How 'bad' is HS during a cheer competition?

g8torphan

Mouseketeer
We're planning on going to HS on 2/1, but apparently there is a cheer competition that day.

We are going back to WDW during SWW, but would rather avoid HS during that time since my son has not seen the movies yet, and I KNOW it will be nuts that weekend.

So, how much of an impact do the cheer teams have on wait times and such?
Josh's site doesn't make it seem too bad, just more traffic and no Indy.

Any first hand experiences here?

We're planning on going to HS on 2/1, but apparently there is a cheer competition that day.

We are going back to WDW during SWW, but would rather avoid HS during that time since my son has not seen the movies yet, and I KNOW it will be nuts that weekend.

Quite likely you won't know it's there.

(Except IF some events are held IN the park, some of the "shows" will likely not be running.)

One year we happened to be on the bus with some of the cheerleaders. DS had no problems.

It seems like there's usually some kind of cheer competition going on in the spring. The competition itself will probably take up a good part of the day, likely at WWoS, so they won't get to the parks until well into the afternoon. The only thing I've noticed at DHS is that sometimes they'll have an event for the cheerleaders after the park closes, but they'll come in before that, so it gets busy at night before the park closes (almost like EMH's at night)

We have been in HS during the Cheer Competitions and the only thing that we noticed is that Indiana Jones was closed (that is where they perform). The only time they seems like it would be an issue is if you are staying at the all-stars or CBR because that is where they stay and there always seemed to be a long line for the busses (which is why we would not stay at those resorts)

On wait times for attractions it doesn't really have an impact but the area around the Epic Stunt Theater will be very busy.
The competition starts at 7am and will go on until 9pm so that entire area will be filled with dancers and family coming and going.

We have been in HS during the Cheer Competitions and the only thing that we noticed is that Indiana Jones was closed (that is where they perform). The only time they seems like it would be an issue is if you are staying at the all-stars or CBR because that is where they stay and there always seemed to be a long line for the busses (which is why we would not stay at those resorts)

Yeah I'm a little concerned about the Allstars....as that's where we'll be staying next weekend. Hopefully it doesn't get too crazy/noisy.

We went to WDW during some sort of competition week at the end of April 2012. We went to HS on a Saturday and that place was JAMMED with teenagers. RNRR and TOT were at 100+ minute waits. So annoying. I don't think that the competitions were held at HS while we were there - just felt like the place was overrun with highschoolers, some of whom were very rude - like RUNNING through the parks to get to a ride or to catch buses.

We were there a few years ago during pop warner week in early December. .never again. .this time Before I booked checked first to see what times competitions were going on!

We will also be there 2/1 and were there in 2012 when the competition went on as well. We had NO issues. Low crowds even with the competition going on. Only bummer is Indiana Jones will be closed (in case that's on your list).

Yep, what she said. I was there last April with my mom and DD7. We were there for a week but the cheerleaders descended a couple days before we left. Some of them were quite obnoxious and almost got a piece of my mind on the bus from the Magic Kingdom one night.

It was kind of interesting walking through the resort and seeing them practicing and whatnot but lord help you if you happen to be walking on the bridge while they are lining up a picture. I got yelled at by a skinny little thing with a pony tail and more make up than Rue Paul.

Agree, at the parks you should be fine. We've been there and wouldn't even had known they were there except for we ate at Backlot Express, sitting outside where we could see into the side of Indiana Jones. They were gathered there and some were sitting where we were. They are very busy with their competitions and don't seem to be anywhere in the park that day.

NOW ... at hotels we have had other experiences. Practicing outside until way past midnight. I simply don't get why Disney doesn't put them all in the buildings together with no regular guests mixed in. Food court and buses were also crowded so we drove to parks and ate elsewhere. It's the same number of people guest wise but since they travel in large groups they do make an impact.

Agree, at the parks you should be fine. We've been there and wouldn't even had known they were there except for we ate at Backlot Express, sitting outside where we could see into the side of Indiana Jones. They were gathered there and some were sitting where we were. They are very busy with their competitions and don't seem to be anywhere in the park that day.

NOW ... at hotels we have had other experiences. Practicing outside until way past midnight. I simply don't get why Disney doesn't put them all in the buildings together with no regular guests mixed in. Food court and buses were also crowded so we drove to parks and ate elsewhere. It's the same number of people guest wise but since they travel in large groups they do make an impact.

That and there's quite a difference I'm sure from when you have a nice ratio of 1 adult per every minor to a ratio where there might be 1 adult per 20-25 minors within these groups. Here's to hoping its not too crazy when we're there next weekend.

Can't speak for cheer competition time BUT we have been there for SWW in June. FWIW the place clears out after the parade. We had lunch right after the parade and HS was seriously a ghost town for the rest of the day/evening.

We were there last year during a big cheerleader competition, staying at All Star Sports. Had no issues with rude cheerleaders, they seemed very friendly and sociable. But the bus lines to the parks were absolutely horrendous. So bad that we are avoiding the All Stars and staying at Pop this trip...

I think we went three years in a row when we were there at the same time as the cheerleaders. We never once had an issue with them. Occasionally we'd see small groups of them in the parks, but they were always polite and we barely noticed them.

Where I have heard it can be an issue is if you are staying at the same resort as the teams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter