How are the Salvation Army thrift stores in other areas?

babiesX2

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>There is nothing
In the past, I avoided my local Salvation Army Thrift Shop because it was full of over priced, broken, useless things. Since my Goodwill fiasco a few weeks ago, I stopped in at my local SATS because they had a sign out for a "shoe sale" 50 cents per pair! Anyway, they have cleaned it up alot and organized it. I found DD13 some American Eagle shorts for $1 pair! And some Doc Martens for 50 cents! I picked up a Fisher Price Ocean Wonders toy for the twins for $3 that looks brand new. I was just wondering how are the SATS in other areas? Have they cleaned up some or were they always shoppable?

I love my SAS!

I get a lot of stuff for ebay from Salvation Army.I bought a pair of "7 for all mankind" jeans for 2.00 and sold then for over 100.00 on ebay.I usually try to go everyday, it's a pain because you spent so much time going thru the merchandise(they do not have it organized) but sometimes you get some great deals.

Linnette

I shop SA primarily for clothes. I have to agree that their toys and housewares are generally overpriced and broken, but their clothes are usually a bargain. In fact, they recently revised their pricing structure so it's consistent from store to store and I'm pleased.

All thrift stores are overpriced near me. The Goodwill was selling an old couch for $400 that you could get brand new at roomstore for $300. I have a hard time believing anyone actually buys anything there.

We have some good ones and some bad ones. They had built a few brand new stores in the last 2 years and they are really nice. The pricing is always fair across the board, w/ the exception of one of the older grungy ones. They are waaaay overpriced.

That being said. I don't know about anywhere else, but around here (all 3 counties I shop in) the Salvation Army is 50% off on Wednesday's this is for all clothing and shoes of 4 tag colors-- meaning only 1 tag color is not 50% off. The tag colors change weekly of course. But as their ad says that means over 80% of the clothing and shoes in the store are 1/2 off. I got some incredible deals last Wednesday when I went. I got ds a brand new winter coat (Arizona from JC Penny's) for $2.00.

We have three stores in a row, full of JUNK. Everything there is just crap -- it's like a rummage sale gone bad. They have broken furniture, visibly broken, trying to sell for $40 or $50. Mens briefs...um am I missing something? You can already get a 5-pack for like $6 bucks at Walmart! I went in once and don't plan on ever returning.

I prefer the Salvation Army to Goodwill in our area.

In the last year some of my good buys were:

Books- .50
Videos- $1

27 inch TV with remote-$42
End table- $20 (looked it up and it was $385 new)
Toys

Christmas gifts!!!!! For some reason our SA gets closeouts from local stores. I got $25 bath and bodywork sets, still sealed, for $2 each. I bought 10 of them and will use them for Christmas this year. They also got VHS kids' tapes for .50 each (new and sealed). I bought 25 of them for prizes for the kids at church. There were brand new picture frames that had $10 tags on them. They were .50 each. I got 25 of them last year and gave them as gifts.

Dawn

I'm glad my local SAS has caught up with others. Great deals are to be had. Maybe now that they have cleaned up in their more people will start donating there. I think the clothes are better at SAS than GW because it is nearer to the college.

Looks like the Wed 50% is in more than just my location. Now if only my SA or Goodwill would get those store closeouts some of you are getting-- we don't have any of that around here.

Our Salvation Army, Goodwill, and Hospice Attic clearly have professional "pickers" go through their merchandise before it hits the sales floor. There is nothing of any value on the sales floor. The clothes can be found cheaper at Walmart and the rest of the merchandise looks like it came from the dump. Seriously--it's stuff that would be in the "free" box at a yardsale or hauled off to the dump.

The local Junior League has a thrift store with some nice clothes (donated by Junior League members I'm sure).

For great bargains, I go to yard sales and some estate sales and rarely bother with our local thrifts. I've heard thrifts in other areas are better than ours, though.

Is your SA 50% off of everything in the store?

We occasionally have 50% off days but only on clothing. And it isn't every Wed.

I rarely buy clothing there. For some reason they never have much for the kids' clothing racks and it isn't well organized for clothing.

For clothes we go to Value Village.

Dawn

kilee said:
Looks like the Wed 50% is in more than just my location. Now if only my SA or Goodwill would get those store closeouts some of you are getting-- we don't have any of that around here.

It's 50% off all clothing and shoes of 4 tag colors. So it might be all items w/ pink, white, green, and blue tags are 50% off this week. 1 color tag is left out of the sale. I got some great Lane Bryant items as well as GAP (for kids) items.

Ah, ok. Yeah, ours has that too. I haven't shopped for clothing in a while. I have been looking for mugs, kitchen items, toys and books. Oh, and I bought a TV recently.

Dawn

kilee said:
It's 50% off all clothing and shoes of 4 tag colors. So it might be all items w/ pink, white, green, and blue tags are 50% off this week. 1 color tag is left out of the sale. I got some great Lane Bryant items as well as GAP (for kids) items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter