How can I make the best Disneyland experience

56srogers

Earning My Ears
My family and I have always vacationed in WDW. We will be on the west coast in late May. I want to have fun and not be disapointed.

I've never been to WDW so I'm not sure how it compares.

I would say if you are wanting fun and no disappointments, go with an open mind. Try not to do comparisons.

Look for the small touches of magic. Take joy in your surroundings.

Check out some youtube videos of rides that you want to ride. Think about places you want to eat at.

Take each day as it comes and don't dwell on anything that could go wrong or isn't what you were expecting.

Lol hope that helps! I am so wishing I was at Disneyland, I love the place :) Just wish it wasn't so far from Australia!

Funny, I have only been to WDW and planning my first DL trip and I was going to give the exact same advice...

Why start your vacation expecting you might be disappointed? :confused3 Arrive with an open mind and knowing it won't be the same, different doesn't mean bad. For me, I am excited to see the differences and really stop to remember that this is Walt's park. Sure, you will find some things you think are better in Florida but I bet you will find others that you like better in California but I wouldn't focus on the comparisons, appreciate where you are and enjoy the opportunity!

I think you can have a good time :-). I have been to WDW 4 times and DL once. Our most recent trip was WDW last month and I found that I missed DL a little! Their is definitely the nostalgia with it being Walt's park.

We did go to DL at a slightly slower time (last week of April/beginning of May 2013). I ordered the Birnbaum's guide for DL and did lots of reading. We didn't feel rushed like we do at WDW. We got to see everything we wanted and my daughters met tons of characters (which is one of their favorite things). My girls are younger, so we did not do some of the bigger rides (like the mountains) so I can't comment on their wait times.
Taking the shuttle from our offsite hotel was easy and not a very long ride. We did not park hop but it was nice to see everything closer together. We could walk to Downtown Disney easily from the parks.
Weekends, especially Friday night were busy (probably mostly due to APs) but the weekdays were nice.

My mom went with us and she had the same concerns about being disappointed with DL. After our WDW trip last month, I asked her what she thought and she actually said she may like DL a little better! Like I said we travelled with younger children and at a slower time so that may just be our experience :-)

I'm in the same boat. I've been to WDW many times over the past few years but I got a Reservation at the Grand Californian the end of May.
Super excited, I have not been to Disneyland in 25 years. I am excited to seem both the changes and the things I might remember. Looking forward to CarsLand, etc.

I've got the planning bug, but I don't know what to do. You almost have to plan everything in advance at WDW, but DL seems so loosey goosey in comparison. Going to be there 7 nights, should I splurge for an annual passes or just make due with a 5 day day pass? My daughter does want to go to the beach while we are there. The time difference might make it hard to make the night shows, also not up for sitting around for hours waiting. That is a nogo with my daughter. If I can only make one show should we do Fantasmic or WOC?

Also, taking some friends with us for a few of the days. Advice from veterans would be welcome:)

I think you can have a good time :-). I have been to WDW 4 times and DL once. Our most recent trip was WDW last month and I found that I missed DL a little! Their is definitely the nostalgia with it being Walt's park.

We did go to DL at a slightly slower time (last week of April/beginning of May 2013). I ordered the Birnbaum's guide for DL and did lots of reading. We didn't feel rushed like we do at WDW. We got to see everything we wanted and my daughters met tons of characters (which is one of their favorite things). My girls are younger, so we did not do some of the bigger rides (like the mountains) so I can't comment on their wait times.
Taking the shuttle from our offsite hotel was easy and not a very long ride. We did not park hop but it was nice to see everything closer together. We could walk to Downtown Disney easily from the parks.
Weekends, especially Friday night were busy (probably mostly due to APs) but the weekdays were nice.

My mom went with us and she had the same concerns about being disappointed with DL. After our WDW trip last month, I asked her what she thought and she actually said she may like DL a little better! Like I said we travelled with younger children and at a slower time so that may just be our experience :-)

sounds like a vote for the annual passes:)

More data please. :)

How many are in your party? What are their ages? What sorts of rides do you usually like going on? Does anyone in your group have special needs (food allergies, medical conditions that limit mobility, or disabilities such as autism) to consider? Also, what dates are you planning on being there and for how long?

Here are some random suggestions to consider in no particular order:
  • If you want to see a parade, a great place to sit with an actual seat is next to the Alice in Wonderland bathrooms (the bathroom stalls have playing cards on the doors).
  • To minimize time spent in long standby lines, buy a subscription to Ridemax. I found for us personally that it worked better than the Touring Plans app.
  • Advance dining reservations usually start 60 days prior to your visit.
  • Eating lunch or dinner at the Blue Bayou inside POTC ride is something that everybody should do once in their lifetime. if you want the Monte Cristo sandwich, go at lunchtime.
  • If you don't stay on site at one of the 3 DL resort hotels, that's ok because there are several less expensive alternatives which are all within easy walking distance of the park entrance.
  • You should seriously consider getting park hoppers. To park hop, all you have to do is walk across the esplanade. You don't even go through the security/bag check a 2nd time. It's very convenient.

You can definitely plan the heck out of a DL trip. Just ask my DH because that is exactly what I did in preparation for our DL visit last year. We had a fabulous time. One important thing to remember is that there are no magic bands yet at DL and no FP+ system, just the "old" FP system.

Weekends will definitely be more crowded because you'll likely have lots of southern CA locals making day trips to DL. I've heard that Friday evenings can also be a bit busy because these days AP holders will go to DL after work for a couple of rides.

If you had to pick 1 nighttime show to see while you are there, try out WOC since it's unique to DL. Everybody stands up for it, just as a heads up. You can get WOC FP's. Or you can do a lunch or dinner WOC package (which includes a FP). Or watch it regularly old stand-by is an option, too.

Fantasmic has a dessert package ($60/person & if you want to do the dessert package call earlier in the 60-day ADR window) available. Most people start staking out a spot a couple of hours ahead of the show, which is why we haven't seen Fantasmic yet.

CaoilinnsMom are you going to have access to a car to get to the beach and have you figured out yet if the water is going to be warm enough to want to actually go swimming? I would find out about the water temp for that time of year before making the decision. That would be a hard call for me because I love the ocean but I love the parks as well. My dh and I are going to end of April and I am hoping to go to Huntington Beach on our arrival day as our ap's are blocked. I don't have great hopes of it being warm though. Anyways, you would always buy the 5 day park hoppers and then upgrade to the annual pass if you wanted to once there. If you get the ap's will you be able to come back for another trip before they expire?

I think with 5-7 days you will love Disneyland and the flexibility it offers. WDW scares me because of how much planning I hear you have to do. I love that when I am hungry I can eat without reservations, when I am tired I can be back to a hotel in 10-20 minutes and when I want to park hop it only takes a few minutes.

Haha I had the same thoughts coming from LA and going to WDW for the first time. I found planning a WDW trip so overwhelming. DL is so relaxed, easy, and laid back in comparisons. Get there early each day, get some FPs and go with the flow. Everything is literally so close that you don't need to plan very much.

There is a great thread by HydroGuy just for WDW vets who are planning a first

I agree with the other posters. People here will give you lots of great advice but knowing the demographics of your party (especially ages of kids and what the priorities are in terms of rides and shows), how many days you'll be there for, and where you're staying will help people give more specific advice.

WoC runs every night and Fantasmic will probably only be there on weekends while you are there so if you want to see both shows go to Fantasmic on the weekend and do WoC on a weeknight. Easy Peasy. There are some great threads by Hydroguy that explains strategies for both shows. Look them up if you haven't seen them yet.

My family and I have always vacationed in WDW. We will be on the west coast in late May. I want to have fun and not be disapointed.

Can you expand a little bit on what you're expecting that could possibly lead to disappointment? It's really hard for some of us to imagine how one could fail to have fun on a trip to DL.

Although this advice may fall on deaf ears, I strongly suggest NOT over-planning. The only times I've ever been disappointed is when a plan I'd invested a lot of time and mental energy into (and emotionally bonded with, if you will) became impossible to execute. And the really ridiculous part of that is that while one is busy being upset about what they're NOT doing, they fail to take any joy in what they ARE doing. Stay in the moment. Honestly, DLR is so different from WDW in that a multi-day trip will allow you to do everything and anything you want over the course of your visit if you just stay a little flexible. Best of luck! pixiedust:

PS. Oh, and DEFINITELY see WOC - there's nothing else like it anywhere!

If you go expecting to be disappointed, you may well be.

But.. you go expecting that you are going to DISNEY:cool1:pixiedust:, that you are going to be happy and have fun then you are going to have a blast.

DL and DLC are two great parks to see, do and experience. There are rides that are the same and there are rides that are different. Each of the Disney parks are slightly different from their sister parks, and that is what makes each of them unique and wonderful.

I love going to the parks on both sides of the country, and have a blast every time I go.

EDIT: Just saw that you will be there for 7 days ... you'll have no problem getting much of what DLR has to offer.

I have been to WDW well over 10 times, and I just went to Disneyland for my first time 3 weeks ago (I have been once per week ever since ... so 3 times total).

First, I would take kschafer's advice to just go in with an excited, open mind. Don't expect it to be the same as WDW. I think that's a good thing. You're going to be able to experience two entirely new parks!

I was very, very impressed with DCA. I did not expect that park to wow me as much as it did. It's a great counterbalance to DL because it's more spread out and typically much less crowded. Also, their fastpass systems aren't linked, so you can get a fastpass at DL, hop to DCA, get another fastpass. I would get the hopper to take advantage of the non-linked fastpasses and so you can escape DL for DCA when you want to get out of all the crowds in DL.

IMHO, the mainstreet in DL is more detailed and immersive than mainstreet at MK. Both of them are awesome, but I just love how the DL is a wee bit more authentic feeling (especially at night). Take advantage of that by just enjoying your surroundings instead of running into the parks to hit all the E-tickets.

Speaking of attractions, Pirates of the Caribbean, alone, will be enough to give you the best Disneyland experience. I went on it for my first time last night ... holy heck, that ride was unreal! Plan out your attractions intelligently. If you're only going for a day or two, make sure you're smart about how you use fastpasses. I would head to DCA first thing, get a FP for RSR; then go to DL and get a FP for Space Mountain (or whatever attraction you really want to ride that gets long lines in the evenings); then hit another E-ticket at DL while the lines are still short. Take advantage of single rider lines if that works out for your party. They are typically about 1/4 - 1/3 the wait time of the regular line.

Speaking of lines, you should pick up the DLR Lines app and the Mousewait app for your phone or other mobile device. They will give wait times for all the attractions, restaurants, and so forth. They also provide show times, menus, maps, and other helpful information. That app has saved us so much time when we're at the parks. You can really strategize where to go when. The Lines app gives real wait times in addition to the posted wait time. Typically the real wait time is much less than what they post. Also, they give the single rider wait time, which is not posted (at least I haven't found it).

Lastly, I want to talk about dining. The counter service offerings at DL are much better than at WDW, so don't worry about having to make a reservation for each meal at a table service restaurant (unless if you really like table service). At WDW, I felt that I needed to have at least two meals per day at a TS restaurant because the CS food was so bad. At DL, I could go several days with not TS because there are great food offerings in the parks and in DTD.

THIS IS AN AWESOME POST!!!! :thumbsup2

EDIT: Just saw that you will be there for 7 days ... you'll have no problem getting much of what DLR has to offer.

I have been to WDW well over 10 times, and I just went to Disneyland for my first time 3 weeks ago (I have been once per week ever since ... so 3 times total).

First, I would take kschafer's advice to just go in with an excited, open mind. Don't expect it to be the same as WDW. I think that's a good thing. You're going to be able to experience two entirely new parks!

I was very, very impressed with DCA. I did not expect that park to wow me as much as it did. It's a great counterbalance to DL because it's more spread out and typically much less crowded. Also, their fastpass systems aren't linked, so you can get a fastpass at DL, hop to DCA, get another fastpass. I would get the hopper to take advantage of the non-linked fastpasses and so you can escape DL for DCA when you want to get out of all the crowds in DL.

IMHO, the mainstreet in DL is more detailed and immersive than mainstreet at MK. Both of them are awesome, but I just love how the DL is a wee bit more authentic feeling (especially at night). Take advantage of that by just enjoying your surroundings instead of running into the parks to hit all the E-tickets.

Speaking of attractions, Pirates of the Caribbean, alone, will be enough to give you the best Disneyland experience. I went on it for my first time last night ... holy heck, that ride was unreal! Plan out your attractions intelligently. If you're only going for a day or two, make sure you're smart about how you use fastpasses. I would head to DCA first thing, get a FP for RSR; then go to DL and get a FP for Space Mountain (or whatever attraction you really want to ride that gets long lines in the evenings); then hit another E-ticket at DL while the lines are still short. Take advantage of single rider lines if that works out for your party. They are typically about 1/4 - 1/3 the wait time of the regular line.

Speaking of lines, you should pick up the DLR Lines app and the Mousewait app for your phone or other mobile device. They will give wait times for all the attractions, restaurants, and so forth. They also provide show times, menus, maps, and other helpful information. That app has saved us so much time when we're at the parks. You can really strategize where to go when. The Lines app gives real wait times in addition to the posted wait time. Typically the real wait time is much less than what they post. Also, they give the single rider wait time, which is not posted (at least I haven't found it).

Lastly, I want to talk about dining. The counter service offerings at DL are much better than at WDW, so don't worry about having to make a reservation for each meal at a table service restaurant (unless if you really like table service). At WDW, I felt that I needed to have at least two meals per day at a TS restaurant because the CS food was so bad. At DL, I could go several days with not TS because there are great food offerings in the parks and in DTD.

I am so glad you had a FAB time at DL, nukephd!!! :cool1:

Fantasmic has a dessert package ($60/person & if you want to do the dessert package call earlier in the 60-day ADR window) available. Most people start staking out a spot a couple of hours ahead of the show, which is why we haven't seen Fantasmic yet.

Fantasmic dessert package can be booked 30 days out. Regular reservations can be made 60 days out but F! is only 30.

Why I love Disneyland. We're going on Wednesday. Yesterday we decided it would be great to see Fantasmic at the dessert party on Friday the 11th. Called and got a reservation for 5 people no problem. And you can even stay and watch the fireworks after. Try doing that six days out at WDW :)

Fantasmic dessert package can be booked 30 days out. Regular reservations can be made 60 days out but F! is only 30.

And for some reason, these number of days is what Disney says but the reality is it is two months for dining and one month for F!

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter