How busy is WDW during May?

sherbetdibdab

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone
Am hoping you folks can help me with a question. I am considering going to WDW for my 40th Birthday, which is at the end of May. I am wondering how busy the park will be at this time of year?

We usually go in September so we are used to the crowds being relatively low. I am worried if it's really hectic in the parks it will spoil my enjoyment as we like to take it pretty easy (we are not the run from one ride to another type and we also don't like queueing!).

So, should I spend my birthday in WDW in May, or celebrate here at home and visit that September instead?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Katy

The week BEFORE Memorial Day is supposed to be one of the BEST times to Visit WDW!

http://http://**************.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/best-and-worst-times-to-visit/

I've gone in late May several years ago & mid-May this year. Neither were bad but avoid Memorial weekend. And check touringplans.com for which days to visit which park. The only crowds we had to deal with this year was at MK on a Friday. We pretty much walked onto each ride all other days at MK, Epcot & AK. I can't compare September as I've never been then but I'd guess it may be slightly less crowded but I bet it's hotter than May (not that May isn't warm itself).

We were there for Memorial Day and it was definitely more crowded than we're used to (past visits in late Aug, Sept/Oct, mid-Dec, Jan, and early Mar) but not so much so that it wasn't enjoyable. You have to get there early and make better use of Fastpass, but an experienced DISer shouldn't have a hard time enjoying the parks.

My birthday is 5/27 so it often falls over Memorial weekend and it was well worth the busier parks to be there for it - you can't beat midnight in the Magic Kingdom as a way to celebrate! I'm taking DS14 for a SWW trip next year and planning on the same weekend again; it isn't the least crowded of the event but I <3 being at WDW for my b-day.

Thank you everyone :). Sorry for my ignorance but when is Memorial Day? I'm from England so I don't know the US holidays.

Memorial Day is on May 27th of 2013. Memorial weekend would then be considered Friday, May 24th - Monday, May 27th.

Just make sure to go before memorial weekend,use fast pass,get their early to enjoy all the must ride attractions and always have a game plan but if your the type that likes to play it by ear I suggest stick to September I know you wanna go as a bday gift but the wait will be so worth it as well check out dads guide to disney
I use this site all the time
Hope u have a magical time

May will be a little more crowded than you are used to, but except for the last weekend of the month (nearly all non-retail businesses are closed for the Memorial Day holiday on the last Monday of the month, so everybody takes a short 3-day weekend vacation) it's a great time to go. About half the schools in the country are still in session and people often don't want to pull the kids out then because they'd miss the final tests. The weather is absolutely warm enough for swimming but usually not horrifically hot. You may get the occasional afternoon shower but you're several months away from hurricane season. Disney is gearing up for summer crowds so most normal refurbs are completed. Park hours start to get extended. Until the middle of the month you can go see the extra displays at Epcot for Flower & Garden. You can attend one of the first Star Wars Weekends at DHS; in fact, this coming year it looks like they will overlap with F&G ending Sunday May 19 but SWW starting May 17 - May 19.

I have gone in mid May 2x's both times it has been 92+ degrees everyday....miserable heat and humidity...but the croweds were light

Hey OP we are going next May too - (also for "significant" birthday- DH's- let's just say he will be older than you and leave it at that!) I have been doing lots of research and as long as you avoid that Memorial Day wk end, May looks pretty good crowd wise - especially weekdays.
We are coming all the way from New Zealand (20 hours flying woohoo) so we are doing a LOT of planning...can any regulars tell us what to expect weather and temp- wise inMay? I'm expecting humidity but it's hard to imagine how much....

Just make sure to go before memorial weekend,use fast pass,get their early to enjoy all the must ride attractions and always have a game plan but if your the type that likes to play it by ear I suggest stick to September I know you wanna go as a bday gift but the wait will be so worth it as well check out dads guide to disney
I use this site all the time
Hope u have a magical time

Welcome to the DIS! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter