How can you afford multiple cruises?!?!

lonestarTX

Earning My Ears
So, I'm currently booked on my first Disney cruise over a year from now. But in reading thru the forum, I see a lot of you have gone on MULTIPLE disney cruises....some even more than once a year. I'm just curious how that's even possible. FL resident discount? Save all year long? I'm really not trying to get too personal into finances, but.....seriously, how is that possible?!?! :confused3

So, I'm currently booked on my first Disney cruise over a year from now. But in reading thru the forum, I see a lot of you have gone on MULTIPLE disney cruises....some even more than once a year. I'm just curious how that's even possible. FL resident discount? Save all year long? I'm really not trying to get too personal into finances, but.....seriously, how is that possible?!?! :confused3

In January, we will have our second cruise in less than a year. Basically for me anyways, travel is my vice. I don't drink, smoke, gamble. My hobby is travel so I set aside money for it every pay check. I also travel a ton for work so miles and hotel points, credit card points add up quick.

I think it's different for different people.

Some folks make a lot of money.

Some are really great at saving.

Lots live far below their means driving old cars and living in smaller houses than they could afford.

I'd love to cruise a lot. We can't do that, but we can go once a year. We don't have any debt right now (when we buy another house that will change, but right now we rent). Our cars aren't new. We don't eat out but once a month. I shop sales for all our clothes and we buy a lot at places like Costco.

I'm always looking for ways to save money.

Oh, and we don't drink or smoke, so that saves money right there.

I live in FL and the resident discount has never been useful to me. I am a single mother of 2 and I made the choice to spend money on travel and Disney as opposed to having a huge house and a fancy car. I live very modest and have a set amount go to the Disney fund every week as well as all my earnings from sewing. I'm trying to go as often as possible before my girls think it's uncool to hang out with Mom.

I agree it is a give and take! and Disney cruises are not cheap! right now I am trying to figure out how to get my family of 4 on the Fantasy! Cause I really really want to go! LOL :thumbsup2

We're rich!! :rotfl2:

Just kidding!!
Going on our 2nd DCL cruise to the MR this year.
*Kids' sail free promo & no airfare from L.A. definitely helps.
Booking while onboard for the discount also helped.
We chose to use our tax refund $$ to give our son a Halloween/Birthday cruise. Leaving in 1 week!!!!!! Yay!)
Our Family Fun & Joy is our priority!!

For us, it was a lot easier to do and afford multiple cruises when the kids were so young that we didn't have to worry about school schedules. Offseason cruises are much cheaper than summer or holiday cruises.

Plus, we upgraded 3x at the port to concierge rooms (another benefit of offseason cruises!) and realized that we didn't use the verandah or concierge benefits enough to warrant the extra cost, so we started booking oceanview rooms (unless we had a deal on a verandah.)

Now that we're having to cruise during the summer, we try to get in on opening day pricing, and keep eyes open on deals, etc. that can help bring the costs down.

We cruise 3-6 times each year. My husband and I both have good jobs and we love Disney. We don't go out to eat often (maybe once every 4-5 months or so). Our vacations are part of our monthly budget and we aren't into fancy cars or homes larger than what we need. We feel Disney vacations are a great deal for our family!

Theres any number of ways. We live in Fl and typically cruise at least once a year.

some of the more popular ways, are, applying for a Disney Visa card, and using that. That also gives you an obc in most cases, use a travel agent that gives an OBC, some are more then others, and the better things is time of year that you travel. Some cruises I have priced out can vary over 1000 dollars from 1 week to the next. We dont mind taking the kids out of school, if it will save us a few hundred or even a 1000, by going 1 or 2 weeks later. the other big thing, is that you dont have to come up with the total cruise payment, the same day you book, as some hotels for example. You have up to 75 days prior (for most cruises) to pay off a cruise. If a cruise is say 2000 total, the farther out you book, the less the monthly payment is. Others will use their tax returns. From what 1 DCL rep told me, the months of Jan-March are pretty big for new bookings.

Something else i just remembered, is that I think there is sometype of discount if you rebook onboard.

Oh yeah, the deals :thumbsup2. Our first cruise and our second upcoming cruise were both booked with KSF! And our upcoming third cruise was booked on opening day.

I went on 5 cruises in 2008, but only 1 was on Disney! I sailed on Disney with my mom (once) and a friend (for the third time in 12/2012), so I paid for just one person. I also book the least expensive cabin on cruises, and try to avoid peak season.

I still haven't cruised with my entire family (husband and 3 kids) all at the same time, but I have cruised with everyone individually. If we ever cruise together as a family, I'm pretty sure it won't be on Disney.

We've always booked on deals or on board as well:

1. 7-night Western Caribbean 2009 - got a Cdn. residents deal.
2. 3-night Bahamas 2009 - while on the Caribbean cruise we got a bounceback voucher to sail for $99 per person, so DH and I did a quick getaway!
3. 10-night Med 2010 - booked this cruise while on board the Caribbean cruise for 20% off and $400 OBC...a couple months before the cruise we got an additional $100/person OBC for booking so early in advance! :thumbsup2
4. 7-night MR 2011 - we booked Kids sail free deal
5. 5-night Bahamas 2011 - booked this one on board the Med cruise for 10% off and $100 OBC. And while on board we purchased DVC and got an additional $500 obc.

Bottom line is...you can find some kind of deal, or book early in advance...or like others have said, cut back on other things and set that money aside for vacation funds. We don't smoke or drink or go out to movies, etc. We do eat out occasionally, but not too much. We also have no credit card debt, and both drive older vehicles with no payments.

Everyone's financial situation is different, but I harbour no ill will towards anyone who can do something bigger or better than me! :rotfl2:

We are doing three this year. In the past it was often 1 every other year. Honestly we make a lot more now, and with a small child these are our only family vacations. (except weekend trips) I miss traveling Europe but not ready to take a three year old on a looooong flight yet. :upsidedow

OK.. so I can understand how folks can save up and such to go on multiple cruises a year. MY question is... How the heck do you get off from work so much each year to go on vacation? Most folks I know get 2 weeks a year off and that's it. I've read on these boards where some folks go on 4-6 cruises a year.... Must be a great company to work for..

:cheer2:

OK.. so I can understand how folks can save up and such to go on multiple cruises a year. MY question is... How the heck do you get off from work so much each year to go on vacation? Most folks I know get 2 weeks a year off and that's it. I've read on these boards where some folks go on 4-6 cruises a year.... Must be a great company to work for..

My husband gets five weeks a year (he's been with the same company for over 20 years). He's been able to bank vacation time from one year to the next in the past. I'm sure that there are others here in the same boat, so to speak. And I'm a SAHM, so no worries on that front.

I would also guess that there are people here who are retired or work for school districts and get the same vacation time as kids.

And don't forget, not all cruises are a week. Plenty of folks are doing multiple 3-day trips. If you plan those right with holidays, etc, you don't have to take as much time off.

After having done 15 cruises, I guess I have made the concious decision to spend my children's inheritance!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I haven't taken lots of cruises...yet ;)...but we do take lots of vacations. I work overtime at my job on the weekends (I work from home so it's extremely easy for me to do this) and use that money to pay for the extras of life. :)

Our very first cruise, I booked 17 months in advance and saved like crazy. While on the ship, I booked the second getting the discount and OBC. I swore up and down that I would not book another one while when we sailed, but only having to put down $100 per person sold me on the third one.

And on the third one? Well, it was too good of a deal to pass up especially getting to sail on the Dream.

Something I did notice, it seemed like every cruise was around the same price once we got the discount. I like not having to have everything paid at once also. I hold it in a savings account and pay a couple of days before the due date.

Even when my husband lost his job and the next job paid 30% less, we managed with me working part time. I've increased my hours (and dropped one of my pt jobs) and I pay for the cruises and vacations instead of using house money. And tax refunds come in to play too.

I cant speak for eveyone, but where I work, I can do time trades with others. Theoretically, I could get a few people to work my schedule, and take a month or 2 off per year, and never have to touch vacation time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter