How can I find a Maui condo that isn't $4K/wk?

mermaidwannabe

DIS Veteran
I'm getting airfare for a "good deal" through Alaska Air and their companion fares, but looking for a condo for a family of 5 through vrbo.com is crazy! I usually love planning vacations, but after looking for a week for the perfect condo, I am stuck...well I did find some but with hotel tax and cleaning fees, it's $4,000 for 7-8 nights. Yikes! This makes Disney seem cheap to me!! BUT, we've been talking about going to Hawaii for years, and next June is when we are going.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I want to be in the West side but only since I've read that it's less windy and has better swimming beaches and snorkelling which is pretty much what we want to do 90% of the time. So many condos don't have good swimming beaches. I've never been to Maui, but from what I've read, that's the place we should go if we are looking for swimming, snorkelling, first trips to Hawaii (I've been to Kona and Oahu, but my family have never been). Oh, and my girls want to surf and they are big time beginners.

Accept that Maui is expensive? Just need some advice. :)

Thanks!

Have you tried adding hotel/condo through Alaska Air? My experience with Hawaii is that it is usually much cheaper to book a package than to buy air alone. Look for air/condo/car packages and see if you get a better price. My brother has a house on the Big Island and one year he gave us a week there. It was actually cheaper for us to add 3 days onto our trip with an included 3-day hotel stay at the Hilton and a car than just to book air alone for a week.

The other thing is that Hawaii has a max of 4 people per room in hotels and some condos. We are a family of 5 and had a lot of trouble booking a hotel because of that.

We found a terrific price a few years ago through Costco, so you might try them as well.

ETA: You might take a look at airbnb.com. I've rented through them many times and have been extremely happy.

and found many properties that would fit 5. We stayed in a 1 BR + Den at Honua Kai nice resort north of Kaanapali. We stayed 6 nights in Maui and spent half of your budgeted amount.

Is there a certain area etc.? I'd be happy to send you my ideas [I have bookmarked many...] I was hugely active on the Maui tripadvisor forum and got many ideas there....you might want to check it out also.

and found many properties that would fit 5. We stayed in a 1 BR + Den at Honua Kai nice resort north of Kaanapali. We stayed 6 nights in Maui and spent half of your budgeted amount.

Is there a certain area etc.? I'd be happy to send you my ideas [I have bookmarked many...] I was hugely active on the Maui tripadvisor forum and got many ideas there....you might want to check it out also.

That's so funny I just called the Honua Kai, but they couldn't guarantee that I would get a room with a King and two twins. I could end up with a King and a sofabed which would not work for us at all! I love Napili Bay just anything with a nice beach and snorkelling nearby. Napili Point looks great but with a 5 min walk to a beach which honestly might really bum my family out so I'll have to see. Someone on TA suggested Aston Mahana with a vrbo link to a condo that looked really nice too. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Have you tried adding hotel/condo through Alaska Air? My experience with Hawaii is that it is usually much cheaper to book a package than to buy air alone. Look for air/condo/car packages and see if you get a better price. My brother has a house on the Big Island and one year he gave us a week there. It was actually cheaper for us to add 3 days onto our trip with an included 3-day hotel stay at the Hilton and a car than just to book air alone for a week.

The other thing is that Hawaii has a max of 4 people per room in hotels and some condos. We are a family of 5 and had a lot of trouble booking a hotel because of that.

We found a terrific price a few years ago through Costco, so you might try them as well.

ETA: You might take a look at airbnb.com. I've rented through them many times and have been extremely happy.

Oh woops, I posted on TA part of my answer to you. I have companion fare tickets for 2 of us and possibly a free ticket for the 5th person but will take a look at the packages, thanks!

We actually prefer South Maui because the weather is the best on the island.

In Wailea, look at a 2 bedroom at Ekahi through Destination Resorts (beach front but not ocean view). In South Kinei, look at Aston at the Maui Banyan and Maui Hill through Aston. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom with ocean view ( although across from the beach) for under your budget.

As a disclaimer, we bought a condo at Maui Banyan because we like the area so much. Aston is our management company.

-- Suzanne

We actually prefer South Maui because the weather is the best on the island.

In Wailea, look at a 2 bedroom at Ekahi through Destination Resorts (beach front but not ocean view). In South Kinei, look at Aston at the Maui Banyan and Maui Hill through Aston. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom with ocean view ( although across from the beach) for under your budget.

As a disclaimer, we bought a condo at Maui Banyan because we like the area so much. Aston is our management company.

-- Suzanne

Thank you I'll check those out! Is South Maui less windy than West Maui? Not sure why I got started on West Maui - maybe it was my research for good swimming and snorkeling but do I have that wrong?

Thank you I'll check those out! Is South Maui less windy than West Maui? Not sure why I got started on West Maui - maybe it was my research for good swimming and snorkeling but do I have that wrong?

In general, the driest weather is in South Kihei, Wailea and Makena, in the South, and Lahaina in the north. As you move north from Lahaina, it gets wetter and windier. North Kihei has nice beaches but it's windier and the water is not good for snorkeling.

Great beaches in Maui with off shore snorkeling include Kamaole 1, 2 and 3, Keawakapu, Ulua, Polo and Makena. Big Beach further south is amazing but the surf is very rough.

I hope that helps. -- Suzanne

In general, the driest weather is in South Kihei, Wailea and Makena, in the South, and Lahaina in the north. As you move north from Lahaina, it gets wetter and windier. North Kihei has nice beaches but it's windier and the water is not good for snorkeling.

Great beaches in Maui with off shore snorkeling include Kamaole 1, 2 and 3, Keawakapu, Ulua, Polo and Makena. Big Beach further south is amazing but the surf is very rough.

I hope that helps. -- Suzanne

Thank you, that helps a lot. I'm looking at a place that is very reasonable (in hawaii standards ha ha!) in Napili so hopefully the weather there is okay...that's technically Lahaina I think.

Honua Kai...vrbo is the way to go. You can pick the unit, the view, the bed arrangements, and save a lot of money. Actually, I would recommend vrbo for any Condo resort.

Tugs, redweek, etc....when you are a family of 5 you really don't get great deals this way as most studios and 1 bedrooms are priced well but only allow 4. 2 Bedrooms are typically expensive through these sites [my experience] but worth a try.

I believe it depends on time of year as to which side...when are you going again?

If you do South Maui, Ekahi village looks very nice [but no hot tubs if that matters]. I have an awesome unit bookmarked there [great layout for 3 kids] but depends on time of year as to affordability.

If you are doing a lot of sightseeing, Napali is quite a hike. We loved spending a day exploring, SUPing and enjoying the beach there.

Trish

Worked out to be a great deal!

And car rental...discounthawaiicarrental book NOW and then keep checking in case it goes down. They had the best rates [better than Costco, etc.] and you don't need to give a credit card.

Trish

Thank you TnTWalter! I ended up booking 7 nights through vrbo at Napili Point because of the price and now need to find 3 nights somewhere. For the price, we may stay in a different unit at Napili Point, but I would rather go to a different part of the island. Some on TA suggested South Maui - I'm just having a hard time finding any that will do 3 nights for less than $450-$500. Thanks for the advice on car rental. I just started looking at those and Alamo and National both seem to be around $500 yikes. I'll check that other site.

Good point about Napili being far from everything - really think I should try to find something further south. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter