How big are the sites at FW?

msmom595

Earning My Ears
Or do the sizes vary depending on the loop you get? And if this is the case, which loops have larger sites?

Someone said to me that they were "packed in like sardines" when they stayed at FW about 2 years ago, and I was suprised at this. I've seen pictures, and it didn't look like people were packed in. Is it just her opinion of packed in? They do have a rather large unit, so maybe that make a difference.

Thanks! We are going in November, but haven't finalized which dates we want to be at FW yet.

We have been to FW several times and have NEVER felt packed in. We've stayed in preferred loop 1400, and full hook up loops 1000, and 1100. We prefer loop 1000 because it is so close to the trading post, etc.

We have a 35' TT, and tow w/ an excursion so we are about 50-55' total trying to back in. Sometimes it is a tight squeeze getting in but once we are in there is plenty of room for our slide out and awning. Then there is always a tree line buffer between your neighbor. The only time we had a problem getting into a space was in the 1400 loop and it was due to the location of fences, garbage cans and where the neighbors parked sticking out a bit so we did not have enough room on the rd to maneuver. We just picked another site and it was no problem.

I love FW, it is so peaceful and I don't believe you will feel like you are packed in like sardines. Some of the pet loops look a bit more crowded but it may just be that those loops have larger rigs in them.

We have a 45' motorhome we have had a little problem sometime getting into some site but Disney has been working on that problem. We have 3 slides and an awning some sites a little tight do to the placement if some tree but last trip we saw a lot of tree on site marked for cut down that would open up the site a lot for people like us. The prefer loops are a little wider and longer. Hope This Helps..

Actually, the preferred loops have some of the smallest sites at FW. They also are some of the closest together. This area of FW is the older section, and campers were much smaller then.

I have found when we stay in the preferred loops we always seem to have are picnic table on the pad under the awning but when we stay in none preferred loops the table is under the awning always in the dirt.

stillh2o said:
We have a 45' motorhome we have had a little problem sometime getting into some site but Disney has been working on that problem. We have 3 slides and an awning some sites a little tight do the placement if some tree but last trip we saw a lot of tree on site marked for cut down that would open up the site a lot for people like us. The prefer loops are a little wider and longer. Hope This Helps..

I agree about the tree situation! We have a 26' TT with 1 slide-out and an awning. This was out first time camping and of course, we had a very large pine tree where our awning shoulf have opened. In order to get both things opened, we had to back to the very back of out lot, which meant we didn't have use of the concrete slab AT ALL.

I love everything about the site and the loop, well, the campground, other than our little tree problem. I'll just make sure not to have that site again.

BTW, it was 507.

ftwildernessguy said:
Actually, the preferred loops have some of the smallest sites at FW. They also are some of the closest together. This area of FW is the older section, and campers were much smaller then.

So, with a bigger rig, do you recommend reserving a full site rather than preferred?

I hope someone can help us i feel preferred are bigger but i could be wrong so please help

stillh2o said:
I hope someone can help us i feel preferred are bigger but i could be wrong so please help

I think ftwildernessguy hit the nail on the head. I had to go back to my old Disney stuff to figure this out, and here is the "History of Fort Wilderness" as I know it:

Fort Wilderness opened November 1971 on 750 acres between the Contemporary Resort and the Walt Disney World Village (now Downtown Disney). At that time it had 231 camping sites including loops 100 - 600.

June 1973 added 481 sites, loops 700 - 1900

April 1974 Pioneer Hall opened

June 1976 added 113 sites, loops 2000 - 2100

June 1976 River Country opened

April 1979 added Creekside Meadow group camping area

December 1986 added 383 trailer sites*, loops 2200 - 2800

* the current sites of cabins had rental Terry Trailers on them

As you can see, the preferred sites were planned/developed in the late 60's and opened in 1971. While not a lot later, most of the full hook up sites opened in 1973.

I feel that most of the "roomier" sites are in the full hook up loops and feel quite confined in most preferred loops.

When it comes down to it if I had to make a choice between putting out my awning and having lots of trees, the trees win hands down.

Okay, here's the deal. You shouldn't really notice that much of a difference in loops with any size rig, really. I have seen some really huge rv's in the 100 loop. If you actually measure the site size (yeah, I did it, but my wife says I need a life) you will find that the preferred loops (100,200 etc) sites are smaller than say the sites in the 1600 area. There are also fewer trees, the sites are closer together and you will have less privacy. So what do you pay for in the preferred loops, you may ask. Well, I'll tell you. You will get a cable TV hook up so you can watch the resort channel and you will be closer to the Settlement area, along with Trail's End, Hoop Dee Doo and the marina. I really wouldn't choose my site based solely on the size of my rig and the average site size. The only time I had trouble getting into my site was because it was directly across from the comfort station and there was a wooden fence in my way. I just called from the courtesy phone at the comfort station and got another site in the same loop. As far as awnings and bump outs, whether you can use yours depends on the individual site, not the loop. FW is pretty well wooded and there are sometimes some trees in inconvenient spaces. If that means you have to park on the sand pad to use your awning, then that's what you have to do. I have been on sites where I couldn't use my awning at all. Ya know what? It didn't ruin my vacation one bit. So relax, get your site, set up the best you can and enjoy yourself.

We are going in Aug. staying in 800 loop like i have posted before saw lots of trees marked for cut down. We had a problem last trip and Disney said they where work on the problem that would be nice to see. We love to walk from loop to loop and see the sites & rigs so when we come back well give an update on site progress. This will help me too.

Loop 700 always seem to be a good one for big rigs, we also enjoy walking around looking at sites. You can put a prefernce for a loop, but not actually reserve a certain loop, so don't be surprise if you do not get your preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter