• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad is the motion sickness on the GREEEN Mission:Space at EP? (m)

gailpet

Earning My Ears
My 7 year old daughter is dying to go on it (the milder one -- green I think???) and DH and I tend to get bad motion sickness on things like the Tilt-O-Whirl. I was telling her that it was a ride for older kids but she is really disappointed that I'm leaning against going on it.

Opinions?

I hate to have us feel sick all day after riding on it but hate to disappoint her as well!!!

There's no spinning on the Green line. I rode that one. Centrifuges are not meant for humans, imo. So I didn't get any motion sickness to speak of, BUT - the claustrophobia, even for me who is not really claustrophobic, was very scary. It's as tho they put you in a small box, with little wiggle room and shut the door. If you DO get dizzy you can at least close your eyes.

There's no motion sickness on the green side...you don't spin. Everyone will be fine.

Everyone is so different, it's hard to say how you'll react. I'm with you on not being able to ride things that spin - they tend to make me nauseated as well. But I have done Mission: Space, and I didn't feel ill. Because of the was they do it, you don't feel any spinning sensation. You do feel other things, like the sensation of increased gravity during the "lift-off," and a sort of weightless feeling later on. Those may be issues for you. But you won't feel the effects that you would on a Tilt-a-Whirl. If you do decide to ride Mission:Space, it will help you to follow their directions exactly - keep looking straight ahead, don't close your eyes, and maintain regular, even breathing (the tendency can be to hold your breath when you're nervous).

If you had wanted to go on the orange side, then I would say that motion sickness is a big possibility. Both my DH and I got sick for hours after riding that one. We have both ridden the green side many times and neither of us has gotten sick. It doesn't move other than an occassional "shake" to simulate a Mars landing. It's one of my favorites now that they made vehicles which don't rotate.

Katems said:
There's no motion sickness on the green side...you don't spin. Everyone will be fine.

Maybe for you but not for everyone. The simulator can still make people sick depending on their tolerance level for those types of rides. I, for one, felt very sick during and afterwards. I was spinny headed for a while. I will not be riding it again.

I can absolutely not ride a Tilt-O-Whirl (just typing it makes my eyes roll), but I was fine on Mission Green. I can't say I wasn't absolutely terrified the first time, though! (yes - I rode it more than once. My kids loved it). I was very nervous walking up to it and getting in it (mild claustrophobia - in fact, I struggle on Spaceship Earth). Much like Spaceship Earth, the ride leans you backwards and forwards (okay, that part isn't Spaceship Earth-y). I closed my eyes a couple of times on the first ride and was fine. I opened them on a subsequent ride and was also fine.

Good luck!

I cannot take any of the simulator rides or spinny rides anymore - the last time I rode the Tilt-A-Whirl, I was nauseous for hours afterwards. :faint:

Though everyone is different, I have ridden Mission Space: Green multiple times and had no problems. The first time I rode it, I was so nervous (I had just seen someone getting sick after coming off the Orange side) that I had to make sure I didn't pysch myself out - but I was fine. There's some vibrations, and a little pressure, but no spinning.

I confess to getting queasy on Star Tours depending on where I sit. I had ZERO problems with green MS. I could kick myself for not trying it sooner.

I was worried about motion sickness, but it didn't make me feel bad at all. It was really tame. Last time I rode Space Mountain though it made me feel a bit queasy. Never had that happen before.

~Mission Space Green was very boring to me, but it's nice because you can experience the exact same ride without the intense spinning. I just felt it lean back to "take off" and that was it. I think a Merry Go Round is more intense than this! Have fun! :goodvibes

I get motion sickness in a car so and I have had no trouble with the green side :) I made the mistake of trying the orange side, thinking that it probably wouldn't be THAT bad... BIG MISTAKE. I feel sick for so long afterward, dizzy. Never again. :)

The nice thing about the green side is that, as long as you are not claustrophobic, you can just close your eyes if the visuals are making you uncomfortable -- and then there's really no physical aspect to the "ride," other than VERY mild bumps to simulate landing on Mars. I am extremely visually sensitive (I absolutely get the sensation that the entire theater is moving when we do the 360 degree movies at Epcot, even though I know it's not) and I'm not an extreme ride person but I can do the green side of MM without problems. My DH, who is big on all the thrill rides, can't do this one because of the claustrophobic feelings he gets in the capsule. DS loves this ride so it's one that we can do together!

I can no longer even think about going on rides that go in circles without feeling sick. If I watch a circular ride like the tea cups I do get sick. (age you know?)

That said, I have done both sides of Mission Space and didn't feel sick either time. The "orange" side I did before they changed the ride. I was very scared that I would feel sick, but we were chaperoning my son's band trip and I didn't feel comfortable sending them in without me. Nothing. The green "chicken" side doesn't feel like you are doing anything (whcih I don't think you are).

I think most of my motion sickness is from seeing myself going in circles. Even if you had total motion sickness problems though, I can't see how this ride would bother you.

op-

i too suffer from vertigo/dizziness/motion sickness and no longer partake on this ride-just in case.
:)

I confess to getting queasy on Star Tours depending on where I sit. I had ZERO problems with green MS. I could kick myself for not trying it sooner.

That's what I was going to say, probably similar to star tours, but in a more confined space.

My 7 year old daughter is dying to go on it (the milder one -- green I think???) and DH and I tend to get bad motion sickness on things like the Tilt-O-Whirl. I was telling her that it was a ride for older kids but she is really disappointed that I'm leaning against going on it.
Opinions?
I hate to have us feel sick all day after riding on it but hate to disappoint her as well!!!

The possibility of motion sickness on the green side isn't zero. It still rocks and shakes and it still simulates the lift off by moving your car. It's just that they don't rotate the whole mechanism like a centrifuge as they do on the Orange side. That said, any motion sickness should be minor and temporary. Star Tours on average has a higher nausea factor than does Mission Space Green and a tilt-o-whirl would have a much higher nasea factor than does Green. It is rather tight in there so if you're afraid of tight spaces, don't ride. Otherwise, I would think you'll be ok.

Opinions?

My DW, who's extremely sensitive to spinning rides, was able to enjoy it without ill effects. It was made for people like her, and I understand it just rocks back and forth without the spinning.

I've never been on it myself -- after riding orange, riding green would be like riding Kali in a raincoat... But I agree that you should try it -- the level of detail in the ride capsule is amazing!

I have ridden it twice (green side). The first time was two years ago, and I got a little bit of a headache from it, but I was fine after about 10 minutes. I rode it again three weeks ago, and I got really sick on it. I had to sit down and drink a coke to settle my stomach. The coke helped so it didn't completely ruin my day. I wasn't expecting it to do that to me since I was okay last time. I do Star Tours just fine, but Mission Space is a no go for me from now on. Everyone is different so you probably would be just fine, but you never know until you try it for yourself.

IMHO, the green side is much like a very tiny version of Star Tours. It jostles you around like ST but it's just very small with the screen about 1-2 feet in front of your face. I've done both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter