• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are weather/water conditions at Castaway Cay in December?

Southern girl here. Am I going to freeze?

I'm glad you asked this question. We are considering sailing on the Magic in December of 2014 and was curious about the temps. I'm certain the water at CC will be too cold for me without a shorty wetsuit (another southern girl here) but that's fine as long as it isn't too cold for lounging and bike riding. Either way, I think having the ship decorated for Christmas will make it worth it. :)

Southern girl here. Am I going to freeze?

Grew up in Alabama, currently live in Arizona. We were on the Fantasy for the New Years cruise-water was chilly (think Pacific ocean not the Gulf) but we still floated around in it. The weather was perfect for sitting in the sun with our toes in the water! You should be fine. Have fun!

We have been at CC the first week of December and the last week of November. We are from CT so are pretty used to colder water/temps.

Both times it was very breezy (sometimes down right windy) but the sun was warm when it was out. It was definitely cold when you were wet, but we still went in the water and tried out Pelican Plunge.

If you aren't planning on being in the water the entire day, you will be fine, and it will be perfect for biking.

When we were there in December 2011 the air temperature was fine (and rather warm when running the 5k). The water temperature was cold (around 70).

We were there twice in early December 2012 (B2B). The first stop was gorgeous. Sunny and warm. The second time all of our excursions were cancelled because the wind was too high. It was still sunny and nice enough to sit on the beach and eat outside. Water was probably warm but we ended up going back to the ship and spending time on the Aquaduck. It was definitely warm enough for that (7 times in a row). I always find the water slightly cool even in May but you do get used to it. It's the wind that can be cool.

December Averages
Air High = 77.9
Air Low = 64.3
Water = 75.3
Rainfall = 2.1

In Dec 2010 we went during mid December, and it was breezy and cold. All CC excursions were cancelled. My mom wore a Columbia rain jacket. We did a bit of water stuff but it was freezing when the wind picked up.

In Dec 2012, my brother and his family cruised the week before Christmas and missed Castaway Cay due to high winds.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to cruise in December, unless I had to. I actually enjoyed hurricane season more (Oct).

We cruised in December 2011. We were comfortable sitting on the beach, but not getting in the water. DDs were in the water and on the slides all day with no problem. I think kids have a higher tolerance for cold water! I got in and waded around a little bit, but it definitely wasnt a pleasant temperature. That doesn't mean we didn't LOVE our day at CC. Just spent more time on the beach and less time actually in the water. :)

we went Dec 10 2010, the kids and dh swam at CC, the water was too cold for me.

the air temp was perfect!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter