How bad is Mission Space?

Disney'sInMySoul

Earning My Ears
Did anyone get extremely sick? Anyone thought it was tame? I can handle TOT and Rockn Roller Coaster just fine, or are they mild compared to it? I kinda want to ride Mission Space this time around but i dunno...im kinda scared. Haha! Thanks for the help!:)

Did anyone get extremely sick? Anyone thought it was tame? I can handle TOT and Rockn Roller Coaster just fine, or are they mild compared to it? I kinda want to ride Mission Space this time around but i dunno...im kinda scared. Haha! Thanks for the help!:)

There are two choices of intensity.

One version has extra G-forces in your capsule vehicle created by a spinning centrifuge,
the other version has capsules without the spinning centrifuge forces.

:welcome: to the DISboards, Disney'sInMySoul!

i have done both versions. i do not tolerate rides that spin or swing repetitively. the spinning version was rough for me. it took me about 2 hrs. to get my bearings back to normal. the non spinning version is still very good.

on the other hand, i can handle rollercoasters, tower of terror very well.

I rode it a few years ago before there was the less intense option. I wouldn't do it again. I have always loved thrill rides and roller coasters, the greatest thrill in my life was when I was finally tall enough to ride the Swamp Fox at Myrtle Beach, and I'm not prone to motion sickness. Mission Space was a little much for me though. I did not get sick, but I told DH after I got off that if it had went on any, and I mean any, longer I would have lost it. We rode the green side with DS this year, he loved it so much he wanted to try the orange (intense) side. I wouldn't do it, DH had said he would do it with him but he backed out, which was a good thing because he would have tossed his cookies.

I don't think I'd ever care to do it again. I love extreme rides, any roller coaster you can throw at me - but this was just like playing a virtual reality style video game while your head felt like it was going to explode and your ears wanted to bleed. I got off feeling like I'd been on a bad deep sea diving adventure. REALLY deep sea diving.

BTW, I had no idea we were spinning. I could feel the pressure very well and even lifted my head and looked side to side even though they said not to, but duh...never occurred to me that spinning was why we were stuck to the seat. lol

I've never had an issue but I love spinning rides. Last time I was on it, a woman in my car threw up in the barf bags. Only person I've ever seen get sick.

We just got back Monday. My DS best friend went with us...and he has motion sickeness. He was apprehensive...but did well on RRC, SM, Splash Mountain...etc.

He was sick as a dog when he got off Mission Space...and we had to leave and go back to the resort to sleep it off. Poor kid! :faint:

My husnad - who is not afraid of anything and nothing bothers him- went on (he did the more intense one) while I sat outside with our DD2.. when he got off he didnt look right. I asked him if he was ok and he said he didnt feel good. For the rest of the day he was felt sick and had a horrible head ach. I think he wanted to leave and go sleep but didnt want to ruin the day for anyone else. He said he would never do it again. :worried: :worried:
Nothing bothers hime either. He has gone on the rest of the big rides no problems!!

Welcome to the DIS, DIMS.
I have ridden both, the original, now orange, when it was the only one, and more recently, the green. I prefer the green, seems to have almost the same experience, minus the strange feeling I had on the orange. Orange did not make me sick, just a bit 'strange' feeling.

It was only rough the first time I rode the orange version because I had heard so many bad things. Unfortunately, it wasn't that bad.....it wasn't that good either. The attraction is not "fun" and does not connect emotionally with me. So either way, your not missing much as far as I'm concerned.

Can anyone compare the Shuttle ride at KSC to mission space? I rode the KSC version last year and I didn't have any problems.

I can ride any thrill ride you throw at me--I am a HUGE rollercoaster fan, and enjoy all kinds of G's on a roller coaster. I love being tossed upside down, spun around...you name it.

That said, I rode both sides of Mission Space, and I would never ride the orange side again. I rode the green first, and it was fine but kind of lame. A neat experience, but not a ride. I therefore thought the orange must be blown out of proportion.

I was wrong.

I had to seriously focus on keeping my eyes open and staring at the screen in order to remain conscious. I did not feel sick per se, but I definitely did not feel GOOD. I was out of sorts for an hour after the ride.

I have NEVER been motion sick before.

I didn't ride this, I'm very claustrophobic. DH and kids rode it. I waited by the exit, sure that they would come off of the ride sick and dizzy. They were excited, saying they wanted to ride it again.

I'm a thrill ride wimp and I love them all. DD (7) did MS last year for first time and turned around and did it a second time, the intense side. It is a matter of prespective.

DH, DS & I (60,17 & 50 at the time) went on it before the official opening, when they were kind of still testing it & getting all the kinks worked out. I felt it was much more intense at that time (although some say it has not been slowed down). We loved it. I do not do roller coasters because of the sideways motion (I had sideways whiplash a few times in auto accidents), but love Tower of Terror.

This is a ride I can only do once per trip though, even though I love the experience. I have to work on controlling my breathing & keeping the eyes open & looking straight ahead. After you get off the ride, keep looking forward as you walk. If you look to the sides or backwards you can get dizzy.

We took DD & her DH (34 & 41) last year and she was already starting to panick in line. I told her she could go on the green side but she said her DH would never let her live that down. So....we get into the module, the panel comes down & the doors close.....She starts repeating "I have to get out of here, I have to get out of here, NOW!!!!!!" I tell her "Too Late" and start getting a barf bag ready for her and then one for me cause if she does, I will. She finally calms down & the ride starts. She concentrates on the buttons & focusing. We get off & she says "I'll Never go on that again". She was in the Commander Seat, so she bought her crew the appropriate hang-tags for their stations. She was a trooper............A few days later we took her on TofT and she screamed bloody murder the whole ride. This ride is a giggler for me. I thought she was dying. She held onto the bar so tight her hands went to sleep. Another "Never again" ride for her.

Just out of curiosity, how long does the ride last?

DBF and I both went on a carnival ride that did the spinning. It was HOT in there and I felt the pressure in my head, and did not find it that fun. We walked off saying we wouldn't do it again. Our other friend, however, was doing all sorts of poses and acrobatics.
I was not overly sick, however, but I think DBF was-- he was pale but that wore off not too long after.

I want to try to go on the orange side on our trip, but DBF and I have agreed to have it be the last ride we do of the day. That way we if we get sick, we can leave and not feel like we missed anything.

If the ride is less than 8-10 minutes, I think I might be able to handle it.
Sorry to jump in with my own questions, but is it ventilated at all in there? The one thing I hated about the carnival ride was how hot and stuffy it was... otherwise I don't think I would have gotten woozy.

I enjoy it, but I don't get motion sickness. If you do, avoid it. If you're claustrophobic at all, definitely avoid it, as it's a very enclosed space and your cabin-mates will be at your mercy if you freak out.

Some people who never have motion sickness on any other ride experience it on this one, so there's no guarantee. I will say that if you ENJOY the feeling of deep pressure on your chest (the kind you get from high speed roller coasters, those rides where you stand in the round room and the floor drops out, or the round-up type rides where you stand in a cage and are held hard in position by the force of the ride twirling), then you'll probably be fine, and the physical burden of the ride won't overwhelm your enjoyment of the whole package.

I don't discount the number of people on the boards who relate their sickness stories. However, in riding it 10 times or so I have to say I've never seen anybody get sick and the usual exit-ing conversations I've overheard have been strongly positive and not complaining. Chances are in any thread asking how bad a ride is, people with negative experiences are going to be more highly represented than their actual numbers, so I wouldn't write off any experience (restaurant, hotel, ride) without looking closely at the reasons people give and seeing if they apply to you.

the ride is about 4 minutes long. I'm not a huge fan of spinning (used to love the "spin and spews" but age is catching up with me:rotfl2: ) and I absolutely adore MS-ORANGE!! (the intense side) DH and I were there for the official opening and we've been known to get off, run around and get back on! If you don't like cramped quarters, this ride is not for you. The ride is also very, very cold...probably to keep folks from losing their meals! :lmao:
We've never ridden the green side....we admit to being curious, but no thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter