How can people be so mean.

My family lost our first Golden about 12 years ago. His name was Cooper, and he was absolutely one of THE BEST things to ever happen to me. I learned SO MUCH from him. My wife and I had just gotten married when we purchased Cooper from a less-than-reputable breeder. We didn’t know any better. Coop ended up having bad hip dysplasia and a bad heart. Between two hip surgeries and multiple heart episodes, Cooper spent way too many days and nights of his short 8 year life in the doggy hospital. Yet, no matter what he was going through, he never lost his “Life Is Great” attitude. After his hip surgeries he would be so beat up and sore he couldn’t move a muscle….except that tail that would be wagging a hundred miles per hour when we walked in the room. If I had half of Cooper’s strength and character I’d be a better person today.

When Cooper died a piece of me definitely went with him.

People who have never loved a dog just don’t understand. They’re not a part this. What you’re going through is best understood by someone who knows what it is like to have a dog as a real part of their life. There are a lot of us out there. I would stick with that group for now, and ignore the people who just can’t understand.

As much as it hurt when Cooper passed, I’m still SOOO THANKFUL he was MY DOG.!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. When my cat died 4 years ago, I had to take 3 days off of work because I was so sad and couldnt stop crying.

Just ignore those idiots.

My cats are my children. In my eyes, I have 4 children (only 1 being human). I love them more than life itself. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. :hug:

I'm so sorry for your loss. My dog is part of our family and would lay down his life to protect us. I would be a wreck if we lost him.

I'm so sorry. :hug:

We had to put our elderly kitty to sleep earlier this week and I've gotten nothing but love and support from family and friends.

I'm sorry your grief has been marred by idiots. :headache::mad:

:hug::hug::hug:

I know this may be too soon, but you may want to go out and get another GR, that usually helps people get over the loss easier, you have something new to focus on. Or if you don't want another GR, another breed.

Whether it's a golden or a mutt or a cat or whatever, they are family. Those insensitive people have never known that kind of unconditional love of a pet and I pity them. For they have missed out on one of God's true blessings in life.

:grouphug:My heart goes out to you, OP. Don't be ashamed of your tears.:sad1:

Yesterday I lost me golden retriever, Buster. I had that dog for 11 years and I am overwhelmed with grief right now.:sad2::sad2: I can't seem to stop crying and I'm a blubbering mess.
Why on earth do people feel the need to say "It was just a dog"
I swear I feel like I'm gonna snap.

I'm sorry for your loss. It took me a long time to stop crying over losing my dog last May. I'm not completely over it yet and continue to grieve when I see his picture.

My dad is one of those people you talk about. I don't know what it is about him, but he just doesn't put value in an animal, even if it's a pet.

Why can't people just say, "I'm sorry for your loss" and be done with it? Is it so bad to say that? Some people need to learn empathy.

I am so very sorry for your loss :hug: ...

Anyone who does not understand your grief is a total heartless idiot ...

Not everyone has the desire or ability to bond that closely with an animal. Some people look after their animals very well and give them affection, but don't love them so deeply that their loss would bring them to tears. My DH is like that, and he explained it to me one day. When he was a child he had a beloved dog and they did everything together. When he lost that dog he was devastated, and vowed he'd never get so attached to an animal again, and he hasn't. The trouble with dogs and cats is that they have significantly shorter life spans than we do, so you are guaranteed to lose many pets over your lifetime. Not everyone can deal with going through that every few years, and therefore, whether consciously or unconsciously, they don't get that attached. I do understand that. I am also a cat person - I don't get attached to dogs the same way I do to cats.

However, all that being said, most people should at least know (even if they don't fully understand) that people get attached to their pets, and a little compassion is what is called for.

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just a few weeks ago I had to let my 14 yo Golden Retriever girl go, so I know. It was a horrid decision to make. The thing that is saving me now is that I realize she was in more pain that I admitted (bad back end, she could barely get up by herself) and I truly did not want her to suffer. The house seems empty without her.

I hope whoever has told you that "it was just a dog" develops some empathy.
And don't let it get to you. Some people don't value their pets like we do (and that's ok, we're all different!) but take peace in knowing you had a special dog.

When I was 11 my Rottie puppy managed to leave the yard and was hit by a car all while I was at school. I was absolutely heartbroken but I felt even worse when my family brushed it off. One of my cousins (18 y/o) in particular made fun of me for mourning my dog. This cousin had always picked on me but the family never did anything about it. (No one believed me when I tried telling my family about her treatment of me, but they all found out the hard way how cruel and selfish she really was much much later, but that's another story). Ten years later and I still tear up thinking about my dog, Rocket.
Honestly, why are people that cruel??

And I don't know you exactly, but I can tell from your deep grief that Buster was probably the most loved golden retriever in Tennessee.
I'm very sorry for your loss, and I totally empathize with you. I hope you feel better.

I agree with other posters. Anyone who would say that to you is not worth your attention. I lost my golden almost two years ago and I am still grieving his loss. He was my best buddy.

OP, my heart goes out to you! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter