How busy are parks during National Cheer Competition week?

disneyfor5

Mouseketeer
We are going to Disney for my daughters Cheer Competition in Feb, (6-11). This is my first time for this and it seems like most of the Disney hotels are booked. Has anyone been there before for this competition? I am wondering how busy the parks are. Thanks for any info!

We went during it in 2012 and the parks were not at all crowded. About 35K (out of 80K max) for capacity and the weather was very pleasant considering we left snow at home. It was a great time to be there and my 3 boys loved seeing all the pretty cheerleaders around the parks.

I believe that week is Mardi Gras this year. It may be packed. Sorry to relay bad news!! I just checked and Mardi Gras is the following week. Whew!

Many of us coming for Mardi Gras are arriving on Sat Feb 9th. My ds will probably also enjoy seeing the pretty girls.

Not familiar with specific cheer/dance competitions, but I'm sure it goes on way longer than one week. We always went to the spring training games at ESPN Wide World of Sports (beginning the end of February and lasting through March) and there was nearly always competition going on there. I never noticed a big change in the park crowds, but agree that Mardi Gras time will be busy.
A lot of people go to Universal for their Mardi Gras celebration, but that goes on and on!

We were there that week last year and it wasn't crowded at all, there was 1 day where HS was a bit more busy people wise, with all the cheerleaders but the wait for rides wasn't bad at all.

The weather wasn't too pleasant for a few days, but all in all it was good.

I'm going during the same time Feb 9th -15th..what is Mardi gras and should I be worried lol

I'm going during the same time Feb 9th -15th..what is Mardi gras and should I be worried lol

Mardi Gras is a annual celebration beginning on or after Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. In the United States is heavily practiced primarily in the state of Louisiana.

Many schools in Lousiana are out the week you are visiting for the Mardi Gras celebration so there will likely be a good number of people from that state visting that week.

It is not a widely recognized holiday in the US so it will not have a really big impact but you will likely see a lot of people wearing New Orleans Saints or Lousiana State University (LSU) clothing when you are there.

I have gone to Disney on and off for years during Dance/Cheer competition weeks in February. It is a perfect time to go if you ask me. Although right now it appears all Value resorts are booked, that's because they block them off for the cheerleaders and dancers. Some rooms may open as the time gets closer. Even if there are many teams there, so many of them have hard core coaches that will not allow them much "play" time at the parks so the parks are never crowded. The weather has been up and down over the years - one year we laid out and got sun burnt and the next year we were in triple layers, freezing. Just prepare for that.

. The weather has been up and down over the years - one year we laid out and got sun burnt and the next year we were in triple layers, freezing. Just prepare for that.

Thanks for that tip! We've been watching the weather channel like crazy people trying to predict the weather... No wonder the weather people are always wrong lol.

Glad to know everyone takes up the hotel around that time but the parks aren't crazy busy. We had some friends who were trying to get into Art of Animation to come and join us. But it appears that just about everything from value -deluxe is booked during that time..

I'm sure we can make it work regardless... I just want to get there :)

Like PP stated, it may get a busier by the end of the trip because of Mardi Gras but the beginning part of the trip should be great. Most people will not arrive for Mardi Gras until the 9th.

Now if you are staying at the Value's or CBR you may have issues getting a bus to or from the parks. We have been at the parks the same time as the cheer competition and we have noticed that the bus stops at the parks are always full of cheerleaders.

Good Luck I am sure you will have fun no matter what!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter