How bad are free DDP crowds?

CouchFamily1998

Earning My Ears
We are looking to go maybe Sept.7-17. How bad are the crowds? It is the week after Labor Day. We went about then on our Honeymoon 9 years ago and the parks were almost dead. I know it will be more crowded now, just wondering how much more crowded. :confused3

We're BAD! BAD to the bone!

Just kidding!

We went last Sept and are going this Sept too! Since it was my first time I have nothing to compare it to really but it seemed pretty great to me! We didn't wait very long fif at all for anything. From these boards it sounds like free DDP has made things busier but it seemed really manageable to us.

We went last September. The parks are not that busy, but the sit-down restaurants are! Make your ADRs as early as you can! We really had a bad experience at Ohana totally due to free dining. We had 8:30 ressie so we could watch the fireworks at Dinner. Kids were starved and it was after 9:30 when we finally got seated, in the corner, not even in the main dining room and after the server found out we were on the dining plan, they literally "dumped" all the courses on the table at the same time, BEFore we had even gotten our drinks.

It was really too bad , because Ohana is one of our FAVES. That being said, we'll go back again, but make ressies for 8:00 instead. We'll give them another shot!

Cowboy is dead on.The only ride we waited on last Sept was Kali. Everything else was 5 minutes or so and many were walkons. But dining was wild. H&V we had to wait for a table for a half hour. That's with an ADR. Biergarten was the restaurant at Epcot taking walkins and they were waiting an hour. However, we got tickets to HDDR for Sept 8 this year last week, 9:30 show. You will have to be flexible in when and where, but you can still get some good stuff.

I have a question. I have ressies for the California Grill , on our WEDDING NIGHT, at 9:00. I really wanted to see wishes what time should we arrive?

What time is wishes that night? If it is a 9:00, I'd move my ressie back to 45 minutes before Wishes. The reason ia because for the last 1/2 hour up to Wishes, almost no tables turn over because everyone wants to see the show.

We were there last year at the end of Sept and had NO problems with anything! Lines were very short, and the wait at restaurants was next to nothing. I think our longest wait was the last night at O'hana, for a 6pm ressie. We waited 15 minutes. Granted, we made ALL our ADR's at the 6 month window.
We're going again this year...all our ADR's made.

IMO, I'd make the reservation for 8pm on your wedding night. Just to be safe.

We went early September, like the 6th to the 12th or something. We even went to the park that was having EMH evenings that day and we walked on almost every ride.

That is still a slow time of year, the free dining is to pick things up a bit.

The restaurants do book up much further ahead than normal.

We went Sept. 13-18 last year during free dining, and when we arrived the parks were dead. We walked on everything, even rode Everest three times in a row when it opened. A couple of older CM's said it was the slowest they had ever seen. So much for all of my touring plans!! They went right out the window:yay: ! We had ADR's and never waited for a table, and I don't remember thinking the restaurants were that crowded at all. You will be so happy you are going then!!

We also had very little waiting except one afternoon in Magic Kingdom. I think we were just spoiled - waiting 15 - 20 minutes seemed like too much for us. :rotfl: Also had no trouble at restaurants, but I think most of our ADR's were for less popular times like early lunches and dinners.

This will be my first time going down during free dinning... and I'm no longer worried about the crowd levels...

As soon as I heard the free dinning rumors (from another forum site) I headed over to dis to see what was going on. Sure enough... the threads were already 500+ posts long... thats the dis for ya!

First thing I noticed was the "fears" of crowds... I let it get to me too! There was talk about resorts selling out for the special, the 40% code, the bounce back, and the UK promotion... and how all of that combined would slam the parks...

:rolleyes:

Disney's is down right desperate... if they're willing to offer that many discounts for that time period! And hey... who am I to complain... I'm getting free food out of the deal! I just went in January and if it's anything like that I'll be in my glory! We rode Everest 6 times in a matter of 90 mins... twice in the front... twice in the back... twice in the middle. Only discount they offered for that time period was a free ticket upgrade.

I read a lot of trip reports from free dinning last year to see what to expect. My new fear is the heat and humidity... not the crowds :headache:

The TS places are full, the parks are empty... we stayed over Labor day weekend last year, on tuesday after the holiday you would think someone flipped a switch and everyone was gone. At noon that tuesday we walked on Buzz, and did not have to get off as there was no one in line. Around 2pm we rode BTMRR 5 or 6 times I think, in the front car, with out getting off. AFter that many times we were done riding, but someone did show up that wanted the front car, so we moved on.

The next day, over the couse of the day at Epcot, the longest wait for Soarin' was 10 min.

The only thing that is wonky that time of year is that Sprectromagic is not every night, and wishes runs early.

August/September has always been slow, as long as I can remember (not as much August I guess, but schools seem to start much earlier than when I was younger).

I don't think they are desparate - but resort occupancy is supposed to be 90% much of the year right now. It's a good opportunity for Disney to offer the dining plan, free, for guests to try out. And many do buy it the next time they go to Disney.

Thanks I feel much better. We went on our Honeymoon for 2 weeks, one week before and one week after Labor Day and it was the same. Right after LAbor Day the parks emptied. I don't mind the heat as much as crowds. If I have time for breaks and rest I am happy. But I have no patience waiting in lines. :sad2:

I am pulling my DD out of school for 5-6 days and taking that many unpaid. I am a teacher aide (in other words underemployed teacher) I figured it out that if we waited until my October break it would be about the same figuring in lost wages. I am leaning towards the free DDP. Sounds like crowds are lighter and I love the idea of 'free' food. :rotfl: Either way DD misses school. They won't be happy but oh well. She is at the top of the class and with me being a teacher I will make it educational anyway. Its an occupational hazzard. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter