How bad is Disney World over the summer?

We used to go every Aug somewhere around the 16-22. Cheaper and less crowded. However, as I get older (wiser??!!) I have decided against it. We went the first week of April last year and to be walking around when it was 75-80 with a light breeze was AWESOME! We got so much more done without being so down right tired and over heated each night. We are going the first week of May this year and I doubt I'll ever go back in the summer, unless there is a great deal I can't pass up.

We went the first week of April last year and to be walking around when it was 75-80 with a light breeze was AWESOME! We got so much more done without being so down right tired and over heated each night. We are going the first week of May this year.
I agree-I think April/early May is the weather "sweet spot" at WDW-I love strolling through the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot with a light breeze blowing!:)

I think the main thing is, is that you just have to go into knowing that you're gonna sweat and it is going to be hot. Plan accordingly and I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. Have fun!

Another Houston person here.. we went in early June last year and it wasn't bad for us. upper 80s, low 90s. Humidity is a given in summer. August is statistically a little hotter. Of course there are variables with the heat...some summers or just individual weeks/days are worse.

We're going in mid August this summer and I admit, I'm a little nervous that those few extra degrees may do me in. But I figure I'll be acclimated by then, since we're already in the mid 80s by mid-April with oppressive humidity. I think tolerance all depends on what climate you're coming from and your own body. I do heat much better than cold. But naturally, I'm way more used to our (relatively mild, I realize) cold temperatures in February than I am in say, November, when that first front comes through.

Love going in the summer. Heat doesn't bother me. Drink plenty of water. Also, golfing in June at WDW is great. Almost no problems with tee-times. The only issues are the families that bring their young...1-2 year-old kids in summer and they are confined to a stroller, crying and screaming. As for wait times, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain were the longest at MK. And again...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

I have been the last week of August (multiple times) since kids were school-age at that point. I can do hot but the humidity is what can get to you. However, I noticed how much we were out of it on rides, in restaurants, at our resort.

And a good "off day" activity was renting a small boat (what are they called again?) and driving around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake.

Also a relaxing meal at the cooler (and shaded) Trails End at FW.

I have been going in July/August and have had no problems with the heat. Actually, one year there was a heat wave up north in New England over 100s and no days over 90 at WDW...go figure! On the flip side, we've been there when it was SUPER hot...which never really bothers me. We use the DlxDP and get relaxing air conditioned breaks from the heat. The indoor rides and attractions are air conditioned as well and some of the lines are too. We have had some trips that were ALL rain and others with brief showers and still yet some that had NO rain at all...bring plastic rain ponchos from home (cheaper). Just dress accordingly and you should be fine. :flower3:

We went the first week of June last year and it was pretty nice actually for the first half, in the 80's each day. But on our last full day it was in the 90's with the hot sun beating down. We lasted only a few hours at the magic kingdom before we just couldn't take it anymore.

If you could go as early in the summer as possible then you could still luck out on not-so-bad weather.

~Cari~ pluto:

I've been almost every month EXCEPT July.
I've been many times last week of August, even last time was the last 2 weeks (5 nights) of August, and that trip was amazing! No crowds. We actually had to stop by Target to buy sweatshirts for cool evenings. Yes, almost every afternoon had showers. We were quite chill that trip, since we had so many days. We didn't spend more than 4 or 5 hours at most in the parks.
This year spring break was 2 weeks ago, and it was hotter than we had ever had! Almost 90 daily. It was crazy hot!
I would say late August is great. Low crowds. Yes showers are possible. Daily. Pack an umbrella. Wear hiking sandals. Lots of attractions are indoors. Enjoy!
PS: OP, you mention your MIL? First trip for your family, the hardest thing you can do is involve and/or bring extended family. Trust me. I'd let them go on their own and do their own thing.

I go at the end of August, annually. And yeah, it is H O T. But here is how we handle the heat:
Wake up early. Get to a park when it first opens. Drink tons and tons of water. Take breaks, wear sunscreen, spend as much time inside as possible (which is fairly easy to do since a lot of the rides and attractions are inside). When peak heat start to kick in (noonish or so): have lunch, go back to the resort. Swim, nap, whatever. Just unwind and chill. Late afternoon/early evening: get ready and go to a park until it closes. Grab some dinner, ride some rides, see some shows, etc.

The following rides and shows are really good for a nice break from the heat:
Hall of Presidents, Magic Kingdom
Ellen's Universe of Energy, Epcot
The Great Movie Ride and/or One Man's Dream, Hollywood Studios
It's Tough to Be a Bug, Animal Kingdom

I go at the end of August, annually. And yeah, it is H O T. But here is how we handle the heat:
Wake up early. Get to a park when it first opens. Drink tons and tons of water. Take breaks, wear sunscreen, spend as much time inside as possible (which is fairly easy to do since a lot of the rides and attractions are inside). When peak heat start to kick in (noonish or so): have lunch, go back to the resort. Swim, nap, whatever. Just unwind and chill. Late afternoon/early evening: get ready and go to a park until it closes. Grab some dinner, ride some rides, see some shows, etc.

The following rides and shows are really good for a nice break from the heat:
Hall of Presidents, Magic Kingdom
Ellen's Universe of Energy, Epcot
The Great Movie Ride and/or One Man's Dream, Hollywood Studios
It's Tough to Be a Bug, Animal Kingdom

These are really some great tips. I'm going to add to them. I feel like I have decent advice after going during mid-August last year.
  • Don't buy bottled water - just ask for a cup of ice water at any counter service restaurant or snack shop. If you're lucky, the clerk will give you a big soda cup instead of a see-through little water cup. (A clerk at Universal gave DH and I both LARGE soda cups filled with ice water and even put ice and cold water in our water misting fan!) Have a cup of water in your hand pretty much at all possible times. Really, avoid soda or anything that would dehydrate you. I didn't have any alcohol on our last trip, as tempting as it was to drink around the world... :drinking1
  • Don't get a Fastpass for rides that have air-conditioned queues, even if those rides have long wait times. For example - Space Mountain. The queue is completely indoors and is one of the best breaks from the heat you'll get! Get Fastpasses for rides that have long outdoor queues, like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, etc. An exception to this would be Toy Story Midway Mania - don't go in to that without a Fastpass...
  • Embrace the rain and water rides. Go on the water rides just before you have your mid-day breaks (you really, really will need them) - it will feel so refreshing and you'll dry off on your walk back to the park exit.
  • If you get heat sick, just call it a day. Don't fight it and feel worse. Go back to your hotel. Take a nap. I got heat sick at Universal. It really sucked because we were staying on Disney property - the taxi ride is long and expensive, so we couldn't go back. But at least I made it to 6 pm without an afternoon break.
  • Train yourself this summer before you go - force yourself to get out there in the worst heat of the day as much as possible to build up a tolerance. I'm going to try to do that this year so it isn't so much of a shock. I'm from Wisconsin which certainly has hot temperatures in August like anywhere else, but we really don't have anything near the humidity of Florida. That's something I can't train for...
  • BUY FROGG TOGGS. They sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond - you don't have to go through Amazon. They are 100% THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM you can have with you in Florida in the summer. They're not cute but necessary. Leave them on when you take photos or it will look like you were sweating! A water misting fan isn't a bad idea either (IN ADDITION to the Frogg Toggs), but bring extra batteries - you'll need them!
  • Don't bother dressing "cute." I was so concerned about photos that I brought sundresses, jean shorts, etc. This time, I will bring only one sundress for one nice meal but will wear athletic clothes the entire trip.
  • Depending how long you'll stay, you'll probably have to do laundry. You'll undoubtedly want to change clothes at least once a day - you will 100% start sweating the moment you step outside! Laundry is NOT a big deal if you stay on Disney property. Laundry facilities are almost always next to pools, so you can swim while your laundry runs! Here's an awesome link in case you don't want to hang at the pool - it shows you when your laundry is done.
  • Try to go during mid-late August. Last year, Orlando schools were back in session on August 18th - I think that made a difference in crowd levels. This allowed us to do just about everything we wanted to do despite taking mid-day breaks.

I hope this is helpful - I promise I'm not trying to scare you! I swore last year that I would never go in August again, but here I am - just booked my flight in mid-August! I really can't help the timing since I'm a teacher... but honestly, we had SO much fun that we are willing to deal with the heat and humidity yet again! :sunny:

It's very hot and humid with afternoon rain showers most days- no way around it. It's doable if you plan your schedule to fit the heat. A lot depends on your family's tolerance for high heat and humidity.

Most people who have a successful summer vacation in WDW are the people who get up early for rope drop and leave the park by lunch time, head back to the resort for a swim or a nap, before then heading back to the park for fireworks. But if your family likes to sleep in, summer would not be a good time to go.

We have only ever going to WDW in July or August, due to sports schedules and school. We love that time and will continue to go during the summer because we are rope drop and close down the park people. Take the mid day break and nap if you need it. We love the longer hours in the parks. Go for a longer length of time so you have time to slow down a little bit.

What kind of effect do rain/thunderstorms have on the parks? Do people scatter and run for cover? Do most rides close?

What kind of effect do rain/thunderstorms have on the parks? Do people scatter and run for cover? Do most rides close?

I think it's hit or miss. We went in mid-August for 10 days last summer, and the rain only affected our plans once. We were at Epcot when rain came out of nowhere. It was so wild that we wondered if what we were experiencing was similar to a hurricane! Strong winds, hard rain, sidewalks flooding, etc... We decided that since we were so exhausted already that we were just going to head out for the day and we walked through it. People under cover were randomly scattered through our walk; they clapped and cheered us on as we made our way against the rain and wind. We made it from France to Spaceship Earth before a CM stopped us and said we really should be inside.

I don't know if that's typical, but I don't remember experiencing rain of any significance at any other time during our trip.

We grew up in South Fl and currently live in Texas- so we are used to the heat- but you are outside SO much of the time that it really is a beating. We go in june because my wife won't let me pull the kids out in September or January which is when I'd go given a choice of weather / crowds. We do fine because we have a really good understanding of the layouts- what we need to do- etc so can pace ourselves with lots of breaks for the kids- activities inside (we'll spend 30 minutes in a gift shop just to get the kids body temperatures down (yes- its that bad and yes, we think that way)...If you have to- fine- just spend a lot of time here pre planning to make sure you get the most out of your trip

We hadn't been to wdw during summer since 2009 so we decided to go last July. The heat index was 105 6 out of our 8 days. It was unbearable but we drank lots of water and had quality pool time. We started staying out as late as possible and sleeping in the next day. We are going back this year in November. However, I would rather go during summer and deal with the heat than not go at all.

Having spent a summer in Orlando I would recommend October - April for a trip. My family lives in Houston though so we have to deal with heat. One of the things I did enjoy in Orlando is that it does rain in the summer unlike Houston - it did help IMO.

But if you do plan a summer trip - definitely prepare for it - this is how i dealt with a summer at the parks -
Frogg Toggs - very helpful
Each day I took 2 frozen water bottles to the parks with me - so helpful!
Soaking my head and bare feet in cold/cool water whenever I needed a cool off - know where the kids splash and play areas are at the parks - or use a restroom - you definitely don't want to get heat exhaustion.
Utilize the free ice water at counter service locations..
Choose restaurants that are air conditioned - never underestimate the helpfulness of attractions like Hall of Presidents, Nemo, Lion King, Shows at the World Showcase etc. - indoor, air conditioned bliss - know where they are so in the event of a melt down you can find the closest indoor attraction pronto.
Go early - leave early and go late - leaving a huge break in the worst heat of the day to enjoy an air-conditioned nap.
The movie theatre at DTD is a nice break too.

Have a great trip whatever you decide-

We go last week of August due to kids school schedule and discounts. With that said it is hot, but we are fine with it. The worst though is Animal Kingdom, that is surface of the sun hot. Last year we went to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time and really enjoyed it, especially during the summer.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've been in humid weather before, so I *think* I could handle it. I doubt my mom or girls could. My DH is questionable, but he has already said he doesn't want to go in the summer. So we'll see.

I think that has your answer. If you know your Mom and gilrs can handle the heat then it would be advisable to avoid the hottest months.

We will be taking our second June trip. I know June is not as hot as July / August on average but it's still very hot and humid. We tour in the morning, head back to the hotel in the afternoon for snacks and pool time before heading back out to a park for the evening. The heat just changes our schedule but I don't feel like we get less done. As much as I love the parks it is really nice to get that afternoon pool time. It forces me to get some relation time on a vacation that is not much about physical relaxation.

Good luck planning your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter