• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad are side effects of patches?

TX000

Earning My Ears
I have a prescription for the patches for seasickness and I can't decide if I should have it filled. I heard that one of the side effects is drowsiness. If anyone has used the patches, please tell me if they worked well for you or if you experienced any bad side effects, how drowsy they made you, etc. I am leaving for the cruise this weekend so I need to decide quickly.

Thanks!!!

DH tried them on our June 2001 cruise and was not able to use them. Within 30 min. of putting one on his eyes were dialated and he felt dizzy. As soon as we took it off, within min. he was fine. What we have use for our last 2 cruises were the Seabands, they go on our wrists and have been just fine the whole time, and our last cruise in Jan. was really rocky!

My DH and DD used them without too much trouble...but my SIL swears by ginger pills....no side effects and the clear motionsickness right up....

I used the patches and found them very effective. They did not cause drowsiness for me at all. I am very prone to motion sickness and used them the entire trip (incuding the days at the theme parks since some of the attractions cause problems for me as well). On the package instructions, they tell you to wash your hands before and after touching the patch because any medication left on your fingers can easily be transferred to your eyes and cause problems (like pupil dilation). I was careful to wash my hands after applying the patch and made sure to keep my hands away from it until it was time to remove and replace it. There are lots of other more "natural" remedies, but I was afraid to risk being sick for our long anticipated vacation.

They are horrible. I used it for my first cruise on my honeymoon. I was totally delerious. I did not even know who my husband was. Thank goodness that he read the box and took it off of me. Felt normal again the next morning, but sea sick as anything. I take a perscription for antivert now with no problems or sleepiness.

There are 2 parts to this answer. I used them on our 3 day in Dec 2001 without any side effects at all. I used them again in Jan 2003 and could not see (vision was extremely blurry) for 2 days even after taking off the patch. I have since been diagnosed with closed angle glaucoma (not from the use of the patch) which could have enhanced the bad side affects of the patch. My dh has used the patch without any ill affects at all on 2 cruises and he is very prone to motion sickness.

Just be sure that you get the ok from you doctor and you do not have any existing eye problems which may be aggravated by using the patch.

Nancy

They are horrible. I used it for my first cruise on my honeymoon. I was totally delerious. I did not even know who my husband was. Thank goodness that he read the box and took it off of me. Felt normal again the next morning, but sea sick as anything. I take a perscription for antivert now with no problems or sleepiness.

I just got back from my cruise about 2 weeks ago and was also very hesitant about using the patch. I am very prone to sea sickness. The only side effect that I had was dry mouth and it was only for the first day(I used 2 patches on the cruise). I was very happy with the way the patch worked. On a previous cruise I used sea bands and bonine and neither worked for me, I was sick the entire cruise. However the ocean was pretty rough (8-12 ft waves).

The older or thinner you are the worst the side effects. I used it once and my vision was SO blurry I couldn't read a menu or walk straight. My mom used it, had blurry vision and vomited from it. I would NEVER use it again....go with Bonine or something that has less side effects....the patch is not worth it!

My DH used them and thought they were the greatest thing ever. Why don't you try one before you leave? That way your vacation won't be ruined.

My adult dtr. and I used them our 1st cruise and we slept 2/3 of the cruise. Our eyes were like red cherries, we were so sensitive to the light we had to wear dark glasses even at night, it felt like sand or grit in my eyes so bad I was in agony (stupid me - never thought to take the darn thing off!) As soon as I did I was fine within hours. DD also had dry mouth and nausea from it.
Now we take a bonine 2 hrs. before boarding and one every day around the same time after that and we're fine. Both of us get sea sick very easily without the bonine.

The patch contains a drug called scopolamine which is related to belladonna. It acts as an anticholonergic, meaning that it affects the reception of certain chemicals in your nervous system.

Dry mouth is by far the most common side effect. Drowsiness, pupil dilation, decreased gut motility (sometimes leading to constipation), urinary retention (a potential side effect that is bad for folks with already enlarged prostates,) and increased heart rate are also fairly common and are directly related to the action of the drug. A fair number of people also experience a withdrawl syndrome after the patch is removed including headache and dizziness.

Meclizine (Bonine)has far fewer side effects and a dose of 25 mg a day is effective in the majority of people. If you would like to try the patch, I would agree with giving it a "dry run" on land before you cruise.

There are some great posts written by a pharmacist that discuss the risks and benefits of all the available meds for motion sickness. I am a physician, and because of the side effect profiles, I always choose meclizine over scopolamine.

I hope this is helpful.

Renee

Just like zacsmom I used them on my honeymoon and spent the first three days in the cabin, sick like I had never been before. And it was an inside cabin, yerk! I waited 14 years to cruise again and was on the Wonder last August and again last week. I took Bonine and put on the sea bands both times and did fine. Oh, and by the way, no more inside cabins for me... the only way to cruise is with a verandah. At least if you get sick you can still see something! That proved to be a good choice especially this time because one of us was sick (looked like it was the Norwalk virus...)

i had problems after the cruise...I took the patch off right away, and then i got sick. My doctor said that you should leave the patch on for twenty four hours after debarking from the ship...not sure about if this would have made a difference, because i have only used them once on my first cruise, and didn't need them after that.

I think this might vary from dr. to dr. Mine heard about all the problems the patch caused me and said ," you should have taken it off sooner!" I also told him my DD had a feeling like her heart was racing. My dr. said she should have taken the patch off at the 1st sign of heart irregularity.
I know some people swear by the patch, but I would try it at home before counting on using it on your vacation.

Wow....seems like some things works for some folks and some things work for other folks....I am just glad we never had a problem with motion sickness.

We are bringing my DD19 two college roomates along with us in May and I think I will suggest the sea bands if they have a problem. Hoping they won't!!!

MJ

I experienced side effects...But they were acceptable considering how miserable I was with the motion sickness. There were a couple of noticable side effects...dry mouth and mild sleepiness. BE VERY CAREFUL PUTTING IT ON AND TAKING IT OFF! Wash your hands! I made the mistake of accidently rubbing my eye and ended up with completely blurred vision for most of the day. I scared myself pretty good until I made the connection. :rolleyes:

I'll probably take them along on our next cruise but I'm thinking about Bonine (sp) as a possibility too. I hate the thought of ruining a vacation with motion sickness!

I just remembered what I did after the first cruise...I cut the patch in half and only used part of it. I am pretty sensitive to medications to begin with and found that the half dose worked fantastic for me as it reduced the side effects. Hope this helps someone out there.

Gotta got pack...:Pinkbounc

Thanks to all of you who replied. I think I'll give the patch a "dry run" the day before. If it doesn't work out, I'd take Bonine and the Seaband. I should get myself covered pretty good, don't you think? Oh, one more thing: I bought a box of Dramamine last week. Does it work as well as Bonine? I bought it because it says For Adults and Children so I was planning for the whole family to use it.

Dramamine can cause drowsiness, Bonine (brand name for meclizine) does NOT for most people. Bonine is not for kids under age 12, though.

Just a comment, unless any of you are very prone to motion sickness you most likely will not need ANY medication at all. I definitely would not medicate the kids unless they have motion sickness problems. Meclizine works VERY well with minimal side effects and if you don't currently have motion sickness problems I would definitely go with that before using the patch.

Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter