How bad is grad night?

DaisyFoote

Mouseketeer
My husband surprised me the other day with plans for us to leave right after graduation on May 25 and travel across the country and go to Disneyland. I found out the best days to visit are on a Tuesday - Thursday so was planning on getting a 5 day ticket and going May 30 - 31, touring southern CA the days in between and then heading back to Disney on June 5,6, and 7. I found a crowd calendar today that tells me the 2 weeks we'll be there will be grad nights though. Does that mean they'll be extremely crowded? Will is be all day or mainly just in the evenings? What can i expect?

It will be busy because it is summer season. It will not just be high school grads but also middle school grads and other school groups during the day. That being said, it is still less busy than in July. Also, Disney made changes to the grad nights again and are offering different tickets at different price levels that may have many schools choosing the cheaper, party only tickets. I would just make sure at least one day you visit each park is a non party day and be sure to get to the parks early each day. Have a good trip!

We were there during grad night last year. Spent the morning in DL and then hopped to DCA at night because their night was at DL. We didn't mind it. Yes, it was busy but we've always been to DL when it was busy. Best advice I can give you- make a reservation for your dinner. The restaurants were all slammed. That's when I felt the crowds the most. We would go again during grad night.

We were there during grad night last year. Spent the morning in DL and then hopped to DCA at night because their night was at DL...

Grad Nite parties are all held at DCA now (including last year). Last year the grads had park hoppers that allowed all day access to DL and DCA, but the party started later at DCA. As stated above, the ticket structure has changed for 2018 and no one knows yet how many schools will choose which kind of ticket (all day vs. nightime party only). General consensus is that the morning hours are the least crowded and the best time to get the most done.

We traditionally go during grad-nights as that is usually our only summer window. We have not had much problems other than crowds and a few rowdy teens - but I have had similar crowds/rowdy teens on other random non-grad night days. Other people report horror stories, but we have not had that experience. For us, it has been just more 'groups' in matching shirts around and trying to stay together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter