how bad is the loop on Screamin'

Always Dream

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

So I like most rides, but I'm pretty nervous about California Screamin' - I've never really done major coasters. I love all the Disney coasters except Rockin' Rollercoaster - this made me feel sick. I think it was because of the loops, but I also didn't care too much for the take-off!

Does anyone have an opinion on how these two rides compare? I don't want to skip it - but i'm afraid riding might make me feel ill for hours.

thanks!

I haven't been on Rockin' Rollercoaster, but as far as loops go, the small loop on Screamin' is pretty tame compared to most. The "take-off" is more thrilling than the loop in my opinion, but it's a great coaster. I, however, do not have a problem with motion sickness. Your experience might vary if RR made you sick :confused3

I love this coaster, I consider it one of the smoother coasters I have been on. I mean the tracks are not all out of balance where your head is shaking around and you get this awful headache (like the NY NY LV coaster) The loop is fun and yes pretty tame..

My husband loves the Aero Smith Coaster at Disney Studios not sure which one he likes better.

The launch is the same (well, except that RCR is in the dark). To me RCR seemed much "tighter"- there were several loops/corkscrews all in a row. I loved it, but it was a bit disorienting, especially given that all that takes place in the dark.

Screamin is more stretched out, for lack of a better phrase. Turns are wide, drops are long. In my opinion, the one loop on Screamin is far less disorienting. You really don't know you're upside down until it's passed.

If you can handle the launch, I recommend giving Screamin a try.

I agree that the loop is over so quick, you hardly notice. The take-off is something!:goodvibes It's pretty smooth too IMO. I'm a 50 year old grandma that has to ride it with my twenty-something SIL 'cause no one will ride with us!:rotfl:

NOT bad at all! :) You feel pressure on your head/sinus area but it's easily tolerable for just a couple of seconds. :) It's kind of a rush, actually.

I'd never been on a coaster before, and love it so much. Very fun ride.

If you watch youtube vids. to see where the banks and turns are, it's easier on you to be able to turn your body as needed, during turns. Also, watch your head, make sure it's held back the whole time, and try not to let your head slam to the right or left or it will hurt your ears if your ears slam into the headrest.

BUT with all that being said, seriously, one can watch/monitor what's going on, and prevent yourself from hitting your ears against the headrest, etc.

I would suggest to try it once - if you like it, keep on going, and if you don't, then don't go on it again.

I walked away from it once as I was too scared it was too strong of a ride for my then 9 year old son. I was also nervous myself, at the time. I had major regrets walking away from it. The next year, when we went again, we got to ride on the ride, and loved it.

I had been petrified to try it! I do love BTMR and the matterhorn. I don't like Mickey's Fun Wheel (have never been on swinging ones) nor do I like TOT. This ride is right up my alley, it's a lot of fun, I hope you'll try it.

Good luck!! :)

I wanted to know the same thing. I usually won't do upside down rides, except at Disney. I have done RR at WDW and find it tolerable. I *hated* space mountain at Disneyland Paris - I got really thrown around and slammed my head way too much. I think Indiana Jones at DLRP goes upside down too, and I don't remember having a problem with it, it was over pretty quick. I love Everest @ WDW, which doesn't go upside down. How does Screamin' compare w/ Everest?

--Heather

I thought the launch in Screamin' was pretty intense, and I think that's what made me shaky afterward. But what really got me was the drops. Loops don't bother me so much, but I didn't think the loops were bad. (I enjoyed Rock 'n Roller Coaster and hardly even noticed the loops on that one. I did notice the big loop on Screamin'.)

My friend who hates loops but is OK with dropsdidn't really care for Screamin', but she rode it twice (once each on two different trips) so obviously it wasn't THAT bad for her.

(Her mother, who was certainly more than 50, liked it quite a bit, LOL.)

If you don't mind drops I think Screamin' may be worth a try, but it's your call.

Well this 50 year old 5 time grandma goes on California Screamin at least half a dozen times every trip to DL! I had been terrified of rollercoasters since I was about 6 and was taken on an old wooden one which traumatised me for the next nearly 40 years. I was in line for California Screamin and thinking about chickening out, and there was this older grandma with her grandson in front of us...I'm talking at least late 60's....she was so excited to go on it, talking to her grandson about how much fun it was....I thought, if she can do this so can I!! no turning back...I LOVE it!! wasted nearly 40 years being scared....

The loop's not bad at all. Only three people have ever fallen out. Overall, it's a pretty smooth coaster. No big slams or jerks (except for brakes a time or two). I almost miss wooden coasters because you forget how comfy the new ones are when you don't have a tooth-chipper to compare it to.

I guess I have to be the dissenter for this thread. The loop in and of itself didn't bother me, because as others have said, it's so quick you barely notice it. What made me ill on this ride was that the drops and turns come in such rapid succession that my equilibrium could never recover. When I stepped off the ride, I was shaky and nauseated. My friend had some very strong anti-nausea meds that she takes, which calmed my stomach. However, the spinning vertigo lasted for hours. :sick::sick::sick: Unfortunately, this was the first ride we did that evening....

I've recently read WDW people talking in detail about RnR, and I guess they have more corkscrew-type loops, and there is more than one. But with Screamin', the loop you see is THE loop you get. The rest is more like an old fashioned rollercoaster (like the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, which I grew up riding) with ups and downs and such.

I actually find the loop to be lovely. The take-off is hard, though! Be sure to keep your head BACK, no matter how long they keep you at the launch!

Well this 50 year old 5 time grandma goes on California Screamin at least half a dozen times every trip to DL! I had been terrified of rollercoasters since I was about 6 and was taken on an old wooden one which traumatised me for the next nearly 40 years. I was in line for California Screamin and thinking about chickening out, and there was this older grandma with her grandson in front of us...I'm talking at least late 60's....she was so excited to go on it, talking to her grandson about how much fun it was....I thought, if she can do this so can I!! no turning back...I LOVE it!! wasted nearly 40 years being scared....

My grandma went on Screamin' when my parents took her last year when she was 82. She loved it! :goodvibes

82!? your grandma is 82 and loves Screamin?:cool1::worship:

That is the kind of grandma I want to be when I grow up.

Hi All,

So I like most rides, but I'm pretty nervous about California Screamin' - I've never really done major coasters. I love all the Disney coasters except Rockin' Rollercoaster - this made me feel sick. I think it was because of the loops, but I also didn't care too much for the take-off!

Does anyone have an opinion on how these two rides compare? I don't want to skip it - but i'm afraid riding might make me feel ill for hours.

thanks!

Actually, I would say the two rides are similar. However, with California Screamin' you can see the loops coming and knowing something is there helps your body handle it better (I'm a pilot and flying airplanes is easy - riding in them even gets me a little motion sick). Darkness, as in RnR and Space Mtn, magnifies the affects of the curves, loops, and drops. Screamin' is a fun experience. You gotta at least try it once, and if you don't like it, well, you will recover quick enough. :)

I wanted to know the same thing. I usually won't do upside down rides, except at Disney. I have done RR at WDW and find it tolerable. I *hated* space mountain at Disneyland Paris - I got really thrown around and slammed my head way too much. I think Indiana Jones at DLRP goes upside down too, and I don't remember having a problem with it, it was over pretty quick. I love Everest @ WDW, which doesn't go upside down. How does Screamin' compare w/ Everest?

--Heather
Me too. There are few Disney rides I plain do not like, but DLP's Space Mtn is one of them. I rode it twice to be sure. And there is a loop on their Indy coaster, but that ride has such weak theming it is a joke.

That said, I loved most everything else at DLP! Especially Fantasyland. :)

Actually, I would say the two rides are similar. However, with California Screamin' you can see the loops coming and knowing something is there helps your body handle it better (I'm a pilot and flying airplanes is easy - riding in them even gets me a little motion sick). Darkness, as in RnR and Space Mtn, magnifies the affects of the curves, loops, and drops. Screamin' is a fun experience. You gotta at least try it once, and if you don't like it, well, you will recover quick enough. :)

Screamin' only has one loop and it's not too bad. You just get kind of pushed down into your seat a bit.

I'm not a huge coaster fan. But I can handle all Disney coasters I've been on. As others have stated, RnR is a bit more intense. It's dark and there aren't just loops, there are corkscrews as well (which I find far more disorienting than loops.)

I love thrill rides and roller coasters however, I have found that my ability to ride without getting sick (headache, dizzy etc.) reduces as I accumulate birthdays!:rotfl:

The answer:
bonine/non-drowsy Dramine

Take one before you even start your day and then another every 4 hours or so. The whole day will be more enjoyable.

The loop itself does not cause me any trouble, like other's have said it's the awesome drops and banks that will put my inner ear into a tizzy!

:crazy:

It takes me longer to recover from Space Mountain than Screamin. I love Screamin. Last time I went on SM I had to sit down for a minute because I was pretty dizzy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter