how can hotels do this LV (probably because they can...)

I don't disagree that some expenses are there regardless. However, I would have to imagine, an empty room costs the hotel less than a room booked at 75% off. An empty room doesn't take showers, run the A/C, watch TV, have to have the bedding changed etc. And not all hotels have restaurants & room service.

There is a breakeven point for profit based on the number of rooms sold and the ADR (avg daily rate). Once you past that point, it becomes profit.

So there are times where a 75% off room is a profit that you will take.

Heck tonight, right before I left the hotel, we opened up some rooms at 40% off our BAR (best available rate). Basically I was fine for the night and anything I took, moving forward for the night was just that much more profit.

I would take pretty much anything for the rest of the rooms I had because it was better then having those rooms sitting empty in the morning.

We make over 75% profit on our rooms (on average). Now that is just your rooms. After you factor in everything else, you still walk away with a very nice profit, but nothing close to that number :)

Maxing room revenue in hotels is a science and most hotels will have people on site (or in their corp office) who's only job is to max revenue. Heck to hold my certification with my hotel brand, I have to pass annual tests on revmax.

I don't know what hotel the OP is referring to, but we were just in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and stayed at the Aria. While Wi-Fi is "free" this was for the minimum bandwidth. If you wanted something faster than it was an extra fee.

I just made our hotel ressies for Las Vegas--

I didnt do a package--I found better deals doing everything separte

so for the hotel it says free WI_FI just as an example

but then it goes to say about a resort fee for newspaper, phone calls and WIFI!!!

well they just said free WIFI

its not free if its rolled into a resort fee

Im going to try to get the fee waived (I know that will be impossible)

since we're not going to use anything the fee is for

just wondering how hotels can say something is free but then roll it into a resort fee

thanks

Sometimes you can get the resort fee waived. Probably not in LV, but it is possible at times.

A few years ago I stayed in a basic Motel 6 type place in Pennsylvania in March. There was snow on the ground, and it was a weekend. They told me that I had to pay a $10 per night resort fee, and when I asked what I get for my resort fee, they told me: "free local phone calls, use of the hotel pool and free newspaper". LMAO. I looked at the lady and I said "I have a cell phone so I don't need a room phone at all, the hotel pool is an OUTDOOR pool and there's snow on the ground and the pool is closed for the season, and your free paper is USA today, which doesn't come on the weeeknd. Tell me again why I am paying an extra $10 a night for these amenities that you aren't even giving me??" :rotfl2: and they waived it.

when I asked what I get for my resort fee, they told me: "free local phone calls, use of the hotel pool and free newspaper".

Gotta love it. Pay us $10 and we'll give you a FREE newspaper, FREE phone calls, and FREE use of the hotel pool. What a deal.

Somebody needs to explain the definition of FREE to these folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter