How bad is taking the buses with a stroller?

delilah18

DIS Veteran
A lot people recommend using the monorail resorts with little ones, but if you can't afford a monorail resort, is it going to be really hard on the buses with little ones and stollers?

You can ride busses easily with stroller...its just that stroller users need to be considerate of other vacationers time; PRACTICE folding ? unfolding! do it in 10 secs!

We just take our umbrella stroller and it's easy. We just fold it up and dh holds it b/w his legs so he's not taking up more space. Last time we went in July of 08 the buses weren't that busy (from POP) and so we usually could just lay it on the floor or not even fold it up.

We usually had our son out of the stroller and it folded up before the bus got there so that it was ready.

Up until our upcoming trip, we've done strollers and the buses very time. I will say last trip, we gave up on the buses and drove to the parks each day, but that was more of a "got tire of waiting on the buses" thing for us. Driving just offered us more control of the day. Now, we've almost always gone in value season, but the strollers and buses aren't a big deal. Just be prepared - have your stroller folded and ready to get on the bus while you're in line. One parent get the kids by the hand and help them, the other take the stroller. It's fine - most people have been there and completely understand. :goodvibes

I'll be honest, there's nothing like the conveniece of wheeling your children and stroller right onto the monorail (especially if they're asleep or tired).

The busses are luck of the draw. If the bus is crowded, it's tough with a stroller. If the bus isn't crowded, not as bad.
You get a packed bus (Standing room only), maybe a wheelchair guest is on that bus too, you're standing, holding bags, strollers, kids crying, etc... it can be a challenge.

Like the poster above said, make sure you can fold and unfold quickly... most strollers today are pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

it's disney, not the city -bus.[/QUOTE]

Say that at 1am in the morning when the bus is Sardine packed. I have no problem with the littleone's stroller. I will usually stand but I can see others just gritting their teeth. Yes its Disney but it's the dark side of Disney at that time of night. Come to the dark side.

I will never forget when we watched some poor man take all the wheels off a double jogging stroller with a screwdriver while in line for a Pop bus. He really thought it would go on the bus with the wheels. Don't be that person and you will be fine.

On and off the buses was no problem. As someone else posted, we had the kids out of strollers and folded B4 the bus arrived, then when getting off walked out of the crowd to reload. I will say that if you stay at WL or FW OR BC/YC or BW or S/D getting on and off the boats you do not HAVE TO fold the stroller. They will let you wheel the stroller on as long as there is enough room.

It's not bad at all...you just have to fold up your stroller on the buses. We have stayed at many resorts, on the monorail and off, and regardless...you will have to take a bus somewhere along the way. Folding up the stroller is definitely NOT the end of the world. The monorail is easy in a lot of ways, but honestly, YC/BC and BWI are all great resorts (still deluxe) and are in walking distance to E and DHS...or you can take the boat...all the transportation is honestly easy to get around with! GL

A lot people recommend using the monorail resorts with little ones, but if you can't afford a monorail resort, is it going to be really hard on the buses with little ones and stollers?
This recommendation is normally based upon the fact that this age group prefers MK over the other parks. Their also likely to need a midday nap, so it can become a recommendation of location and conveinence.

Other the other hand, if stay at a non-monorail resort you might consider planing your own approach for unloading the stroller, folding it up and realize you may need to adjust your approach based upon crowds..you will be fine. The size of your personally owned stroller can make this task simple or hard. The amount of stuff you plan on bring and carrying in or on the stroller also contributes to how hard this task may be for you. Also consider there is a time period where you will be carrying the stroller, x number of bags and a child or two. Planning ahead and trying it out at home may make your experience more pleasant.

I'll be honest, there's nothing like the conveniece of wheeling your children and stroller right onto the monorail (especially if they're asleep or tired).

The busses are luck of the draw. If the bus is crowded, it's tough with a stroller. If the bus isn't crowded, not as bad.
You get a packed bus (Standing room only), maybe a wheelchair guest is on that bus too, you're standing, holding bags, strollers, kids crying, etc... it can be a challenge.

Like the poster above said, make sure you can fold and unfold quickly... most strollers today are pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

The only time that I have found the bus is really crowded is when the parks open and when they close at night. If you go a little early and beat the rush its not bad in the morning!

Even when you stay at a monorail resort, you'll still need the bus. The trains only go to MK & Epcot. You'll need a bus for AK, HS, BB, TL, and DTD.

As others have stated get an inexpensive folding stroller and practice your technique in folding and unfolding and you'll be fine.

When we took our last trip with all of our family, our DD and DSIL purchased an "umbrella" stroller at a consignment store specifically for this trip. They left there large strollers at home. This small $4 "umbrella" worked wonderfully. Our grandson learned his role in the on-and-off process and it all went quickly and smoothly. We all were very happy with the outcome.

However, I have seen so many folks struggle with various strollers that were either new or borrowed. Several didn't know how to "fold" them or "brake/unbrake" them. In one case, we witnessed a somewhat heated discussion between a bus driver and a father - because the dad said he didn't know how to fold up the stroller. Luckily another dad actually got off of the bus to show him how.

Almost everyone who goes to WDW has had to use a stroller (or will). Most people (who have any sense) will give someone with a stroller some slack and offer them a seat. We have found that getting a stroller at the park was soooo much easier. If you rent a stroller at one park, then go to another park, you dont have to rent another one. Its good all day. The strollers at the parks are really good strollers with smooth/big wheels, sun protection, a little storage, MP3 player, pop-down DVD player, etc... Just kidding about the last two:)

I agree. Practice quickly folding your stroller, have the stroller folded by the time the bus arrives. It's the best you can do. In our experience, other people on the bus were very considerate when we brought our full size stroller on, folded of course.
In my opinion, taking your stroller on a bus (vs the monorail) is a pain in the butt but it can't be avoided if you have a little one. I think the worst part is then having to hold a squirmy 1 1/2 y/o on your lap for the duration of the bus ride!
We've been there and survived! Enjoy your trip!

I am wondering about double strollers. I would really like to take my double instead of 2 umberlla just for the comfort of the kids. Have people seen many with doubles.

I have no problem with the umbrella type, or the small fold up strolers. They take up very little room on a bus, and are are easy to fold or unfold. The problem that I have are these hugh jogging 3 wheeler ones or the double in line strollers. They take lots of room and are a pain to get down the isle of a bus.

I dislike the busses & I have used them with strollers & sometimes 2 strollers.

It is a pain but not horrible. What we do (dh & I) is that we unload the stroller-kid & all the stuff we have in it-usually just one bag at that point before the bus gets there and we fold up the stroller & wait in line like normal non stroller people.

One of us takes the stroller & the other takes the kid & the bag or something like that.

And we don't open the stroller until we are out of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter