 80s!

A couple years ago it wasn't so warm, but it still wasn't cold. We only wore shorts one day, with jeans and t-shirts the other days. We did wear our lightweight jackets at night.

I've never been there other than the first week, but I thought the weather was pretty nice, especially when, here in NJ, they were hit with a snow storm (the first time we went) and last year, we left in an ice storm and came home to snow!

Not to be a wiseguy, but don't most elderly people move to Florida for the warmer winters? If you're planning on going the first week or two, I think you will be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter