• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"How can you afford a Disney Trip?"

jacksonsmom

<font color=blue>Can you guess who I am a mom for?
I am being asked that ALL the time by certain family members who don't THINK DH & I should go on this trip. It is starting to wear thin. :mad:

OK, so we are not well off, we live in an apartment, have bills to pay, etc, etc, etc.....but why does that mean we can not go to Disney????

We are mainly getting it from the In-Laws (who by they way NEVER went on a family vacation with their kids) and they have made it very clearly that we should be putting our Disney money towards a house!
Ok, one day we would love to get out of our apartment & move into a house....right now though it is NOT in the cards, so apartment we stay!

We worked very hard to save money for this trip. We had 2 garage sales & I sold a lot on Ebay & we are able to go to Disney World twice with all the money we earned! We will be going in about 2 weeks for a 2 weeks stay & then again in December for a 5 day stay.
We have saved so much money by using the deals I have found with the help for these boards (THANK YOU!!!!!! :D )
That we are able to afford another trip in December. (Of course the relatives HAVE NO idea we are going again in December....it will be our little secret :p )

I am just tired of hearing how we shouldn't go. It's not like we are charing up credit cards to go on this trip...it is/will be paid for IN FULL with money we earned by doing some work on the side!

Is there anything wrong with that????

We also hear comments about how my 3.5 yrs old son (will be 4 in August) won't remember it!!! :mad:
I am SOOOO tired of hearing that too. My son remembers 2 Halloween's ago when I was in the hospital & daddy & him brought a pumpkin so I could watch them carve it! I am not saying he will remember every little bit of this trip & even if he doesn't remember anything, WE will!

Please don't tell me DH & I are the only ones who get a lot of grief about going on a nice vacation! :rolleyes:

We are at the point now DH & I just ignore it & just :rolleyes: at the in laws & other relatives. :p

I will tell you one thing since certain people think we should not be down there, we are NOT bringing anything back for them!!!! :p ;)

My MIL didn't want to go when SIL offered to take her. They had to convince her and drag her onto the plane. Now she can't stop talking about it, and can't wait to go back! Lots of people can't understand why we go back every year, and spend the $ we do. It's hard to explain unless they've been there, that it's like a different world, where everyone is happy all the time, there is no work, there is world harmony, and the weather is gorgeous 98% of the time. Although, when friends need WDW advice who do they come to? Of course, me! I have mastered going on a budget so that we can go each year. We stay at the AS, eat at the food court & counter svc & offsite, and treat ourselves to a few character meals & lots of souveniers. I don't each lunch out, don't buy new cars every other year, don't go to expensive dept stores to shop, buy most of my groceries on sale, and get to go to WDW each year on the savings (or tax refund!). Seems like a great trade off to me! Once you get there you'll forget everybody's comments anyway, and realize you did the right thing. Maybe you could start putting a little bit away each week for a house to pacify the elders, and to help justify the decisions to yourself.

I hate the how can you afford to do it queries:mad: DW and I have saved for our trip in 5 days--we're going for three weeks--and all we hear is NOBODY GOES TO DISNEY FOR THREE WEEKS. My answer--We Do;) This past weekend, My SIL was telling me about her conversation she had with a friend that had gone to Disney in Feb. It went like this--

SIL--R (the friend) was saying the other day that she couldn't figure out how you guys are able to afford to go to Disney for 3 weeks. R and her husband have just finished paying for their trip this past Feb.

Me--Wow, just finished paying? That's pretty dumb to go to Disney on credit;) (that really got SIL's goat) Did they not pay cash for it like WE ARE?

SIL--Well, I don't talk about other people's business....

I wanted to scream, "You obviously have been talking about mine!"

Anyway, sorry to vent like this but, like you, I cannot stand for people to pass judgment on what I choose to do with my hard earned money.

Also, my theory is that when people ask these kinds of questions, they are asked out of a type of jealousy. That is, the questioner (your in-laws) never went on vacation, they probably wanted to but they did not allow themselves to go. Now, you come along and show them that it is possible to go on vacation. To accept the fact that your vacationing is okay would require them to accept the fact that perhaps they wasted a part of their life by denying themselves the pleasures that you allow yourself to enjoy. Instead of realizing that they could have made other choices, they villify you and your choioces. Thus, their paradigm of the way the world should be is safe and they can be happy in their ignorant belief that only one "right" way to live one's life exists.

Sorry this is so long:D

I'm a very mean person sometimes so you must keep that in mind while reading.

*I* would ask them "How do you pay YOUR bills?...Wait, that's none of MY BUSINESS, IS IT?" People are so gauche...I did have one friend who told me that she thought our trip to WDW was a foolish expenditure...the same one who spent $500+ in one day at a Renaissance Faire buying cheesy costumes. I would really tell people as long as I didn't ask them for money, it was none of their business.

As for your son not remembering...well, he doesn't remember his first step, word or tooth, does he? BUT YOU DO!!!

People. Sheesh. Gad, I think I'm going to be a very cantankerous old woman.

I get that question a lot here lately. You see I found out in January that I was being laid off this summer, but I had already planned a trip this summer to go back to WDW. The money is in the bank and everything is paid for. Some people ask why not use the money incase I don't find a job before this one ends and I just tell them that I would rather see my kids' faces at WDW while they are young more than worry about saving a little extra money. My kids will only be young once and jobs and houses and such come and go. I have two savings accounts and one is for this trip, the other will support us for awhile if a job is not there, but the memories we will have will be with us for a lifetime and they are priceless. Plus I know God will provide in our time of need.

So my advice is to tell them not to worry about it, you are happy and that is what counts. Have a great vacation.

We go ever other year and I STILL get asked that question!!:mad: Another one that makes me mad is "You could use that money for something else" Yeah, we could use it for things that others think "more important" but what price tag can you put on the wonderful family memories we are making? My kids are 13, 11, and 8. Time is going to come soon enough when they WON'T want to go anywhere with us. I cherish these vacations dearly. We use our tax refund, yard sales, ebay, birthday money...whatever "extra" we happen to get. Once I make the reservations, I pay a little each month so that is already paid for long before we leave. Tickets are purchased with cash (actually Disney $$ - I change birthday money into that!) before we leave. I save change and cash in my points for prepaid gas cards to take care of the fuel. I don't charge anything. :D

As far as your son remembering this trip, my kids were 3 1/2 and 2 on their first trip (youngest was a "stowaway" on this trip if you get my meaning! ;) ) They BOTH remember parts of this vacation!
Kirk remembers trying to catch the water from the jumping fountain outside Imagination and his dad helping him (the water caught HIM though!! :p ) Jeana remembers not wanting Kirk to have a turn in the stroller(at 3, he walked all the parks himself!!) and waiting in line to meet Barbie who "really smelled"!! :rolleyes: (too much perfume!!) Your child will remember quite a bit! Enjoy yourself!! :bounce:

If you already have a trip planned and paid for, and you get laid off, wouldn't it help your state of mind to go on the trip and come back refreshed? My brother got laid off, and has been looking for a job for about 6 months. The first month, though, he did take a trip or two (not Disney, though) to take advantage of the time. Since it has been so long now, he is depressed, and I'm sure it comes across to the interviewers. Resumes could still be sent out, want ads checked, phone messages checked, from the resort poolside for the week or two you would be away from home.

Believe me your son will remember this trip!! Our first year taking the kids was June 2000 and our youngest had just turned 3 in May and she remembers everything from playing and getting wet at Donalds boat and being scared of the Barnstormer and eating those mickey bars!! Also seeing Cinderella for the first time!! Just a tip but keep a daily journal of everthing you do on vacation from the weather to where you ate and how long the waits were for rides! I read mine when I start missing the mouse and it will come in handy when planning your next trip!!

It might just be that the out errrrr in-laws lived through a bit of the depression and their first concern was always having money "just in case" My parents always scrimped and saved and still do but they finally this year have been spending some of their money. The house they live in now they built themselves and only after fully paying for the land. We did take vacations but only used cash and stayed in our camper 99% of the time. The other 1% was in a lil tiny mom and pop type hotel in the middle of a long camping trip. They just bought their 2nd ever brand new vehicle and are right now on a long roadtrip across the USA.

It amazes me how our friends comment on our going on vacation and spending $$$ but they seem to forget that while they go out every summer weekend and spend over $50 on a meal and several drinks and whatever it costs for a babysitter that we are at home with our kids having fun and not spending $$$. Not to mention I dont have 2 brand new vehicles in my driveway...which means I have no car loan either.
:p

Just go and have fun. Once you're there the magic will take over and you wont even think about them. Maybe after December you can split your Ebay money and start saving for a house so that will pacify the in-laws while still saving for another trip to WDW.

I have Disney-itis bad. And I don't want a 12-step group, either. We have AP's, use codes, meal vouchers, and pre-pay rooms, or take advantage of bargains like the low August rate at the DTD Marriott. We used to camp at Ft Wilderness when that was the only way we could stay onsite. And when people talk about little ones not remembering much, that's ok. I caught my Disney-itis from the magic in watching my then 5 y.o. DD quiver with excitement at she finally got to meet Mickey. She doesn't really remember much of that first trip to WDW, but I do. The look on her face with characters is truely PRICELESS, and I have the pictures to prove it.

I just want to say how much I like all of you guys!

(Even beansmom who can be a very mean person sometimes. ;) :teeth: )

We just stopped telling people! If asked we respond with information, but just to answer "were going to WDW for our Anniversary"--never! I figure I didn't question how a person(MIL) who doesn't work and is on a limited income could afford to completely remodel her house, so her questioning me about how I can afford to go to WDW is wrong. I figure it doesn't concern anyone else until I can't make my mortgage payment. As for my MIL I'm not the one who remodeled my home, totaled my car and then came running to me to buy her a car--which I didn't --heck I have to pay for my WDW vacations! ;)

We went last year. three weeks after my hubby got laid off. His grandparents had a fit that we would have no money, he'd never get another job, and our children would be begging in the street ("and don't look to us for handouts...we're on a fixed income and have our old age to think about!" Like I ever asked them for anything!)
The airfare was already paid for and if we didn't go that would be lost; the park hoppers were also paid for. So...we swiched from Contemporary to Holiday Inn (with a kitchenette) had breakfasts in. Only did one character meal (Cindy's B-fast) Only one dinner out on Disney property (Boma-the rest of the dinners were I-hop and the other cheap stuff on 192) and had counter service lunches.
We had a great time...and guess what my husband found a job (we had to move for it, but hey...) So then we bought annual passes and did this thanksgiving (with my sister paying for part of the hotel-3 bedroom condo). Then we went again this May and now I'm hoping to get another 2 trips in before the passes expire.
Do what you feel is right and screw the nay-sayers!

Glad to know we are not the only ones who get grief.

I do think my in laws would be giving us grief no matter where we go...but they just think of WDW as TONS of money! They have no idea how much we have saved, I am sure they are thinking are plane tickets were at least $300 (there were $137.50 with tax), I am sure they are thinking we are paying big $$$$ for a hotel (we got an awesome annual pass rate)

We have not bothered on telling them how much we have saved because they will just say "don't you ever want to get a house", etc.....

I agree with Pastal, we just don't tell anyone anymore. That is why no one knows about our December trip except my mother, who TOTALLY understands Disney (she is coming with us in a few weeks)
Again we got the cheap air fare tickets of $137.50 for the December trip & depending on what codes Disney puts out will depend on where we stay.

I agree it is no business what we do with our money. DH told his mother one time after getting sick of hearing her hound us about a house "If you want us in a house so bad then build us one!" He is just as tired as I am of it.

MIL called here a few weeks ago & asked "are you guys still going to Disney?" I mean did she really think we would not go, when we already have the plane tix, annual passes, etc??
When DH told her "yes" Her response was "Oh"

I can't remember who said it but I do believe some of it is jealousy. Like I said they never took their kids anywhere growing up. DH never left the state until he joined the Army!!! Not even camping trips were taken. I feel bad for DH, growing up my family made it a point to take a vacation every year. Even if it was in the next state over doing something free like hiking, etc.
It was important to my mom & dad & I have some wonderful memories of seeing parts of the country!

To me going on vacations are a must of me. I want my son to experience other parts of the country.

Anyway we WILL have a wonderful vacation & I am sure MIL will be wondering why we didn't bring back anything for her.....guess we will just say "Got to save for a house, you know" ;) :p

I did everything possible to go on our first trip this past March. I saved for almost a year and haunted every board imaginable. Well we went, had a great time and when we got back DH got laid off. Now he's Union so that is normal but he has been out of work since. When the Courtyard showed the $20.03 deal I jumped on it. Why? cause I still have one day passes and all my pluses left and we'd drive this time. Total cost of stay $111.63 ok so that's not counting food but we can always eat offsite. Regardless we will be at WDW. My family/friends are also giving me grief about going and I try to explain that the room is paid for! tickets paid for! I'm guesstimating about $500 for this whole trip. I just shrug my shoulders, give a sly smile and say "Well we ARE going to WDW AGAIN!"
Like the New Jersey license plate holder says "Been there, Done that GOING BACK!"

I get the same kind of grief from my sister. She just says " I sure wish I could afford to go to WDW EVERY year, but I have bills to pay, blah blah blah" like I have to be throwing money away to go on vacation. I try to explain that if you start saving early, its no problem , but oh well. My MIL also freaks out a little- the first trip she knew about she was like "oh, well, won't that be a ONCE IN A LIFETIME trip" of course that was our second trip and we are planning our fourth.

My Mom and brother on the other hand have gotten hooked. I was worried about money this year and them being disappointed if we had to stay somewhere other than a deluxe (we got a great rate on the poly last year) My brother just said "gee, as long as your at WDW it really doesn't matter weher you stay. Then Mom says yeah " we could stay back at that movie place with the big BUzz and Woody" (yeah, another onsite addict) They think we are staying at ASMu this year, but DH and I are surprising them with WL.

I am proud of the fact I have made Disney converts out of half my family.

As for your 3 year old not remembering, my 3 almost 4 year old remembers and talks about it all the time! Take pictures and vidoe if you have it and you child will remember even more since they will have images to hold on to. Have a great time!

I get the same question all the time as well. Not from family, they are all WDW addicts! (Mom and Dad starting my trips when I was 3, and DBF's family loves WDW, his sis was a manager at a Disney store!) But my friends ask how can you afford to and why do you go. Well what they don't understand is there is tons of money to be saved! Plus I don't live my life like they do. I don't go out to eat (maybe once a month) and I don't go to the movies (we're still using the free PPV coupons that we got when we got digital cable!) We are perfectly content hanging out at home for a night! Plus in the summers I work extra to save. My family always made vacations a priority and I want to continue that! I've also found most people who ask me those questions have either never been to WDW and most havent even been on a family vacation!

Edited to add: I forgot to say...all my bills are paid as soon as they come in...and even though EVERYTHING goes on the credit card, it is paid as soon as it goes on! (I could pay cash, but we have milesone, so we get free airline tickets by using it!) So when we leave for Disney, out hotel, tickets and car rental are paid, and the rest goes on the CC and is paid when we get home...in full!

A few thoughts, some of which may make me rather unpopular on this thread!

Vacations are very important for family bonding and individual mental health. Even the Bible gives examples of annual festivals and feasts which were commanded by God to be practiced each year, so that people would take the time to:
--- remember God's goodness, provision & protections
--- rest from their usual burdens & routines
--- be introspective about their lives, goals & relationship with God
--- enjoy the fellowship/fun of people most important in their lives
--- together, as families, experience God's blessing.

Vacations don't have to be expensive to accomplish that. What is "expensive" depends on an individual's situation. Everything with money involves some kind of trade-off. Older people can offer counsel on these trade-offs, but the final decisions rest with the adult making the decision. That's who lives with the outcomes, both good and bad.

I wonder if the OP is not feeling insecure about this decision (two trips in one year, while raising a family in an apartment). The OP seems defensive, which would be unnecessary if truly confident that this decision were the wisest and best in this situation. Just a thought.

This is an entirely separate issue. But... mortgage interest rates right now are amazingly low. It's actually cheaper for most Americans to own a home than to rent right now. If buying a house is something that would please you, seriously look into it and don't just assume that you cannot afford it - even with vacations planned for this year. First time home buyers have it even better. With mortgage rates at or below 5%, it's most likely that they will rise in the coming years and you could regret waiting.

Perhaps this is more of what the in-laws are trying to convey. Perhaps their delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe they are too controlling or critical in other ways too. We don't know them. Perhaps the OP is insecure in this decision so that they are unable to take the good advice and ignore the rest. Most of us don't know the OP either. Parent and in-law relationships are very hard that way. JMHO. I don't know very good ways to say this so forgive me if it sounds offensive. That's not my intent at all.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your trips with your family. They are important and how you plan them is your business. :)

I work at our local school in the kitchen and also I do Parents As Teachers for the District. I take my pay for the PAT and combine it with my husbands to take care of the bills and expenses of our family of 6. And the other goes into a savings account. I saved the money for round trip tickets,rental car,5 day hopper passes, 7 days and 6 nites in HI Sunspree Resort,Meal vouchers for lunch and supper each day, and managed to buy all the souviners on line or at the disney store before we go for 2 adults and 2 children. Last year we vacationed in Canada, and we took our Tax Return $ to go there, now I know for you men, you think that is great, but spending that kind of $ to drive 20 hours straight and at the end of the drive you still have to cook and all the fun you have is fishing???Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it, but, all that $$ for fishing???Well, I know that for you out there that have family and friends telling you to spend YOUR hard earned $$$ on useful things...you just tell them that you earned the $$$ and your children and you think that you are spending $$ on useful things. Being an educator I know that children need to be exposed to different environments and all work and no play puts Jack into the grave early...You need to teach your children to have fun so later in life they know how to relax and may live a longer life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter