how can hotels do this LV (probably because they can...)

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I just made our hotel ressies for Las Vegas--

I didnt do a package--I found better deals doing everything separte

so for the hotel it says free WI_FI just as an example

but then it goes to say about a resort fee for newspaper, phone calls and WIFI!!!

well they just said free WIFI

its not free if its rolled into a resort fee

Im going to try to get the fee waived (I know that will be impossible)

since we're not going to use anything the fee is for

just wondering how hotels can say something is free but then roll it into a resort fee

thanks

I just made our hotel ressies for Las Vegas-- I didnt do a package--I found better deals doing everything separte so for the hotel it says free WI_FI just as an example but then it goes to say about a resort fee for newspaper, phone calls and WIFI!!! well they just said free WIFI its not free if its rolled into a resort fee Im going to try to get the fee waived (I know that will be impossible) since we're not going to use anything the fee is for just wondering how hotels can say something is free but then roll it into a resort fee thanks

Why did Disney double the number of Dumbo rides? Questions for the ages

just wondering how hotels can say something is free but then roll it into a resort fee

When you really think about it, NOTHING at any hotel is actually free because you are paying to stay there. All of those "free' things like wifi or breakfast are somehow accounted for in the room charge. "Free" is a very misused term in marketing.

Basically, if I had to pay any money, nothing I got in return can truly be called free. Unless there is no purchase necessary to get something, it isn't free. The hotel breakfast isn't free unless I could walk in off the street and eat it even if I'm not staying at the hotel.

Why did Disney double the number of Dumbo rides? Questions for the ages
Disney mgt, after an all-night session about the guest benefits of FP+, decided they liked the sound of "Disney Double Dumbo." Say it 3 times fast after F&W beer flights.

Many hotels at popular tourist destinations charge a resort fee. Some are better than others at disclosing this where you will notice before booking. Good luck getting it waived; very unlikely. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually use any of the amenities covered by the fee.

I just made our hotel ressies for Las Vegas--

I didnt do a package--I found better deals doing everything separte

so for the hotel it says free WI_FI just as an example

but then it goes to say about a resort fee for newspaper, phone calls and WIFI!!!

well they just said free WIFI

its not free if its rolled into a resort fee

Im going to try to get the fee waived (I know that will be impossible)

since we're not going to use anything the fee is for

thanks

Las Vegas is notorious for charging resort fees. I can't remember not paying them at any of the hotels I've been to. :sad2: There are properties that don't charge fees but they're also the hotels you wouldn't want to stay at.

The nicer hotels usually offer good room rate deals to help offset the cost of the resort fee, though.

Yes, we've been going to vegas every year for the past 6 years, and I don't remember ever not paying the resort fee. It does annoy me every time, just roll it up into the nightly rate:confused3

Here is the deal... you can't get a true picture of what you are paying. I HATE that. You know how they changed the law to require airlines to show customers the TRUE price after taxes and fees rather than just the fare?? That NEEDS to happen NOW for hotels and resorts. Sometimes the charges end up being 35% MORE than what it looks like you are being quoted. It is maddening.

Not just LV. Many hotels in the Orlando area charge resort fees. Some aren't really resorts. Maingate Lakeside charges a $10 resort fee. Room rates are in the $40-$50 range.

An increasing number of offsite hotels (the majority?) charge extra. Some charge a resort fee, some charge for parking and some charge for resort shuttles. People need to do their homework.

Makes it harder to use PL.

When you really think about it, NOTHING at any hotel is actually free because you are paying to stay there. All of those "free' things like wifi or breakfast are somehow accounted for in the room charge. "Free" is a very misused term in marketing.

Basically, if I had to pay any money, nothing I got in return can truly be called free. Unless there is no purchase necessary to get something, it isn't free. The hotel breakfast isn't free unless I could walk in off the street and eat it even if I'm not staying at the hotel.

The most important economic concept that few understand.

It may be at no marginal cost, but it sure isn't free.

Here is the deal... you can't get a true picture of what you are paying. I HATE that.

I agree. I wish they would just tell me the total price upfront. Don't advertise a teaser rate that doesn't include the 13% hotel tax and the $15/day resort fee. Tell me how much it is actually going to cost me to stay there, and what that price includes.

The one thing that always amuses/baffles me is how the lower end hotels can include breakfast, wifi, and other amenities when the higher end hotels have to charge extra for those things. How come I can pay $99 at Fairfield Inn and have a nice breakfast and wifi but at the Marriott, I pay $199 and have to buy breakfast and pay an extra $12/day for wifi?

I agree. I wish they would just tell me the total price upfront. Don't advertise a teaser rate that doesn't include the 13% hotel tax and the $15/day resort fee. Tell me how much it is actually going to cost me to stay there, and what that price includes.

The one thing that always amuses/baffles me is how the lower end hotels can include breakfast, wifi, and other amenities when the higher end hotels have to charge extra for those things. How come I can pay $99 at Fairfield Inn and have a nice breakfast and wifi but at the Marriott, I pay $199 and have to buy breakfast and pay an extra $12/day for wifi?

Because the higher end hotels know they will have a lot of business guests who will get the wifi and expense it.

Because the higher end hotels know they will have a lot of business guests who will get the wifi and expense it.

THIS. I worked in the hotel industry at a business hotel which is one of many categories. Luxury, Business , Extended Stay - all have different consumers and therefore different amenities including what is included and what is tacked on.

Most full service hotels will charge for everything including WiFi and breakfast. You can wager 75% or more are business guests that the company just pays for so it does not matter , however for the tourist or casual guest this can add up quick and take away any value they were seeking.

You can still get deals but ALWAYS check the hotels you are interested in their website directly first to understand what is and what is not included in a typical stay.

And Vegas is like Orlando , Anaheim , etc - most will have resort fees and parking charges. Accounting for everything beforehand and being educated about where you are staying is your best option.

Just FYI, but the three DL resorts used to charge a resort fee for just those amenities, but now they are calling it a parking fee. Still costs the same, but sounds better I guess.

Hotel GM here.

The free wifi might have been offered as part of a package and when the op went a la carte, the offer comes off the table.

Also there are times when if you buy from a 3rd party (travel agent, booking com, hotel.com etc) some amenities the hotel offers comes off the table vs if you bought the room/package from the hotel directly.

3rd party bookings cost the hotel money, so they will remove some services to off set the loss of revenue from it.

I remember staying at a hotel in Kississimmee and they charged a fee to use the in room safe. When I checked in, I signed that I didn't want the in room safe, or be charged for it either. No problem. I just used the front desk safe. (which I feel is more secure anyway).

If the hotels lose on third party room bookings they shouldn't sell them blocks of rooms. On the other hand, if they didn't sell them blocks of rooms they may have a lot of empty rooms. I have booked rooms both ways.

If the hotels lose on third party room bookings they shouldn't sell them blocks of rooms. On the other hand, if they didn't sell them blocks of rooms they may have a lot of empty rooms. I have booked rooms both ways.

But does an empty room cost money?

But does an empty room cost money?

Sure. The hotel has expenses to pay: electric, gas, water, housekeeping, etc. If they don't fill the rooms, they still have to pay most of those expenses. It's better to fill the room at 75% of the full rate than for it to sit vacant. Also, putting guests in that room add to ancillary revenue: onsite restaurant, room service, vending machines, etc.

Sure. The hotel has expenses to pay: electric, gas, water, housekeeping, etc. If they don't fill the rooms, they still have to pay most of those expenses. It's better to fill the room at 75% of the full rate than for it to sit vacant.
I don't disagree that some expenses are there regardless. However, I would have to imagine, an empty room costs the hotel less than a room booked at 75% off. An empty room doesn't take showers, run the A/C, watch TV, have to have the bedding changed etc. And not all hotels have restaurants & room service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter