How can I make sure I get a larger minivan (Grand Caravan or similar)?

Disneyfriend

DIS Veteran
Last trip we reserved a minivan through Dollar and were surprised to get hit with a surcharge for the Grand Caravan (even though I'm a long time member of their frequent renter program). I successfully argued against paying the premium, but I'd rather not go through that unpleasantness again.

We're now a family of 6 and will be travelling with lots of luggage, strollers, etc., so really need something more than the regular Caravan. I'd prefer to rent from one of the on-site rental companies if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Disneyfriend

Yes you definitely need something larger than a caravan, but another option would be (if you are staying on property), is to have several of your folks take DME and have the luggage shipped to your resort. Then the driver and some of the little folks take the minivan. This would work and the minivan will provide the room you need for your group during your vacation. (Just a thought).

Try the Toyota Sienna 8 seater. The last row seats are 60 - 40 and either section fold down allowing you to seat 7 and have extra room for luggage

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, we actually own a Sienna and love it! I would love to rent one while at WDW . . . but I don't know which rental company regularly provides Siennas or Grand Caravans.

Thanks again!

Disneyfriend

Oh, and the Magical Express idea is a great one, too, but we are staying at Shades of Green.

Disneyfriend

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, we actually own a Sienna and love it! I would love to rent one while at WDW . . . but I don't know which rental company regularly provides Siennas or Grand Caravans.

National rents Siennas but it must be specifically reserved (as an 8-passenger vehicle). If you just specify minivan you will not be able to get a Sienna.

1. Reserve what you need. If you only see "minivan" as an option then assume its not the larger one you want. You might call and see if they have one you can reserve (sometimes they aren't on line)

2. Plan to pay... being a "long time member" gets you nada with the rental car companies. Being a "frequent" renter might normally get you an upgrade but that only applies to cars not speciality vehicles like mini vans. You got lucky last time, don't keep counting on luck.

Both Alamo and National have the Sienna in most of the Orlando locations. I would recommend booking well in advance as there are limited numbers, especially during busy periods.

1. Reserve what you need. If you only see "minivan" as an option then assume its not the larger one you want. You might call and see if they have one you can reserve (sometimes they aren't on line)

2. Plan to pay... being a "long time member" gets you nada with the rental car companies. Being a "frequent" renter might normally get you an upgrade but that only applies to cars not speciality vehicles like mini vans. You got lucky last time, don't keep counting on luck.

Thanks for your reply, Carol. I hope I didn't come across as one of those people who always tries to "get something for nothing". The incident at MCO last trip took me aback because I've rented from Dollar in numerous other locations (for instance, Hawaii and Phoenix) and always automatically gotten a Grand Caravan (or equivalent) without a surcharge.

I felt more than a bit surprised, then, to show up at the MCO Dollar counter with my reservation in hand . . . with a confirmation that mentioned nothing about a surcharge or a smaller minivan . . . and get told that I would have to pay a premium for the larger minivan. I felt that it was almost a "bait and switch" situation, frankly.

Disneyfriend

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter